Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac Deville DTS
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,... IM BACK, with a NEW problem! Alright after being parked in our driveway overnight, we discovered these problems in the morning right before work! The steering wheel will not budge, left nor right. Neither key will go all the way into the ignition, which also means we cannot turn the key. Cannot shift out of park either. What's going on, any ideas!? Thank you!

By the way, I'm drivin' a 2002 Cadillac Deville DTS.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts
Try turning the steering wheel back and forth as far as it will go while inserting the key and see if that helps.

·
Registered
Cadillac Deville DTS
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried that but the steering wheel literally doesn't move, tires aren't turned either. I'll go try again tho :(

·
Registered
Cadillac Deville DTS
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Didn't work.... the key stops about a centimeter short in the ignition. This is very strange.

·
Super Moderator
86,781 Posts
It's locked because the wheel is locked in the anti-theft lock position. Might try wiggling the gear shifter as well, but I think you might be in for a new lock cylinder. Let me go out and take a quick look at my FSM.

·
Registered
Cadillac Deville DTS
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alright thank you, yeah tried the WD40, so far no luck. The WD40 straw goes in far enough to make the chimes go off, but the key is not allowed to go that far in... but let me know whatcha got, I haven't found much about this situation online.

·
Super Moderator
86,781 Posts
Not sure if this will help, but worth a shot. Under the rubber pad in front of the shifter and under the ashtray there should be a rubber plug that you can remove. Under that is a manual shift interlock button (I think it is orange). Try pushing that. If that doesn't work, I'm out of ideas. :noidea:

·
Registered
Cadillac Deville DTS
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
haha, thank you but, I already found the manual shift unlock... The cadillac was blocking me in for work this morning, so had to use the orange button to put it into neutral to at least move it back. Everything is still locked up :(

·
Registered
Cadillac Deville DTS
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So since nothing has worked, you said I may need a new lock cylinder.. is this still the case?

·
Super Moderator
86,781 Posts
That would be my guess, but I'd open the column shrouds and have a look see first.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm dealing with this right now my steering wheel is locked and the ignition is locked I cannot turn the wheel at all or key. did you have to take it to the dealership? Cuz I don't got money for all that help

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,254 Posts
I'm dealing with this right now my steering wheel is locked and the ignition is locked I cannot turn the wheel at all or key. did you have to take it to the dealership? Cuz I don't got money for all that help
=======================
rather than responding to a thread that died 9 YEARS ago -
you should start your own -
include the year and specific model of your (I assume) Cadillac -
and be SPECIFIC about the problem and what you have already tried to remedy the issue -

generally speaking -
I would try several quick shots of WD40 -
using the red straw - inserted into the lock cylinder -

then - insert and remove the ignition key - quickly - several times -
followed by a couple more quick shots of the WD40 -
this will clean / scrub /and flush dirt and debris from the pins/tumblers in the lock cylinder -

the other possibility is the steering wheel is under tension -
this will prevent the steering wheel lock from disengaging and ignition lock from turning -

try rocking/twisting the steering wheel left and right - quickly -
while keeping SLIGHT pressure on the ignition lock -

if that still doesn't work -
try jacking the front tires off the ground -
thus removing any possible torque -

·
Registered
4 Posts
you're wrong I fixed the problem with the fix of a tow truck driver. I had to turn the steering wheel and press down on it while turning the key and then putting my foot on the brake in this order.

Did start my own thread no one commented.

Thought I might help someone e ok see in the future by posting this. Thought someone from here might know and respond.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,423 Posts
you're wrong I fixed the problem with the fix of a tow truck driver. I had to turn the steering wheel and press down on it while turning the key and then putting my foot on the brake in this order.
Thought I might help someone e ok see in the future by posting this. Thought someone from here might know and respond.

He's correct - and you neglected to mention that you are working on a SRX (where you started your thread), not a FWD Deville. Please post in your correct forum. Crystal balls don't work well in here ! Thanks.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,254 Posts

=========================
you're wrong
well - EXCUUUUUSE ME for trying to help YOU -
don't worry - that will NOT happen again -

I hope you and your tow truck driver friend have a LONG and LASTING relationship -

·
Registered
Eldorado and DeVille
27 Posts
=========================
you're wrong
well - EXCUUUUUSE ME for trying to help YOU -
don't worry - that will NOT happen again -

I hope you and your tow truck driver friend have a LONG and LASTING relationship -
(y):unsure::mad: Wow now that is one bear trap; I hope not to step in!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts