Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac STS
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so another door handle question...I can't figure this one out I have read all the posts I can find on these...I have an 06

----------

Stupid phone...anyways door handles work when it's cold/ or raining but not when it's dry out, any thoughts on this one?

·
Registered
08 STS4 V8 1SG & 04 SRX4 V8 & 01 Monte SS
4,988 Posts
The typical solution is replace the defective handle(s). The antenna is integrated into the handle and is a common fail point. They are paint to match the car too.

·
Registered
2005 STS4 1SG
408 Posts
Look at the sticky for common problems.

After spending a long time reading it, I'll try to clarify one point for you. There are two common problems that are slightly different. The defective part might be the antenna, and it might be the switch.

Study your car's behavior closely. When you pull the handle, does the car do absolutely nothing, or does it flash red to show you it's denying entry? The former indicates switch, the latter indicates antenna.

Said differently, the bad antenna behavior is the same as if your fob isn't with you. It knows you're trying to get in and denies the request. The bad switch behavior is the same as if you never pulled the handle at all.

Either way, the permanent fix requires replacing parts. If it's the switch, you can try spraying contact cleaner or WD-40 blindly into the handle. That worked for me, but I don't have confidence that it's going to be permanent. It's only been a week.

The sticky thread above on page 6 links to a nice how-to from Neutrocuted with photos.

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac STS
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
By the behavior of the car I thought it was the switches what I don't understand is why they work when it's cold or raining but not when it's dry and warmer...seems like it should be the reverse which is why I am perplexed

·
Registered
08 STS4 V8 1SG & 04 SRX4 V8 & 01 Monte SS
4,988 Posts
the cold plastic may shrink allowing the metal contacts to be able to make proper contact again. The wetness likely does the same.

·
Registered
2005 STS N*
125 Posts
Look at the sticky for common problems.

After spending a long time reading it, I'll try to clarify one point for you. There are two common problems that are slightly different. The defective part might be the antenna, and it might be the switch.

Study your car's behavior closely. When you pull the handle, does the car do absolutely nothing, or does it flash red to show you it's denying entry? The former indicates switch, the latter indicates antenna.

Said differently, the bad antenna behavior is the same as if your fob isn't with you. It knows you're trying to get in and denies the request. The bad switch behavior is the same as if you never pulled the handle at all.

Either way, the permanent fix requires replacing parts. If it's the switch, you can try spraying contact cleaner or WD-40 blindly into the handle. That worked for me, but I don't have confidence that it's going to be permanent. It's only been a week.

The sticky thread above on page 6 links to a nice how-to from Neutrocuted with photos.
So if I pull the handle, then it flashes red, but it also unlocks the other doors... Is that a bad antenna? Sounds like a combination between your two scenarios.

·
Registered
2005 STS4 1SG
408 Posts
So if I pull the handle, then it flashes red, but it also unlocks the other doors... Is that a bad antenna? Sounds like a combination between your two scenarios.
OK, first of all, take a little grain of salt because I'm not an expert on this. I'm just about a week ahead of you on troubleshooting, and had a slightly different problem.

I think you have a third problem. I didn't write about the actuator that opens the door. I think your handle and antenna are good. Your handle's switch detects the pull, the antenna approves because fob is nearby, and the system asks the door to open (and to unlock the other doors, depending on your personalization settings). But the little motor that moves the latch parts to open the door isn't working. Search and read about door actuators to confirm my theory.

·
Registered
2005 STS N*
125 Posts
OK, first of all, take a little grain of salt because I'm not an expert on this. I'm just about a week ahead of you on troubleshooting, and had a slightly different problem.

I think you have a third problem. I didn't write about the actuator that opens the door. I think your handle and antenna are good. Your handle's switch detects the pull, the antenna approves because fob is nearby, and the system asks the door to open (and to unlock the other doors, depending on your personalization settings). But the little motor that moves the latch parts to open the door isn't working. Search and read about door actuators to confirm my theory.
That would make sense thank you. I've always been able to hear something rattling around in the door but I'm not sure what it is

1 - 8 of 8 Posts