Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
96 FWB
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I searched but couldn't find a fitting thread, so how long have you owned your RWD Cady - either one, or a continuous string of them? My numbers are 16 and 20 years respectively. ;)

I mentioned on another thread having given up my driver of 16 years, but only after taking 2 years deciding on what I'd replace it with; - STS-V, XLR, Caprice PPV, even a Marauder or last gen Town Car (but either would require a redone 460). So, 4 years ago for something completely different I picked another Butt-Ugly White Vinyl '96, this time an Arizona 52k miler, -- to start all over again. lol

I've got most everything underneath the way I like it, and I'll be stealing the paint off a 2-tone Maybach, or perhaps even a much older Cady. But again, away with all the chrome ::yecck::

·
Registered
1980 FBC
969 Posts
I've owned RWD Cadillacs continuously since April or May of 1979.

Every one has either a 368, 425, 472 or 500. Several had two different displacements at different times.

My current ride has a 45 year old 500.

·
Registered
91 Brougham 5.7
56 Posts
Bought my 91 in June 2000, so almost 20 years, and almost half my life, lol. That ain't gonna get the record here though.

·
Registered
95 FWB 81SDV 96 FWB 94 Fleetwood
1,435 Posts
Ok let me see if I can jog my memory. I got my first Caddy in 1971, it was a convertible . It was a 63. Then I had 2 more 63's at the same time. Then came a 74 deville. Next was my 81 deville , that was in 1988, I still have it today. Then a 86FWB and a 92FWB...Then came the 94-96 fleetwoods . Had 5 of them and still have 3 of them on the road today.. Before that I was a Oldsmobile man, had 3 of them in the 60's. I could have forgot one or two cars

·
Registered
96 FWB
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
someone on another section said:
90's Cadillacs, or really all GM cars for that matter, were the dark ages of GM interior design, fit & finish, and panel gap. I love the direction Cadillac is taking now. Well, was taking...the CT4/5 are massive disappointments imo.
someone on another section said:
I'm pretty new to owning a Cadillac. I recently bought a 2016 [....] coupe base model. It was a one owner lease turn in with a clean carfax report. Im happy with the car thus far, but sceptical about all the electronics in these new cars today. I did experience some torque converter clutch shudder about a month after buying it, but for some strange reason it rarely happens now. Repairs are expensive on Cadillacs, but my friend owns an auto shop, so I only pay $50/hr labor rates. I guess having a good friend of 20+ yrs helps. Lol
I've taken to lurking several of the different platform sections of late, and for a variety of reasons. One is simple idle curiosity with what my favorite GM brand to hate has been up to - outside of what you see in the commercials anyway.

The main reason is why I started the thread - to check how many holdouts remain driving a legitimate full-sized sedans, and also to slowly gather intel for which 'future moderately depreciated model' in 4-8 years strikes me as the most viable when I inevitably replace my current driver. I've always favored "more wheelbase" for reasons obvious to us, but regrettably for me the Escalades I've rented the past year for work never grew beyond just the big lumbering fat trucks they started out as. All the current AT- XT- and CT- models run from straight compact to 'mid-size', except the new CT5 which has literally the same WB as a last gen B-body. And then what would seem the obvious choice of a CT6 at ~1" longer WB than a Fleetwood. Except the CT6 officially is no more.

It's a quandary wrapped in a mystery. I enjoy the recreational therapy of working on my cars myself, and the money saved is nothing to spit at. But the part I get the most satisfaction from is being 'forced' to actually drive the car without senses-dulling sensors.

Well, rants off. Today.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts