Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2011 CTS Coupe AWD Performance
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning a long road trip in my 2011 AWD Coupe and I will be driving from Iowa to New Jersey. It will be at least 2200 miles round trip. When I bought the car I knew it came with the sealant kit but thinking about a possibility where I have a puncture that the kit cannot fix when all the tire shops are closed at night concerns me. Has anyone had bad experiences?

For those that have taken long trips, what measures have you guys taken? Consider getting a spare just for this trip?

·
Registered
2012 Cadillac CTS4 Coupe V6 DI Performance Collection
182 Posts
I used to have same concerns. Then I asked myself when was the last time that I had a tire go bad? Can't remember. I do pick up nails , screws etc. but they have given me real slow leaks. Time enough to get to a shop the next day. I do 3,000 mile trips frequently, keep my cell phone, Caddy assist or AAA numbers handy.
Happy motoring!

·
Registered
2012 cadillac cts coupe and a 2004 retro bird
533 Posts
I am sure that the sealant kit works, if it did not why would Cadillac have it put in the car. Or you can get some run flat tires.

·
Registered
Gone; ‘09 V, ‘13 V coupe. Curr; ‘14 PG Vsport prem w/Kona interior
6,177 Posts
Last year my wife and I participated in the 20th anniversary Hot Rod Power Tour. Drove from Virginia Beach, VA to Wisconsin Dells, WI and back (3,200 miles) with no troubles.

If you are concerned enough to invest in a spare wheel/tire then your next concern should be "where do I put my stuff?" Because your very limited coupe trunk is now full. ;)

Seriously, I don't worry about it. Like has already been said, under normal situations the inflator kit will suffice until you can get to the nearest tire dealer. Worst case blow out scenario, you pull out the AAA card or call Cadillac Roadside Assistance.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,161 Posts
Does the sealant have a shelf life?

·
Registered
SOLD - 2010 CTS4 Premium Wagon-Diamond White-Cashmere Interior
2,930 Posts
I once drove over a year with a 'fix-a-flat' repair just to see how long it would last. I had a spare and AAA, so I wasn't worried. Just wanted to see how long it would last. When I got a new company car it was still going strong. Most likely over 13K miles in all weather conditions in MI.

There shouldn't be a worry unless you have a cut or shredded sidewall.

Marv

·
Registered
2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe
3,351 Posts
I posed this question to a local tire shop when I was getting new wheels on my previous 2012 AWD coupe. He told me that the sealant will do it's job for a nail. When I asked, "yeah, but what about a blowout?" His response was, "you're have Michelins... They are the best tie on the market and they rarely suffer catastrophic failure".

Now he was going on the presumption that the tires are in good shape.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,161 Posts
Yes they do and the expiration date is labeled on the sealant bottle.
Thanks for that. Now I will have to look...this weekend.

·
Registered
2011 Cadillac CTS Coupe (Thunder Grey)
28 Posts
In the middle of a long road trip right now. From Houston to Myrtle Beach to Washington D.C., now in New York where my baby is all snuggled up in a secured garage until tomorrow.

·
Registered
CTS Coupe Performance Stick
1,013 Posts
Follow, among others, the advice of 2laidback above and enjoy your trip. You might want to avoid off road racer courses! :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts