Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope to soon be a first time Cadillac owner. :) I'm looking at a '96 Deville with 92,000 miles on it. It is in excellent shape and drives very nice. It was a trade in and the dealer has had it for more than 30 days and has just reduced their price to $4997. Just wanting to know if there is anyone out there who could tell me if I should pull the trigger or not. Was '96 a good model year? And what kind of problems should I expect on the horizon with that many miles on it? THX

·
Registered
97 Deville
93 Posts
Well for the year and the mileage it's not bad i bought a 97 deville a few years ago with 80k and i paid $5500 after tax i still the beautiful car she is still running strong and has 98,520 miles at the moment. Anyways To beging i would try to talk them down a bit since the car has been sitting for a while maybe somewhere around 4300-4500 second i know carfax doesn't tell you everything about a car but sometimes you find things in the carfax that will decide whether you purchase the car or not. Test drive car like you would any other car and of course make sure you test everything and make sure everything works take the car on the interstate if you can to see how it function at higher speeds. Now as far as the car goes i would definately change the coolant, change the tranny fluid, check the on how the serpentine belt looks, inspect the engine for any fluid leaks, and the last thing i would do the car if i purchased it would a fresh tune-up oil change, air filter, oil change, spark plugs wires depending on the condition of the wires because they are not cheap. I'm not a car expert but thats just what i would do if i bought the car.

Well good luck hope everything goes well.

·
Registered
1996 Deville (sold), 2000 Mustang GT
1,300 Posts
Chances are if it has been there for a long time, there is a reason. I bought a 96 deville with 82,000 miles only to find out the headgasket was bad a month later. Go to pepboys, buy and exhaust gas test, all it is a strip that you dip into the coolant and it will check for exhaust gases. Headgaskets are a MAJOR issue, and the only thing that prevents them is coolant flushes, which unless you have service records, you have no idea if they were done. I hope its not my 96 deville, it needed a 1000 dollar a/c compressor repair, and another couple thousand in suspension work.

D

·
0 Posts
Head gasket problems on these cars do not always show themselves at first. This is a very expensive repair, one that could easily cost you as much to fix as you are paying for the car and its very common in the Northstar motors but especially the earlier models. Be aware of this problem before getting the car, many here including myself wish we were more aware of this BEFORE we decided to buy. There are a couple of people here that have not had this problem and swear by the Northstar motor though. Ask mechanics in the area about Northstar Cadillacs and what they think of them and take into account what they tell you. My guess is that they will make you not want one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts