Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so today I got bored and decided to take a look at a '94 Fleetwood Brougham for sale in my area. It was dark blue with dark blue velour. It was as big as I imagined, with that very deep dashboard and very enormous interior.

When I got in it, I was surprised because the seats are a lot firmer than the seats in my deville. In my deville you sink right into them. In the Fleetwood, it supports you more. It's quite firm for a Cadillac, not as comfortable as I like. I really liked how the 1994's have the 3 way lumbar, and I thought it was really cool that the FWB's have heated cloth seats! I forgot how wide those B & D bodies are. They are truly a LOT bigger than my deVille. Just like in my Roadmaster, the faux wood trim is coming off the doors, but the interior seems of a higher quality.

I started it up and it idled a lot smoother than the 4.9 does, and it seemed quieter. I didn't get to drive it, because I wasnt gonna buy it right now. I think that car may be a little too long for me to drive easily, but the visibilty was alright, but the tiny mirrors sucked.

Then later, I drove a '95 Eldorado, and I really liked that car.

It felt kinda cramped compared to my car, and it had very poor visibilty out the rear. But I really liked the seats, they were very supportive and still very soft and had plush leather. The seats hugged you like the seats in my friends '95 Bonneville SSE. I don't particularly like the dashboards in the 92-95 Eldos, but its not that bad. I really like the heated seats and floor shift/console.

The steering was nicely weighted and it was pretty quiet inside except for when you got on the throttle and boy that N* sounds nice! It's surprisingly loud for a Cadillac. That Northstar is a very nice motor. It has about 90% of the low end torque of the 4.9, but it pulls much harder above 60mph.
I really like the N*, but I am leery of the aluminium V8's after experienceing some of the things with my 4.9.

Out of the two, I would probably choose the Eldorado because it feels like it fits me more and even though I like the drivetrain of the FWB more, I would like to get the Eldo because I've never had a coupe, and I hear great things about the N*.

What would you choose?

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
I love em both....I owned the FWB and loved it.
But the engine was weak for a tank of that size (no offense to any FWB owners) in contrast I was VERY surprised at how fast/quick my N* equipped Deville feels. I'd say its not even a close call in terms of performance.
Since I have already had my turn at the FWB and I wanna try a coupe....I would choose the Eldo.

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Never owned the FWB but have owned a 4.9 Eldorado and three Northstars.

Combining the two would be VERY nice, I'd take the Eldo.

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Damn.... now I want a Sport Coupe!

Cadillac Eldorado ETC or a Lincoln Mark VIII or a Lexus SC400
I like the VIII's looks the best, the interior of the Eldo, and the engineering behind the SC

What about you? What would you pick?

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

v.

v.

v.

v.

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Lexus looks like a 1995 Nissan 240SX in profile.

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah, it doesnt look luxurious enough like the Mark VIII, it looks smaller and sportier.

·
Registered
1996 Eldorado Sport Coupe, 2009 Black Navigator
5,032 Posts
Toss a coin between the Eldo & the Mark, both are very nice cars(with very expensive shocks/struts).

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
My thoughts:

Eldo looks the best from the outside. (1 point for eldo)
The lexus looks the best on the inside (1 point for Lex)
Lexus is the most reliable BY FAR (1 point for Lex)

Winner --> Lexus

I have to disagree with McC on this....I think the Lincoln looks like crap on the inside. Its so cheap and horrible in person.

The lexus looks bland but it exudes quality up front in person.

·
Registered
1989 Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance|2018 Chevy Colorado Z71
6,421 Posts
I'm not big on Lexus either. Lexus is too close to Nissan where as Cadillac and Lincoln are pretty far from Chevy and Ford. Cadillac more so than Lincoln really, but still.

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
True, about the Lexus having the best quality, but I can imagine it would have higher insurance rates and it probably has the highest theft levels. I am amazed with the 4.0 DOHC V8 they have in that. It seems to be quite the motor. The Lincoln's interior is very nicely designed, but it does have a lot of cheap, hard plastics on the dashboard and door panels. The Caddy definetly has the best interior of the three!

·
Banned
1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII
7,971 Posts
The Lexus is not a luxury sport coupe in my mind. It's way too "boy racer" to be luxury.

IMO interior goes to the Eldo. The Mark is nice, and has the cool dash but overall the Eldo is warmer and more inviting it seems to me. The Lexus interior looks like ass, and not a nice ass like Jennifer Lopez's ass. Overcomplicated center console and the shifter looks straight out of 1984.

Exterior goes to the Eldo as well I think. If you like rounder cars then the Mark. If you want to be mistaken for a $10k Civic, get the Lexus.

As far as the engine/drivetrain goes, the ETC is gonna outrun the LSC Mark, which is gonna outrun the SC400. If you want to keep it stock or near stock, the ETC is the way to go. If you want a 12 second street demon with class, the 4.6 4v in the RWD Mark is definately the ticket. If you wanna be "JDM Tyte, yo!" go for the SC400...

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well I really like the RWD configuration more, but I may want to stick with FWD if I stay in MN. Also, as much as I like the N*, I dont like the Transverse V8's. It's quite hard to access simple things like plugs and wires.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts