Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2004 CTS
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where I can find a gas cap that locks. I bought one from Autozone for about $15, but it was a piece of crap. The cap locked, however if you turned it counterclockwise enough times it popped right off. I just hate the fact that anyone has access to my gas tank. If anyone knows where I can get a gas cap that locks and actually works, please let me know! Thank you!! :duck:

·
Registered
41,009 Posts
Most people don't know how easy it is to get to the CTS gas cap; they "assume" the fuel door must be popped from inside the car. I remember searching for the button to "pop" the gas tank door from inside when I first got my car. :tard: I still don't get why the CTS doesn't have that.

Oh and remember that if the replacement cap doesn't have the correct vacuum, you will likely get a "check engine" light.

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,824 Posts
A few years ago when I was shopping for a car, way before I could afford a Cadi. I stumbled upon a 2000 Buick Centry, I believe. You know how you check things here and there when you test drive the car. Well one thing for me was to open the gas tank as the sales person was inside doing some paper work. I tried to open the door with my fingers, such as our CTS. But it wouldn't open. So I looked inside for a button to press. Again couldn't find one. I asked the sales person when he came out. He went over to the gas door and pressed the damn thing open. I nearly soiled my pants. Well turns to find out that when the doors are locked with the remote. The gas door locks too.

So how come GM didn't do that with Cadillacs? Who knows.

KOT

·
Registered
04 CTS 3.6L "The Gray Ghost"(R.I.P), 05 CTS 3.6L "Fin"
369 Posts
When I bought my cts, the sales guy was finishing with another customer and gave me the keys to check it out while I waited. He was gone for 10-15 minutes and I used most of that time looking for the dam gas unlock button. He came back out and that was the first thing I asked and he walked around the car and puhed it open. I felt pretty stupid.
I haven't seen a car that didn't have the unlock button on the door or seat in about 15 years. All that money for a caddy and they gas cap doesn't even lock. What's up with that!?

·
Registered
2005 CTS 3.6
46 Posts
Most people don't know how easy it is to get to the CTS gas cap; they "assume" the fuel door must be popped from inside the car. I remember searching for the button to "pop" the gas tank door from inside when I first got my car. :tard: I still don't get why the CTS doesn't have that.

Oh and remember that if the replacement cap doesn't have the correct vacuum, you will likely get a "check engine" light.
OMG i remember that too. I had a hell of a time trying to figure it out. I bet we could have a sticky topic about peoples stories of trying to figure out the gas cap. It makes you feel stupid when you finally figure it about but it should make GM feel more stupid for not using some kind of mechanism for opening or like the Buick that was 5 years older had.

·
Registered
CTS 2,8 l
230 Posts
I also have a 1989 Lebaron. This car is 20 years old and it has a leaver to open the gas door. The idea that you have to unlock the doors to open the gas door was a good idea

·
Registered
03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra
7,872 Posts
I was really suprised when I saw no gas door button...if the car doesn't have a button usually the door has some sort of imprint on it to make it easier to open. Guess gm saved a few mill by leaving this 1 feature out..cuz its not a deal breaker..they just have to sell gas caps with a lock seperate and make more $ LOL

·
Registered
CTS
56 Posts
When I bought my car I went to fill it up and I'm looking around the glove box and there was a button I press it thinking it was the gas door button went out side and it didn't open so went back in tried pressing it again and I look it's the traction control button, so I look some more while there's a line up building up behind me and I start it up and moved to a parking spot to investigate where the hell the button is looking even inside the trunk for a lever. Finally when I couldn't find it I tried prying it open with my fingers and did I feel stupid while I lol and looking around to make sure no one was watching.
WTF did Cadillac just forget to put one in, like every company has a locking gas door for the past 10 yrs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts