Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My outside temp (shows at top of radio face) is acting goofy, reading 77 degrees when it is over 90. I suspect a loose wire connection. Can someone tell me just where this probe is located? Thanks.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
It is designed to act goofy.

There are a couple of things that limit the way this works, and ironically enough it is so that you don't get false readings.

First it won't change the display reading if the car has been sitting for less than 3 hours.
Next, it won't update unless you are moving, and then the update intervals are based on how fast you are going. At low city driving speeds it can take several minutes. At highway speeds it is more frequent.
The reason is because the sensor is located just in front of the radiator and condenser area.
There is a lot of heat there. When you shut the car off there can be a whole lot of heat coming off the rad and condenser. I guess they figured it has to sit for 3 hours to reduce down to ambient temps.

It makes sense for operation of the unit considering where the sensor is, but it doesn't seem to make sense for a real world type of thing.
I can get the specifics from the manual, but poor connections usually result in a display of dashes, not a specific incorrect temperature reading.
On some applications we can force an update to check the sensor, but that is really all.
If it was reading way off, like 32 degrees on a 90 degree day, then you could have a bad sensor.

·
Registered
2006 CTS 2.8L
2,471 Posts
That is very interesting information. Thank you!

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Lindsay. As always your advice is most appreciated. Did a longer test drive today and temp rose, albeit slowly, to ambient - so everything seems to be o.k.

·
Registered
Started with '04 BR V, moved on to '09 Slvr V, now '13 CRT coupe
1,957 Posts
Lindsay Cadillac is the best.....

Keep up the good work.
:thumbsup::thumbsup: 3 hr drive yesterday to Lindsay Cadillac to be there at 7:30,
8 hrs hanging around their lounge, eating their donuts and bugging James with questions every couple hours, (and Luke)
3 hr drive home (thru DC's commute traffic) after Bill (ewill3rd) replaced the radiator, 6 Nav buttons, & brake flush
Was it worth it? Absolutely! Treated great. No warranty hassles vs my local Cadillac dealer who works mostly on Hyundai's and an occasional DTS.

Lindsay Cadillac . . .:highfive:

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Thanks for the kind words guys.

Let me know if you want the techno-jargon out of the manual, I can get it.
Up there is the cliffs notes version.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts