1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
'94 Seville STS N*
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
oh my god

why me

after having the coil packs replaced, the car, a few hours later, is now rumbling (as in, the entire car is shaking) at idle & you can smell gas, or something not sweet smelling (no coolant don't worry. :-D temps are holding steady.) darn strongly coming out of the exhaust (which is making a pretty bad sputtering noise). a weird winding noise coming from underneath the driver's door when the car is in drive. stops when the car is in park.

no codes. lol.

what has gone wrong with my car...again?

edit: also, sorry for posting so many threads. but good lord.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,997 Posts
Add the year and model to your profile so we know what we are talking about.

Smelling fuel would indicate a fuel leak. If bad enough, fuel pressure would drop and that might cause a rough idle I would think. How does it drive? Does it drive?

·
Registered
'94 Seville STS N*
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it drives.

a loss of power. not exactly nothing, but i would say half of what it normally pushes when i step on the gas.

·
Super Moderator
86,997 Posts
Are you smelling raw gas or burnt gas? What year? What engine?

·
Registered
'94 Seville STS N*
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
smells like burnt. '94 sts, northstar 4.6

i edited my vehicle profile but nothing shows up. :-/

oops, found it. ;-D

·
Super Moderator
86,997 Posts
Remove the manifold cover and turn the key on to pressurize the fuel system, but DO NOT crank the engine. Look for a leaky fuel rail or FPR.

·
Registered
'94 Seville STS N*
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
turns out one of the other coil packs completely failed.

they replaced at no charge (because i said i was dissatisfied w/ the fact that the mechanic didn't even drive the car after replacing the first part) & also took care of a dead tail light bulb for me.

they charged $1.33 for that though >:-|

gotta love going to a dealership (whoa), especially one who is honest with their mistakes

·
Registered
'94 Seville STS N*
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
uh oh. idle temps crawled upto 230 earlier today.

while driving, even flooring it, it will stay below 210 for the most part.

only at an idle will the temps reach any higher. and prior to the coil packs & that crazy coolant flowing out, the temps never went above 217.

only recently have they begun to reach any higher. very bad sign? should i dump the car asap?

·
Registered
1996 STS
105 Posts
Are your fans coming on? If the temp drops while crusing it sounds like your fans are not kicking in, or at least kicking in later than normal suggesting a relay problem or fan problem itself. Also as mentioned, a faulty t/s could be the culprit also. Try disconnecting it and put it in boiling water, if it springs open then it is fine.

·
Registered
'94 Seville STS N*
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
wish i knew how to disconnect it. :p

and/or check my water pump tensioner/pulley. :-D

i don't want to spend more money on this thing. :-(

·
Registered
'94 Seville STS N*
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well, they couldn't get it past 228f with it idling for over two hours.

they said that is 'normal', and they couldn't find a single thing to fix. the service repair dude said that these guys are greedy "mother ****ers" and would do anything to get my money. the only problem was they couldn't find a single thing to warrant a repair. he said MAYBE the cap's seal might be losing pressure, so i went ahead and bought a new one. the temps haven't gone past 223 yet.

anyways. when i asked them to put some pellets in the last time i had it there, they seemed to have crushed up the pellets and just poured them in the tank. on my year, aren't the uncrushed pellets supposed to be put directly into the upper/lower hose? i told the service dude that and he told me he was told (lots of word of mouth going on here) that they are supposed to be put directly into the tank.

needless to say, it looks like there is sand in my tank and/or around the filler neck. my dad said he would pay for a flush if it would give me peace of mind. i believe i shall.

would for any reason, all of that stopleak sand crap being circulated at once put my temps up a bit? is it worth it to get a flush & refill w/ orange?

·
Super Moderator
86,997 Posts
The tabs (crushed or otherwise) go in the hose on a Northstar because there is very little flow in the surge tank. All that muck is sitting in the bottom of the tank and could clog it. No need to flush the entire system. Just pull the hose off of the bottom of the tank and flush the tank. Then top it off with a 50/50 mix of Dex & distilled water.

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
turns out one of the other coil packs completely failed.

they replaced at no charge (because i said i was dissatisfied w/ the fact that the mechanic didn't even drive the car after replacing the first part) & also took care of a dead tail light bulb for me.

they charged $1.33 for that though >:-|

gotta love going to a dealership (whoa), especially one who is honest with their mistakes
Put a plug in for that dealer. Mention his name here and in the section where you can rate dealerships. Maybe he will pick up some business as a result of his attitude and performance.

Nice to reward people.

·
Registered
'94 Seville STS N*
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
oh i didnt know there were dealership ratings on this forum

cool

anyway his name is jay & he works at maroone cadillac on 45th street in west palm beach, florida

the girl who got the work done for free (when my initial request was only to pay for parts, no labor), i honestly have no idea what her name was. but she was also a service advisor.

also, for an update--the new cap seems to have fixed something. no more slow crawl towards 230+ :-D.

223 is the highest it shall go.

·
Registered
1997 Polo Green Cadillac Seville STS
685 Posts
Let me tell you something about the pellets, .. If I were you, I would crush the pellets, then add it to a cup of coolant, mix well then pour that cup into the top of radiator itself!!!...bE SURE THE BOTTOM COOLING HOSE IS FULLY CONNECTED). ThIS is a sure fire way to : Know the pellets have been mixed, AND ensure the recovery tank or the heater core does not clog up...:tisk: :tisk:

·
Super Moderator
86,997 Posts
The Northstar does not have a cap on the radiator itself. The only access is through the surge tank, but that method should work.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts