Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/afp/20050927/sc_afp/scienceanimalssquid_050927231557

1 hour, 27 minutes ago

PARIS (AFP) - Japanese zoologists have made the first recording of a live giant squid, one of the strangest and most elusive creatures in the world.

At 9:15 am on September 30 2004, squids as we know them changed forever.
(I think the date is wrong here)

At that moment, 900 metres (2,925 feet) down in the Stygian gloom, an eight-metre (26-feet) specimen lunged at the lower bait bag, succeeding only in getting itself impaled on the hook.

For the next four hours, the squid tried to get itself off the hook as the camera snapped away every 30 seconds, gaining not only unprecedented pictures but also precious information about how the squid is able to propel itself.

After a monstrous battle, the squid eventually freed itself, but left behind a giant tentacle on the hook.

When the severed limb was brought up to the surface, its huge suckers were still able to grip the boat deck and any fingers that touched them -- testimony indeed to the myths of yore, that spoke of monstrous arms that grabbed ships and hauled them to their doom.

·
Registered
1989 Sedan DeVille is now just a fond memory ....
10,429 Posts
Wouldn't take but a few of those to ruin the calamari market in the restaurant business!

·
Registered
10,429 Posts
powerglide said:
At that size they must be tough as leather.......
Yes but with the right marinades it shouldn't be a problem....

·
Registered
01 frontier , 89 Shelby CSX vnt
14,607 Posts
this is HUGE news , ive been following giant squid news for many years , altho gross i find them facinateing , ive watched all the programs on disco channel and everything trying to learn more .....this IS a big deal ...

there just incredible , i never did hear what happend to the giant squid they acutally have in a lab somewhere , it was a baby squid when they got it , wonder how it did ...

·
Registered
94 FWB, 93 SDV, 94 FWB (sold), 90 Brougham (sold)
3,730 Posts
Oh man! That's just plain nuts! It just goes to show how little of our own planet we know compared to other planets and stuff! However, I was kind of hoping for pics of some 300 foot monster!

Brian

·
Registered
None now...1972 Challenger=my pride and joy.
5,702 Posts

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Some pictures on CNN today...
http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/asiapcf/09/27/japan.squid.ap/index.html

Spyder
Yeah I don't understand whats up with the date, the CNN article has Oct 04, so maybe they took the pictures but didn't get all the DNA etc done, journal articles written till lately. Once published, it may have recently become available.

Stoney
Yeah it is HUGE news....glad you share my enthusiasm. Its like the time the Coelacanth was discoverd!

·
Registered
10,429 Posts
Thank you Eldorado1, you've put my thoughts to picture exactly! :histeric: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
None now...1972 Challenger=my pride and joy.
5,702 Posts
Hell, that one pic is pretty mean looking...wish there was something to for size comparison...and I wish there were MORE pics...oh well, I guess they'll comeout over time...

·
Registered
10,429 Posts
Spyder said:
Hell, that one pic is pretty mean looking...wish there was something to for size comparison...and I wish there were MORE pics...oh well, I guess they'll comeout over time...
Well, I'd say he's of average height but it is just a guess. You're right, there's nothing to compared the guy with. Now if he were wearing a powder blue leisure suite he wouldn't look nearly as mean.......
:leaving:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts