Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
02 Seville, 04 SRX
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good news, I located the source of my coolant leak. Bad news, I located the source of my coolant leak.

A few weeks ago I started noticing some coolant puddles on the drivers side in the garage. Nothing too bad. I figured that it was the lower radiator hose (original) or the gasket around the waterpump housing. I replaced the hose and the leak continued. I couldn't find anything around the waterpump. Then the other day I got the low coolant message and the car began to slowly overheat. When I opened the hood, I heard a hissing sound behind the throttle body.

I waited for it to cool and upon further inspection, I found a small puddle on the back of the engine. It was dripping pretty fast into my catch-pan. About a month ago I was losing coolant. The replacement Specta radiator that I installed has a drain and the drain is plugged with a rubber cap that feels the need to break every 8 months. When I replaced the plug and topped it off, I didn't put new tablets in because it was negative 10 and I didn't feel like working on it anymore.

Yesterday I put six tabled into the lower hose and refilled it. Upon first full warm up the leak was significantly slower. I cooled the engine and warmed it five more times and drove it for 3 miles. Sitting overnight there was no "hiss" and this morning there were no puddles. I drove 15 minutes to work, 15 minutes home, and ran some errands. No puddles still.

How long can I expect the Bar's Leak to hold? I need some warmer weather before I consider doing the cross over. Even with a heater in the garage, it is just too cold out.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,270 Posts
Good news, I located the source of my coolant leak. Bad news, I located the source of my coolant leak.

A few weeks ago I started noticing some coolant puddles on the drivers side in the garage. Nothing too bad. I figured that it was the lower radiator hose (original) or the gasket around the waterpump housing. I replaced the hose and the leak continued. I couldn't find anything around the waterpump. Then the other day I got the low coolant message and the car began to slowly overheat. When I opened the hood, I heard a hissing sound behind the throttle body.

I waited for it to cool and upon further inspection, I found a small puddle on the back of the engine. It was dripping pretty fast into my catch-pan. About a month ago I was losing coolant. The replacement Specta radiator that I installed has a drain and the drain is plugged with a rubber cap that feels the need to break every 8 months. When I replaced the plug and topped it off, I didn't put new tablets in because it was negative 10 and I didn't feel like working on it anymore.

Yesterday I put six tabled into the lower hose and refilled it. Upon first full warm up the leak was significantly slower. I cooled the engine and warmed it five more times and drove it for 3 miles. Sitting overnight there was no "hiss" and this morning there were no puddles. I drove 15 minutes to work, 15 minutes home, and ran some errands. No puddles still.

How long can I expect the Bar's Leak to hold? I need some warmer weather before I consider doing the cross over. Even with a heater in the garage, it is just too cold out.
=
=================================
Yesterday I put six tabled into the lower hose and refilled it.
REALLY? - :tisk:

WHEN it starts overheating -
clean out the PURGE LINE and HOLLOW BOLT -

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,449 Posts
You should have never put in the seal tabs in the first place. GM has discontinued their use and issued a TSB that they shall not be used in any engine/model year unless GM specifically issues another update for a specific vehicle.

So, you now have a blob of too much snake grease in there. The plug in the radiator ???? Is this the one right in front of the alternator ??? If so, that plug is subject to full system pressure - 18 psi warm - and it's no wonder it blows out. That nipple needs to be blanked off somehow - it was used for the discontinued coolant-cooled alternators.

Leaks on the driver's side ??? Find and fix it. Sealants are temporary BandAids at best - might leak tomorrow, might leak next year.

·
Registered
02 Seville, 04 SRX
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Damn it GM! For the longest time, the rule was to always put the tabs in the hose and to not put them into the reservoir. As long as the coolant tabs give me some time to wait for the weather to improve, I guess they will have been worth it. I was at the point where coolant was leaking so fast that I couldn't drive and the tabs seemed to have stopped it temporarily.

The plug is at the very bottom of the radiator, under the alternator. The plug doesn't actually blow out, it cracks until it eventually bursts. Some kind of plastic tip beneath the plug would be ideal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts