Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2001 DTS(140K), 2000 ETC(284K), 1990 allante( 80K)
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well on Sunday at a undisclosed hi-way it for some strange reason i decided to run my car hard just to see how long it would take to get from point A-B.
well i set cruise at 90mph( for all you American folk lol...) it was on the road for 40 mins. the engine was just under 3 grand of RPM and i was pulling 21MPG ( I believe)
it ran SO smooth and was totally awesome. anyway a normal hour and 30 min drive took me under an hour!!!. i usually drive the same road at about 70-75 mph (115-124 km/h).. now remember there was little to no traffic
anyway. after i pulled off the car was just running so nice. it was like it went though a tune up.
on my way to work today i noticed some unusual numbers. such as 30mpg at 58-60mph where i was previously getting on 23-25 mpg
and at 75 i was pulling 27 mpg when i usually run about 22 on the same road
and it also seems to call me crazy. have a bit more spring in its step. as well.
needless to day that drive was very fun...
so why am i getting a bit better number from just a simple drive.
is it because i had so much constant load on the motor at 3K for a long period of time?:cookoo:

·
Registered
97 ETC x2, 04 GXP, 04 STS x2, 97 ESC, 99 Deville, 05 SRX
2,602 Posts
That's the way Caddys were meant to be driven!!!

....90 MPH runs in Ontario can get your car impounded so I tend to stay away from that, but my right foot gets itchy sometimes too! :shhh:

·
Registered
Previous STS' 1995/97/99/01/03
1,194 Posts
I was thinking the same thing.
A while back, I drove down to Toronto with a few 160klm/hr blasts.
I had a black DTS running rabbit for me.

Since then, the "street racing" law has prevented me from running any more than 20 above the limit.
They take your car away from you, and the fine is in the thousands.
Just not worth it.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its 50 over.
if you are caught at 150 on the hi-way they take your license and car for 7 days.

I was thinking the same thing.
A while back, I drove down to Toronto with a few 160klm/hr blasts.
I had a black DTS running rabbit for me.

Since then, the "street racing" law has prevented me from running any more than 20 above the limit.
They take your car away from you, and the fine is in the thousands.
Just not worth it.

·
Registered
1993 Cadillac Sedan DeVille 69,998 miles and ticking.
85 Posts
Too bad you don't live in Nevada, Interstate 50 is so barren and almost unused, you practically can get away with speeding for 50 to 60 miles at a time.

·
Registered
Previous STS' 1995/97/99/01/03
1,194 Posts
its 50 over.
if you are caught at 150 on the hi-way they take your license and car for 7 days.
Exactly ... I was driving 60klm over the limit, and subject to street racing fines.
You were driving at 90mph, or 145klm/hr in a 100 zone, so yeah, you were just under the street racing limit. Still, that ticket would've cost over $300 plus 4 demerit points ... those points jacking up your insurance rates.

Driving the STS fast is fun, I agree. Under the right circumstances, I believe it to be fairly safe, as well. Personally,I haven't gone over 140klm/hr since the street racing laws came into effect.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hey Ted....
i have a condo in Orillia. perhaps you have seen me. i am in Invamera bay at the narrows between lake Simcoe and cooch.
i have a silver DTS and white eldo and silver CTS-V

my last speeding ticket was 33 over for 295 dollars.
With my insurance i have two free" incidents" per 3 years... or maybe its 3, this will not make my insurance go up at all for the first 2 or 3 which ever it is.

·
Registered
1998 Seville STS / 2013 Chevrolet Impala
1,889 Posts
You guys are lucky you don't live in Chicago. :crybaby:

Street racing= three month license suspension, vehicle impounded for 7 days.

Music that can be heard over 72 feet away= vehicle impounded till a $200-$2000 dollar fine is paid. license may be suspended.

25mph over? (i.e 80 in a 55)= Go directly to jail, do not pass go.

·
Registered
94 Deville 4.9 (Sold), 09 Infiniti FX35 (Daily Driver)
65 Posts
Demerit points have nothing to do with insurance in Ontario, the insurers only count the number of tickets within the preceeding 3 years, and the type of conviction (i.e. over 50 kms over the limit = major conviction and you can only get coverage from a "high risk" market). Most insurance companies are okay with 2 minor convictions, but once you hit 3 in the last 3 years, it's off to "high risk" you go.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
66,971 Posts
eyecandy, Back to the original post, if you could drive your car at 70 - 110 mph steadily for most of its life it would run better and give less engine mechanical problems than a city stop-go environment, which is death on engines and exhaust systems.

Your experience is shared by those who do a LOT of open highway driving. If your vehicle has a GM oil life monitor, have you ever noticed that the estimated oil life decreases faster in urban driving than at highway speed ??

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks sub...
actually my oil life switched to 67% as i started in town and at the end of the drive i was at 66%
however i usually only drive about 20 mins in town per day and 10 mins of it is sitting at idle in N or P.
LOL

this also explains my original 1994 Eldorado.
which lasted until 245 K miles before it went.
it drove about 200 Km's a day on the hiway for hour and 30 mins one way. and traffic was nothing... come off the off ramp take a left and i'm at work. and there was very little that ever went wrong with that car

·
Registered
Cadillac
104 Posts
What you did was called "an italian tune up" . You blew all the carbon off. Alll car engines are the most fuel efficient (in terms of extracting power from fuel) at WIDE OPEN THROTTLE. Great thing to do for your car.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts