Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, quick question. I purchased a 2015 Escalade Used end of May....It has been in the dealership 6 times for transmission issues that are still not fixed and now what I think is a lifter?? Transmission is my biggest concern. I have an extended warranty that I hope will cover the rest of the issues as we move forward but already a few thousand into repairs. I am now reading about the class action lawsuit with these transmission and am pretty positive this is me!

I have shuddering at speeds below 45mph, hard clunking and delayed shift when going from park to reverse, especially when its cold I push the gas and it just cant seem to find the gears. When i stop its almost like i hit the brakes and then the car decides to shift into a stop shortly after i hit the brake... I have to make sure I stop well behind someone. Of course I have no warranty from current dealership and closest Cadillac dealership is one hour away. It is getting dropped off there tomorrow.

Just curious if anyone had anymore advice. I am really disappointed in Cadillac but trying to stay optimistic a fix will come! Thanks for listening!

·
Registered
2002 Cadillac Seville STS
192 Posts
Hey all, quick question. I purchased a 2015 Escalade Used end of May....It has been in the dealership 6 times for transmission issues that are still not fixed and now what I think is a lifter?? Transmission is my biggest concern. I have an extended warranty that I hope will cover the rest of the issues as we move forward but already a few thousand into repairs. I am now reading about the class action lawsuit with these transmission and am pretty positive this is me!

I have shuddering at speeds below 45mph, hard clunking and delayed shift when going from park to reverse, especially when its cold I push the gas and it just cant seem to find the gears. When i stop its almost like i hit the brakes and then the car decides to shift into a stop shortly after i hit the brake... I have to make sure I stop well behind someone. Of course I have no warranty from current dealership and closest Cadillac dealership is one hour away. It is getting dropped off there tomorrow.

Just curious if anyone had anymore advice. I am really disappointed in Cadillac but trying to stay optimistic a fix will come! Thanks for listening!
I too will be buying a 2015 to 2017 Escalade in the near future. I have read MANY articles about transmission shudder and it seems that a transmission multi flush and then fluid refil is the fix for it.

Search for Escalade 2015 transmission shudder and you will see a bunch of articles on it that GM put the wrong fluid into the trucks I believe and the end fix for the problems was a thorough cleaning of trans through flushing and then putting a different viscosity Trans fluid into the truck.

A lifter going bad is possible on a truck, depends on mileage. Also could be something stuck IN the lifter due to poor previous oil changes or them not using the correct oil. I would check into an engine oil flush and new oil first. Check with repair shop if you can put an engine oil cleaner and run motor for 5 minutes and then change oil. Not sure if you can do that on these models or not.

But teh trans shudder is quite common on the 2015

·
Registered
2016 Escalade ESV, 2017 GMC Sierra 6.2
2,030 Posts
The shudder and delayed shift from P to D or P to R are very fixable. The Cadillac dealer will know about the 2 service bulletins related to those issues.
The clunky, harsh shifts is mostly/somewhat fixable. For a 2015 there are a couple fixes it may need. There is a software update to the transmission computer. There is a decent chance that’ll make it way better. But if not, then valve body replacement is a common repair for that issue. But you’ll have to understand that this 8 speed transmission will never be 100% perfect. You will still have occasional shift clunkiness. I feel like I’ve learned to adjust my driving behavior to minimize the clunkiness.
The engine lifter failure is another moderately common thing. Not everyone experiences that but it’s not unheard of. It’s an expensive repair.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I too will be buying a 2015 to 2017 Escalade in the near future. I have read MANY articles about transmission shudder and it seems that a transmission multi flush and then fluid refil is the fix for it.

Search for Escalade 2015 transmission shudder and you will see a bunch of articles on it that GM put the wrong fluid into the trucks I believe and the end fix for the problems was a thorough cleaning of trans through flushing and then putting a different viscosity Trans fluid into the truck.

A lifter going bad is possible on a truck, depends on mileage. Also could be something stuck IN the lifter due to poor previous oil changes or them not using the correct oil. I would check into an engine oil flush and new oil first. Check with repair shop if you can put an engine oil cleaner and run motor for 5 minutes and then change oil. Not sure if you can do that on these models or not.

But teh trans shudder is quite common on the 2015
Thank you! Dealership is saying an entire transmission replacement....no extended warranty is refusing to cover it also :(

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The shudder and delayed shift from P to D or P to R are very fixable. The Cadillac dealer will know about the 2 service bulletins related to those issues.
The clunky, harsh shifts is mostly/somewhat fixable. For a 2015 there are a couple fixes it may need. There is a software update to the transmission computer. There is a decent chance that’ll make it way better. But if not, then valve body replacement is a common repair for that issue. But you’ll have to understand that this 8 speed transmission will never be 100% perfect. You will still have occasional shift clunkiness. I feel like I’ve learned to adjust my driving behavior to minimize the clunkiness.
The engine lifter failure is another moderately common thing. Not everyone experiences that but it’s not unheard of. It’s an expensive repair.
Thank you! The engine lifter is being covered under extended warranty, however they are saying a full transmission replacement and refusing to cover that. I am pushing for GM to cover as it only has 81k miles and I just bought it 5 months ago.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I am working thru all this but so far its not looking like its in my favor. I realized I have been a loyal GM customer for 22 years, bought over 8 vehicles, some new and some used. I just purchased a used 2015 Escalade in May...I am now replacing a lifter and a transmission. Lifter is covered under the additional extended $5000 warranty but the transmission is being denied due to a pre-xisting condition. A month prior I had it in for a slowly shifting issue and replaced a transmission sensor out of pocket ($1400)...and now another what I thought was unrelated issue...apparently not!

I have read all the lawsuits and joined what I can but this is insane! GM knows the transmission is an issue. You would think with such a quickly dropping customer retention rate they would do the right thing...

Highly disappointed. Anyone else??

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Where did you buy this vehicle from and why aren’t they standing behind the used car they sold you?
GM has several service bulletins out to fix just about every issue with the 8 speed. With yours being a 2015 (the first year), it has all the issues. I drive 2 vehicles with this 8 speed but mine are 2016 and 2017 so half of that initial 2015 model stuff was not an issue for me.
Both have had shift clunkiness. The ‘16 got a software update that mostly fixed it. The ‘17 got a software update that did not fix it but also got a valve body replacement that mostly fixed the clunkiness. The ‘17 also had the shudder which was fixed with the transmission fluid flush with the updated fluid.
Yours being a 2015 needs the delayed engagement into drive/reverse fix, software, valve body, and fluid flush. I would think that would be cheaper then a transmission replacement, but it would also be really nice to have a fresh new transmission. And presumably that transmission would have a few unknown internal updates that they’ve discovered throughout the past 5 years.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Where did you buy this vehicle from and why aren’t they standing behind the used car they sold you?
GM has several service bulletins out to fix just about every issue with the 8 speed. With yours being a 2015 (the first year), it has all the issues. I drive 2 vehicles with this 8 speed but mine are 2016 and 2017 so half of that initial 2015 model stuff was not an issue for me.
Both have had shift clunkiness. The ‘16 got a software update that mostly fixed it. The ‘17 got a software update that did not fix it but also got a valve body replacement that mostly fixed the clunkiness. The ‘17 also had the shudder which was fixed with the transmission fluid flush with the updated fluid.
Yours being a 2015 needs the delayed engagement into drive/reverse fix, software, valve body, and fluid flush. I would think that would be cheaper then a transmission replacement, but it would also be really nice to have a fresh new transmission. And presumably that transmission would have a few unknown internal updates that they’ve discovered throughout the past 5 years.
I purchased the vehicle used from a Ford Dealership. They had a 90 day warranty on it...this has all happened out of their warranty. My extended warranty should cover however in between warrantys I had a transmission sensor replaced so they are saying it is a pre-existing condition.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
A transmission sensor issue does not make your other transmission issues pre-existing. But they probably are pre-existing issues that the Ford dealer was unaware of or unaware of how to fix them.
Also aftermarket warranty companies can be pretty crappy in how they handle things sometimes.
Maybe you can get the aftermarket warranty to cover 1 or 2 or 3 of the transmission repairs I described in my other post and you can handle the not covered repairs. I have a feeling you don’t really NEED a transmission replacement but in reality that is the easiest way for the Cadillac to fix all the issues in one shot.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I agree that the sensor does not define a pre-existing condition. However I am not sure where to even begin to get them to start with something else. Maybe talk to the current dealer and ask them about these issues??? See if we can go one thing at a time?? Thank you!! I appreciate all the feedback :)

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Absolutely ask your dealer to work with you and the aftermarket warranty company to see what repairs would be covered under the aftermarket warranty or possibly a powertrain warranty if your vehicle has one.
At 81k miles, Cadillac really owes you nothing warranty wise especially since you bought it used from a non gm dealer. Unless your vehicle is covered under some powertrain warranty.
Where are you located? Maybe someone here can point you towards a dealer that tends to go the extra mile to help out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am located in Williston North Dakota. The current dealership is about an hour away already. But if anyone has any suggestions I am completely open.

·
Registered
19 ESV Premium &18 XT5 Premium
155 Posts
I've had issues with a previous vehicle that needed the right dealer like Cutlass said. Mine was a low-mileage factory warranty issue (a very expensive one). Unfortunately it sounds like you don't have a lot of options to shop dealers. It does payoff to find one and stay loyal.

It's also unfortunate that you have a '15 GM product as all these things are well known problems with Tahoes, Suburbans, Yukons and Escalades. I was also a victim with an early '15 Yukon Denali XL.

Some people have found relief with simple road-force tire balancing all the way to removing the headliner and adding structural stability to the entire roof line to help with highway shudder/vibration. All in addition to the well documented transmission issues. The early '15s are shitty trucks in general. I will never buy another 1st run GM model of anything. I'm sorry. I know none of this helps you now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My first time here, my daughter has a 15 Escalade made in October right when the 8 speed automatics
came out. She only has about 39k on it, and so far been a good car. She has had the car in 3 times total
for software recalls, and for transmission. They replaced the torque converter which fixed her
transmission jerking, and second time changed the transmission fluid. Transmission rarely acts up
now, and when it does it is barely noticeable.

I would go to the Cadillac dealer, and have them look the car up in the computer system, and tell you
what type of work has been performed on the car before. I would not replace the transmission, maybe
have someone rebuild, or change valve body, or servos, but not replace.

After market warranties are not always the best, except for the commission the dealer received for
selling you the warranty.

The unknown on your car and transmission is that you do not know how well, or bad the previous
owner treated the car. I have seen transmissions last from 80k up 200k depending on how the car
is treated.

I did not know 15 Suburbans had issues, my wife has a early early 15 Suburban, in fact the third
new one the dealer received. It has been trouble free, only 2 recalls, no service work ever, but
then again it only has 32k miles. Being early production means it has the 6 speed transmission.
We are waiting to trade in on the new ones.

·
Registered
74 Posts
2015s need a transmission replacement period they have been troubled from the beginning. Even the late 2015s with the new Cadillac emblems has transmission problems. Best bet is get a new transmission or a used one and trade up a year to late 16s or 17s. Or the trips to the dealership we continue on. Also make sure to do everything the manual says far as maintenance.

·
Registered
2015 Escalade
69 Posts
2015s need a transmission replacement period they have been troubled from the beginning. Even the late 2015s with the new Cadillac emblems has transmission problems. Best bet is get a new transmission or a used one and trade up a year to late 16s or 17s. Or the trips to the dealership we continue on. Also make sure to do everything the manual says far as maintenance.
The early 15's 6 speed transmissions are bullet proof. Thank god I have that one instead of the 8 speed.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
2015s need a transmission replacement period they have been troubled from the beginning. Even the late 2015s with the new Cadillac emblems has transmission problems.
Not at all true. They rarely need replacement. We are 4-5 years after the 2015 8 speeds came out and the issues have mostly been addressed. The real issue is how long and drawn out the process was. The original owners of early 8 speeds were in and out of dealers during the time period when these things were new and the repairs weren’t known or available.

·
Registered
2016 Escalade Luxury, 2000 Corvette
532 Posts
To the guy looking for a 15-17, if you are willing to pay the extra money for the 17 get an 18. I went from a 16 to a 19 , and it's well worth getting a 10 speed

·
Registered
2 Posts
We are having the same issue. We purchased a 2015 platinum esv in november and have been having transmission issues since the date of purchase. I test drove it and questioned the hard transmission shift and was told it was automatic shut off....flat out lie but I was naive and did not know the car did not have automatic stop start function. It has since been at the dealership 3 times for the transmission, the very last time being in 09/2019 when they did an update to the system. It was good since but as of 12/2019 the issue has begun again. I plan on taking it back, but, I am dreading the fight with the dealership. We are still under warranty as the vehicle only has 55k miles.
As of 12/2019 we also became aware of a 4wd issue when we were driving through the snow, it makes a lot of noise and actually sounds like there is grinding in the front end of the vehicle, it would also shift very hard (more tranny problems)....so I have to bring this up too. I understand your frustration 100%!

·
Registered
4 Posts

I had the same issue and it was the torque converter, no problems after that. Cost me about 2k parts and labor

1 - 20 of 24 Posts