Cadillac Owners Forum banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V Stealth Gray stock (unmodded and happy this way)
511 Posts
If you had Onstar couldn't they unlock the doors?
Not a fool proof method... I twice locked my keys in the V. The first time I discovered it immediately and OnStar was able to unlock the doors. The second time it was a few hours until I discovered it. OnStar was unsuccessful in unlocking the doors. The agent explained that this can happen because as the car sits with no active electrical power (as opposed to passive, meaning minimal power to operate the various control modules) the satellite connection can be disrupted. I didn't totally buy that explanation but OnStar could not unlock the doors so somehow their satellite signal had been disrupted.

·
Registered
2016 CTS 2.0 AWD Luxury
917 Posts
The service department at my dealer leaves the driver window down if the key is in the car. I take that as a no to OnStar or any other magic way to unlock the car.

BTW I did a quick search of ICD-10-CM. No luck finding a code for Suicide by Cadillac.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V Stealth Gray stock (unmodded and happy this way)
511 Posts
The service department at my dealer leaves the driver window down if the key is in the car. I take that as a no to OnStar or any other magic way to unlock the car.

BTW I did a quick search of ICD-10-CM. No luck finding a code for Suicide by Cadillac.
I think most repair shops do that now. Pretty standard procedure. Easier than paying a locksmith to get in or making the embarrassing call to the customer...

·
Registered
'16 CTS V-Sport Black/'16 CTS Luxury w/V-Sport Pkg White
5,784 Posts
Not a fool proof method... I twice locked my keys in the V. The first time I discovered it immediately and OnStar was able to unlock the doors. The second time it was a few hours until I discovered it. OnStar was unsuccessful in unlocking the doors. The agent explained that this can happen because as the car sits with no active electrical power (as opposed to passive, meaning minimal power to operate the various control modules) the satellite connection can be disrupted. I didn't totally buy that explanation but OnStar could not unlock the doors so somehow their satellite signal had been disrupted.
OnStars connection to the cars is typically Verizon Cellular (3G, early 2015 cars and older) or AT&T Cellular (4G LTE, late 2015 cars to the present) so yes the car can be without signal

·
Registered
18 ATS-V, 04 CTS-V, 09 CTS, 04 CTS
6,675 Posts
She was in a CTS Sedan and in the back with the child locks engaged? If so, the car functioned as it should and it has nothing to do with the autolocking or whether the doors were locked or not. The child locks are meant to disable the rear doors from the inside. This is simply user error.

·
Registered
2016 CTS 2.0 AWD Luxury
917 Posts
The original post did not specify that she was in the back seat. She was with her grandson. He took her purse into the house. Passive locks engaged. Usually a youngster will carry a handbag to be helpful. This is not specified either.

I read it as if she was the driver. Speculation. As of last evening the OP only returned the next day. Maybe that changed.

I'm sort of mystified by what seems to me to be an attempt to fault the lady as opposed to be helpful. That's my impression from this side of the screen. I can't read minds or establish intent. I may be wrong.

The electronics on my car are flaky. We all know that computers glitch and software malfunctions. Apologies if I am wrong but my sense is many posts seem to want to place blame on the lady as opposed to trying to help. Again, that's only my impression.

I'm trying to turn off the passive locking. This is not related to the thread. Frequently I return to find the car unlocked. Feedback is set on lights and horn. Horn does not sound. This has to be a simple item in settings. I've tried without result. The manual pg. 30 refers me to pg. 153. Page 153 refers me to pg. 30.

It's much easier for me to hit the lock button when I exit the car. I want to lock the car myself. So far no go. I don't know if it's me or the flaky electronics on my car. I am posting about my car not all Cadillacs. Electronics have been flaky since delivery. Dealer had them working correctly for a few months. Last January they flaked again. It gets old.

The only time I can rely on the passive locking is when I drive into the garage. I never lock my cars when they are garaged. Sitting in the car with the door open, finger depressing unlock button and waiting for three chimes is a PITA for me. Once I used the second key to unlock the car in the garage. Since then the memory seat does not retain the seat position.

I can't express how tired I am of this kind of stuff on my car. When/if I get to the point that it's a hardship to lock the car on the door panel take the key and put me in a home. :)

Again comments about my car are not about all Cadillacs.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts