Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
'16 ATS-V MT6 Sedan, Alfas: '67 Duetto, '84 GTV6 3.5L 24v/Vette C5 project
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks!

So my 'religious conversion' has been in the works for some time...

I've been an Alfa Romeo (Italian) owner for 25 years+ owning various models (13 Alfas in all), and have had a '86 Mercedes 190E 2.3-16V, and a '94 BMW E36 325i thrown in the mix along the way. Yes, a very Euro focused sports car driver for quite some time.

Only problem is I haven't found any new Euro (meaning - German) new cars that have lit my fire... Italy has the new Maser Ghiblis which are too big and expensive. Alfa Romeo, well they are slowly re-introducing themselves back in to the US market (after leaving all us 'Alfisti' stranded back in 1995), but that is still an unknown as far as product and reliability (don't get me started on dealer network!!) ... I'm STILL driving Alfa's last model, a 1995 164LS executive (sports?) sedan (think Bimmer 5 series/MB 300E type car) that has been highly modified as far as suspension, brakes, and powertrain. So...

After a lot of research, and lurking on this forum... I have found a Caddy that satisfies my long list of pre-requisites for a modern sports sedan! Friday, May 8th, I pick up a 2013 Premium ATS with Turbo4, manual 6 speed ( a definite pre-requisite as I am old school) with FE3 suspension, and much of the manufacturer warranties intact.

I am located up in Seattle/Bellevue area ... the car is located down in Dallas - do you know how hard it is to find a manual 6sp ATS???! Fortunately for me, I'm able to mix business with pleasure... I'll fly down on my company's nickel to take care of some business in Dallas, and then pick the car up at the end of the week... and then take a week to drive it back to the Pacific Northwest. Taking a lot of state highways through the mountain ranges and such, to maximize the driver experiences. Looking forward to a cool road trip! Will try to post some pics and such along the way.

Mostly, looking forward to ownership of a modern car, with a warranty intact, and with a dealership network that is strong and pervasive across the US. My local Caddy dealership is but 10-12 minutes from my house! don't ask about the non-support I've dealt with my Alfas...sort of wore that as a 'Red Badge of Courage' but I'm getting too old for that crap...at least for a Daily Driver.

Don't get me wrong... I still own some Alfas... a sweet 1967 Duetto round tail convertible (think 'The Graduate') and a 1984 GTV6 fastback. I'm on the fence as to whether I sell off the '95 164LS sedan or keep it for limited driving duties. So much time, passion, and $$$ poured in to that car that it will be hard to get a fair asking price for her.

But I am looking forward to the Caddy, and ushering in a 'modern' driving experience with one of the best sports sedan on the market today!

Never, never... in a million years did I think I'd own a domestic car... let alone a Caddy!

My how times have changed!!

Renaldo...may have to go back to simply being 'Ron'

----------

My how time flies....! Just looked back (through post history) and saw that my first post here on this board was back in August of 2013! I had a lot of concerns back then... some answered, a few still open. I have no concerns about driving dynamics or reliability of the car (have read about some of the Turbo4 issues)... I guess one of my biggest unknowns right now is how I'll live with/adjust to CUE. If all the driving dynamics or power train responsiveness is on par/better than reported, then CUE is the least of my worries.

Looking forward to making this Caddy a major part of my automotive experience!

·
Registered
2014 ATS 2.0 MT
68 Posts
Congratulations! I picked up my new 2014 2.0T, manual gearbox (also required!) this past February. It's been great so far after 2k miles.

You could have picked up a 550 Maranello for a daily driver driver while the prices are 'low'? ; )

Best of luck with the ATS!

Anthony

·
Registered
ATS
239 Posts
Re: Long Time Lurker, Soon to be ATS Turbo4 6sp Manual Owner!

Way to go! We don't have a manual, but still love our 2014 2.0T Luxury after more than a year. And absolutely no problems using CUE. Maybe we don't ask too much of it - works fine.

·
Registered
2014 ATS 2.0T
115 Posts

Dang you guys are making me jealous. 6 speed manual, yes! Wish I would have held out.... next time.

·
Registered
Charger Scat Pack- Auto/Corvette LS3-Auto
2,433 Posts

Congrats... drive like you stole it.... 6 speeds are fun but they get old in traffic so I have an auto. But, my backup car is a 6sp Dodge Hemi Challenger.

·
Registered
2014 ATS 2.0T MT
50 Posts

Awesome story! What color options are you getting? I live down here in Dallas, got my silver with red interior 6 speed manual at Crest in Plano. Not a single issue with mine other than a preworn front bushing that was replaced.

·
Registered
18 Coupe, turbo, auto, dp,E 85,tune
825 Posts
Love my '13 manual turbo with 11.5K miles. Taking a run up to the northeast next month. Vermont, then over to Cape Cod. Back the coastal route off the interstates. Never a problem with anything and I have modded the
car. So worth it to get closer to it's potential. :)

·
Registered
2014 CTS VSport Premium
175 Posts
It's refreshing to see post on other owners actually enjoying the vehicle.

I get tired of the kind of post "this car is a piece of shit" or "GM garbage" etc.. That's all you see. No one speaks on how great the car is.

I LOVE my ATS and I've expressed many times that at 33,000 miles I've had zero issues.

Cool post.

·
Registered
2014 Red Obsession ATS Premium 3.6L
601 Posts
hmm, I disagree. I see the majority of posts praising our ats. We all know how great the car is. We all talk about it all the time. For those who have severe problem with their cars, of course, the negatives r gonna trump the positives. Regardless of how great the car is, piston failure, moldy ac, rattles, noises... cannot make the owner happy. After all we spent premium price, we expect nothing less than premium quality.
Cuest said:
It's refreshing to see post on other owners actually enjoying the vehicle. I get tired of the kind of post "this car is a piece of shit" or "GM garbage" etc.. That's all you see. No one speaks on how great the car is. I LOVE my ATS and I've expressed many times that at 33,000 miles I've had zero issues. Cool post.

·
Registered
2013 3.6 RWD Premium - 2006 BMW Z4M
1,404 Posts
23k miles on mine, also zero problems and very happy with the purchase.

Forums are the worst for trying to figure out how likely something is to happen.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Especially when you have a crappy built car. I know a couple of forums where the members get along and can talk about and enjoy their cars together. I am pretty sure most of us wanted to enjoy our cars, heck that is why we bought them in the first place. It is more about discovering how crappy your car is after the fact and how shoddy GM deals with it.

·
Registered
'14 ATS Premium with 3 pedals | Past: '13 ATS Performance & '99 Seville STS
5,847 Posts
Hello and welcome! You have a very good taste in cars! Post some pictures, especially from Alfas! I also like those 190Es too. Please post some pics from that MB too! And the BMW, and the rest! We love cars and love seeing pictures! :)There is something very handsome and classy about the 190E design that the newer E series totally lack.
And ATS is a very solid, sports car! You will love it! As for service department, I am hopping that your local Cadillac dealer is better than mine.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone for the kind responses! The car is the White Diamond Tri-coat with the black leather/aluminum accented interior. I would have preferred a Red or Platinum colored interior... but I'm sure modern Air Conditioning will be up to the task of keeping black interior temperatures in check. For as long as I have searched to find this particular optioned example... I was ready to take any color combo... I can definitely live with this color combo... I've seen the White exterior on a couple of local cars and it looks very nice.

Being an Italian car owner for so long... maintenance issues (cost & parts availability) and/or 'quirky behavior' - I have a high tolerance for all this BS. I hope my local Caddy dealer will be squared away with the technical support, but I'm not worried about it at this moment. Just looking forward to a new-ish car with a warranty... which is totally an alien concept to me at this time. What I'm really looking forward to though, is driving the be-jeezzus out of this spunky car!!! Not only on nice twisties on the public roads here in the great Pacific Northwest, but also on track days with my local Alfa Club. My club is pretty lenient on letting other brand cars participate on lapping days and driver skills schools, as the number of track eligible Alfas has considerably dropped over the years. I find it a tad ironic that the ATS is built on the 'Alpha' platform... another good sign and justification for my purchase!

·
Registered
2017 ATS-V Sedan, Vector Blue/Black, 6MT
994 Posts
Renaldo, I also had an Alfa, a 1991 164S. Great car. I also have a 2013 ATS manual Premium, with just over 16,000 miles. It's been a great car, with just a few minor issues. You should enjoy it a lot. Since it's used, make sure it's had all the latest updates/campaigns/recalls done. I had my car in for an oil change and to have the plugs changed and a seat belt recall performed last week. While there, I asked about any CUE updates, and indeed there was a new one available, and they applied that too.

With all that, and my new tires, it's almost like I have a new, even better car. After the plugs, the car seems to pull harder, with less turbo lag. My new Michelin Pilot Super Sports are unbelievable, with even better handling and grip, and much better ride (also much cheaper and longer lasting, even with the addition of a tire compressor kit). Even CUE seems faster, now on par with the '15s, though without some of the new features. My car feels positively racy now. I hope you enjoy yours, too.

·
Registered
'16 ATS-V Coupe "Arrest Me Red"
22 Posts
I have a similar story- I was in the thrall of ze germans for years, but when I was in the market early last year, I just couldn't get excited about any of them. Caddy popped up in my research, and to my surprise, it was the most fun and exciting car I test drove. I bought the V6 Premium from Cadillac/Chevy of Bellevue (good folks, so far), and have been thrilled with it. I spent an hour in a parking lot configuring Cue presets, but haven't messed with it much since- I use the controls on the steering wheel, mostly. One caveat, though- between RWD, OEM tires, and the car's power, the back end can slide out easily in PNW rain. I decided to enroll in a high performance driving school, and now visit the track at Pacific Raceways for my monthly adrenaline kick. The majority of folks are driving Porsche's & BMW's, but a lot of folks chat with me because I have something unique and surprisingly capable. Hope you enjoy your time with it...

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
OK, so I just went past 14K on the car, and I'm down to 20% on oil life... having my first service done next week. So far the owner/driver experience has been fantastic! Car hasn't missed a beat, and I just love the way it handles... so eager to take input and turn on a dime! And it holds a line, plants and exits under power with confidence. With the exception of my transaxle GTV6, this Caddy has about the most confidence inspired handling I've experienced. That's saying alot!

The only small 'hits' I'll mention are that the new electronic steering can feel a bit artificial at times (though I haven't compared to other current competitors - they say the Caddy is better than the Beemer in this regard.) and the power band of the turbo four dies out way too quickly from what I'm used to. With my 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder Alfas... I always found a steady progression/rush of hp&torque up to 6.5K+. This engine, with the smaller turbo, is done by 5- 5.5K. I guess its all mandated by EPA emissions and mileage targets, but it has surprised, and frankly, disappointed me a bit. I love the way I can take my Italian engines up in the upper rev ranges, and theres a steady progression of 'oomph' along the way! Also, they sound glorious up there by the way! I will say I do like the aggressive growl of the Turbo4 with the OEM exhaust. Others report that after market exhaust systems really open the engine up. I have other priorities now, but perhaps down the road I'll try this modification. The engine definately has potential, as noted by all the posts on tunes and other mods. That's one reason I had no hesitation going with the Turbo4!

Also, love the way it looks. I catch myself looking back at the car after I walk away from parking it. Also, I take different angled approaches to get various views of the car. Love the current Art&Science design language!! You know, Alfa Romeo just introduced the '4 Leaf Clover' (Quadrifoglia Verde) HP model of their new 2016 Giulia sports sedan. Visually the Alfa looks fantastic from the front view, but the rest of the car leaves me luke warm. I think the ATS is a much more cohesive design, front to back!

Here's pics of the ATS, and a few 'other' cars.... 20150510_140305[1].jpg Sharkey2.JPG DSC02622.JPG CIMG0707.JPG

The first pic is me visiting with my son and his wife in Temple, TX (he just shipped off to S Korea for a 9 month deployment... better than going to Afghanistan!), '73 Alfa GTV 2L race car that previously ran in SCCA, 84' GVT6 fastback at the boat launch at Alki (West Seattle), across Elliot bay from downtown Seattle, '95 24v 3L 164LS sports sedan - the 'Black Bomber.'

You know... haven't come up with a name yet for the ATS... will have to see what kind of personality presents itself....

·
Registered
Prev: 2004+2007 CTS 3.6 - 2016 ATS 2.0T AWD Lux. Now: 2018 ATS 2.0T AWD Luxury
2,250 Posts
Renaldo, Thanks for the ATS photo.
FYI, the White Diamond color was discontinued for 2015,
replaced by a whiter Crystal White, so you won't see too
many ATS in your color.

I prefer the black interior and it doesn't seem hotter than other
colors. The black also makes it harder to see into your car and
you don't show dirt or dye rubbing off clothes, like the light
colors would.