Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
NONE
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks -

I'm hiding in the shade here in the paddock, after my first session on the track with the V2. It was a fun session, and my instructor (EVERYONE gets one today...) soloed me already.

This car handles very well... for what it is. Having "grown up" at the track in Corvettes, this definitely can't compare. Turn-INS require a bit more planning than my Z06 did. But I expected that. I also managed to overheat te diff about half way through the session. If that keeps happening throughout the day, I may call it and head home. This car desparately needs a diff cooler...

More later, including videos.

jas

·
Registered
NONE
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hey again -

The second red run group (which I'm in) session didn't go so well. After a few laps, we were black flagged because a Corvette was off in turn 3. After they recovered him, we went back out. I got 2 or 3 laps in, and my diff warning came on again. So I parked it for the day.

Unfortunately, that wasn't the end of the excitement. Right as they brought the checker out, a nasty accident happened at turn 10. I don't know all the details, but a silver V went off, into the gravel trap, and rolled. It end up on its roof, wedged against a berm. Another V, black, also ended up in the same trap, with its entire passenger side squished. Fortunately, everyone is OK.

More later...

jas

·
Registered
Cadillac
354 Posts
Hey Jas,

Glad you had fun on the first run...sorry to hear about the second run.

It's funny you mention the rear diff cooler, I just got done drawing up my mounting locations for the one im doing in house...it should be out soon...the only down side is that im not sure there will be enough ground clearance for the optional fan. I'll keep you in the loop if you are interested in testing one out on the track for us.

·
Registered
2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)
4,537 Posts
Thanks for the posts, jvp. I wish I'd been able to go, but I had another important commitment today that I simply couldn't miss. I'll try next year.

·
Registered
41,009 Posts
:yeah: Can't wait for the pics/vids.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Here I am at WORK reading about this when I should have been there. I had to come in today and flush the $ down the drain. Oh well, there is always next time, maybe October huh Luke

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
Here I am at WORK reading about this when I should have been there. I had to come in today and flush the $ down the drain. Oh well, there is always next time, maybe October huh Luke
You're not the only one who paid and couldn't make it...

·
See you in the funny papers
04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(
26,239 Posts
Hey again -

The second red run group (which I'm in) session didn't go so well. After a few laps, we were black flagged because a Corvette was off in turn 3. After they recovered him, we went back out.

Unfortunately, that wasn't the end of the excitement. Right as they brought the checker out, a nasty accident happened at turn 10. I don't know all the details, but a silver V went off, into the gravel trap, and rolled. It end up on its roof, wedged against a berm. Another V, black, also ended up in the same trap, with its entire passenger side squished. Fortunately, everyone is OK.

More later...

jas
Were the two Vs that wrecked 09s or earlier ones? Glad to hear everyone's okay, but yeesh...

·
Registered
NONE
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, some more info on this crash. Apparently the black V was going around 10 just fine. The silver V apparently lost his brakes into 10, T-boned the black one, and they both went off. The silver V then rolled due to his entry speed into te gravel trap.

Bleah.

has

·
Registered
41,009 Posts
What a bummer. :(

·
Registered
NONE
3,844 Posts
Man that sucks! So what happens in terms of insurance? Really sucks for the Black V...
I don't know how Luke is running it, but when Mark and MVP ran V-day and all of their track days, it is up to the 2 (or more) parties in the accident to deal with all damages.

·
Registered
NONE
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Man that sucks! So what happens in terms of insurance?
It's up to each individual to figure it out, deal with insurance/repairs/blame/etc. The problem is, this is a private road (race track). Without an official police report, it becomes very difficult to assign blame.

My suspicion is, each individual is going to be stuck paying for the repair of their own vehicles. The silver one is easy: it's totaled. But the black one looked repairable.

jas

·
Registered
NONE
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Man i'd love to ride in that!
I did score a single lap with Andy. It was a complete blast. A power-to-weight ratio similar to a stock Z06, and driven by a consummate professional. Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee....

jas

·
Registered
NONE
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey folks -

OK, I hope everyone could pardon my bad spelling and typing with the first few posts in the thread. I was surfing the Caddy forums with my iPhone, live from the Point. And AT&T's coverage there just sucks.

Anyway, I'm home. It was a fun day (because I wasn't at work) to be at the track, but personally a little disappointing as far as the V2 is concerned. Keep in mind: I'm not used to driving a 4200 lb pig on the track, nor one shod with street tires. I'll start with the complaints:

1. The car pushed like a pig. Through the carrousel and turn 9, my left front tire would HOOOOWWWWL like a banshee and the car would just push. I just couldn't find the right tire pressure setup for the PS2s. But I think pressure changing would have helped only so much. The car just isn't as responsive as I'd hoped it would be. I'll mostly blame the tires for this, but part of it is just pure mass.

2. I kept nailing the rev limiter. Dammit. :)

3. And finally, what ended my day was the differential overheating. The warning came on right at the end of the first session (I noticed it as I was pitting in). It came on right as we got black-flagged in the second session. And again, when we went out after the black flag. I decided to park the car for the day. We need a diff cooler if we're going to be raising hell on a race track.

And now for the good stuff.

1. Recaros! What a great job they did holding me secure in place. I didn't have to brace myself or lean against anything. They're absolutely wonderful on the track.

2. Handling other than the pushing: for a 4200lb pig, it does an excellent job of cutting up pavement. GM did a great job making the car seem a lot lighter than it really is.

3. BRAKES!! I love 'em. They never once let me down and never once felt like they were even weakening or fading in the least. Brembo: good!

I sat out most of the rest of the day, save for putting my name on the list to get a ride with Andy. He was doing 1-lap rides in the racing V. If he hit traffic while he was out there... you got another lap. Near the end of the day, my name finally came up, and I hopped in the car with him. YAAAHOOOOOO! He's one hell of a driver. That was so much fun.

My Mac is currently working all 8 of its CPUs at 100%, processing the 2 in-car videos I have. It'll finish working on them sometime this evening while I'm asleep. I'll upload them tomorrow morning once I get to work. Watch this thread for the links.

jas

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
Is everyone OK? I heard the driver of the silver V may have had a broken collarbone and concussion...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts