Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1992 eldorado. 2007 dodge magnum hemi r/t
3,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just watched a news report about dodge dealers being ripped off in Vancouver Canada, 40 catalytic convertors have been stolen recently,
mainly from dodge trucks, they are being stolen for 3 precious metals in them, I caught the word platinum as one of them,but didn't get
the other ones, the dealer cost is $6000.00 per vehicle to replace them.

·
Super Moderator
2010 Platinum Escalade, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham
6,456 Posts
6grrrr for a cat!?!?!?!?!?! Ill sell a couple for half that right now!!!!! J/K

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
6grrrr for a cat!?!?!?!?!?! Ill sell a couple for half that right now!!!!! J/K
The dealers probably wrote every factor into the cost that they could, I have no idea what their worth.

·
Registered
Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS
13,792 Posts
The catalytic converter thieves have been active around Richmond for a couple of years .... they seem to go after the catalytics when they can't find someone's copper rain gutters and downspouts to steal. They seem to like the copper wiring in vacant houses a lot too!

Is there something about Dodge trucks that make them especially attractive to the "midnight salvagers?"

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The catalytic converter thieves have been active around Richmond for a couple of years .... they seem m to go after the catalytics when theey can find someone's copper rain gutters and downspouts to steal. They seem to like the copper wiring in vacant houses a lot too!

Is there something about Dodge trucks that make them especially attractive to the "midnight salvagers?"
I wondered about that too, maybe their easy to remove from dodge trucks, there's a lot of metal theft as well going on up here also, even live high voltage
power lines, the powers to be are making headway though in attacking this problem.

·
Registered
Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300
5,418 Posts
Just watched a news report about dodge dealers being ripped off in Vancouver Canada, 40 catalytic convertors have been stolen recently,
mainly from dodge trucks, they are being stolen for 3 precious metals in them, I caught the word platinum as one of them,but didn't get
the other ones, the dealer cost is $6000.00 per vehicle to replace them.
Gee, I wonder what it costs if they stole the engines out of the trucks as well???? Seriously if we're talking a $20,000 stripped work truck, there is no way the factory pays $6,000 for a cat converter.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,963 Posts
There is so little platinum in a muffler it wouldn't be worth the trouble. The layer of the platinum is only slightly more than a few molecules thick. Metal reclaimers and precious metal buyers have no interest in mufflers. Anybody stealing mufflers is working the chop shop used parts market. It's illegal to sell a used CAT. The whole deal would be sub rosa.

·
Registered
2005 STS Northstar RWD
511 Posts
Occasionally at work we get notices from the local PD that people have been steeling CATS off cars in near by parking lots. Mostly trucks that are already high enough off the ground to get under. Thankfully my car is pretty low. And we have security and cameras covering the parking lot all day.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts