Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm kinda stuck on something. I just bought two turn signal LEDS from autolumination.com (SMT Tower LED's). They blink fast, because LED's draw less current the your stock bulbs. I bought the load resistors to hook up across the bulb, but I have no clue how I'm supposed to hook up the resistor to the bulb, then plug the bulb into the socket. The bulb wont fit with the LED attached to it. I am stumped on how to do this. If anyone has done this before, or knows where I can get a good procedure to follow, that would be great. Thanks alot guys.

CadVman

·
Registered
Cadillac
45 Posts
Should of came with directions, I had the same ones and I put one on each front turn signal. You have to splice them in before the bulb socket. For 1156 bulbs one wire goes to the ground wire coming from bulb socket and the other wire to the turn. For 1157 bulbs one wire goes to the tail/running light wire coming from bulb socket and the other wire to the brake/turn. Make sure you mount the resister away from wires and plastic they get pretty warm.

·
Registered
04 cadillac cts v
5,585 Posts
Should of came with directions, I had the same ones and I put one on each front turn signal. You have to splice them in before the bulb socket. For 1156 bulbs one wire goes to the ground wire coming from bulb socket and the other wire to the turn. For 1157 bulbs one wire goes to the tail/running light wire coming from bulb socket and the other wire to the brake/turn. Make sure you mount the resister away from wires and plastic they get pretty warm.
yes they get hot but follow the instructions from the website and it is easy :thumbsup:

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
GBCTSV, on my V, the blinker bulbs are 3157 bulbs. Any difference in the wiring. Could you explain that? When you insert the bulb into the socket, its a real tight fit. When you mean splice the wires, how do you get them to hold in place in the socket? This is more complicated than I thought. The resistor will get in the way. The wires on the load resistor I bought are short . There is not enough slack for it to hang out of the way. Do I have to start soldering here? man! lol, let me know. THanks!

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS-V
17 Posts
When you insert the bulb into the socket, its a real tight fit. When you mean splice the wires, how do you get them to hold in place in the socket?
I haven't attempted it on my CTS-V yet, but logic and past experience dictate that you'll have to splice into the wiring itself, not interface between the bulb and the socket. Basically, cut the wires that go to the bulb socket, wire the resistor into the circuit as directed, then reconnect. You'll either have to solder or use crimp connectors, whichever you prefer. Since you seem a bit inexperienced (no offense), I'd recommend crimps.

//Edward

·
Registered
2007 CTS-V Thunder Gray; 2004 Cowboy Cadillac (SRT10)
17,712 Posts
You could modify the DRL/FOG unit to eliminate the Doubler circuit. I have done this on mine, running LED's without the Load resistor and it works fine. I am not drawing the extra current (easier on the circuit) and don't need to worry about the heat. Another advantage is I have not modified the harness so it's easy to go back to bulb's if I want.

I removed the resisitor but if you cut the trace between the resistor and the IC then you could restore the circuit later if the LED's are removed.

I will be writing a faq for this but for now I would go to the Faq page and download "how to eliminate the Day Time Running lights" This will show you were the the unit is located and how to remove it from the car.

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
I haven't attempted it on my CTS-V yet, but logic and past experience dictate that you'll have to splice into the wiring itself, not interface between the bulb and the socket. Basically, cut the wires that go to the bulb socket, wire the resistor into the circuit as directed, then reconnect. You'll either have to solder or use crimp connectors, whichever you prefer. Since you seem a bit inexperienced (no offense), I'd recommend crimps.

//Edward
His wife said same thing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts