Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2007 DTS
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, new to the this great forum. Found it while googling for info on aftermarket installation materials for my 07 DTS. Kept getting linked to photos on this forum and figured I should probably sign up and see if there is anything I may or may not need before I order materials to replace the OEM radio.

I am replacing the OEM unit with a Pioneer AVHX8500BHS Double-DIN head unit.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B8DRG9Q/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

What I would like to accomplish besides having a clean install is maintaining the steering wheel control functionality and eventually replacing the factory speakers and subwoofer. My question to you all is what other materials will I need to achieve this outside of the ones I will list below and what tips or "heads-up" can you give me to simplify the process. Thanks.

To maintain steering wheel control I understand I will need a kit that may require some wire splicing. I have found these 2, anyone have experience with either? Any idea if one is superior to the other and will simplify the process?

1. http://www.amazon.com/PAC-SWI-RC-Steering-Control-Interface/dp/B004HKBY8G/

2. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B4PJC9K/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1MK9PV435G9D0&coliid=I2MZC63R57VPQ1

Will also need a dash kit which I also found on amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0017TRUKG/

What I have not found is a wiring harness that will connect to the harness inside the dash that will allow me to splice the appropriate wires and hook it into the harness running into the aftermarket unit. Any help would be appreciated. Again, its a Pioneer AVHX8500BHS Double-DIN head unit.

Aside from the harness and anything else I have listed, is there anything I may be missing besides the tools? Is there anything I should know about this Bose system that may give me issues?

As for the speaker and sub replacement, that will come a little later down the line. I found this harness to simplify replacing the speakers, anything else I may need or that you may suggest would be much appreciated.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002BEUZ8/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1MK9PV435G9D0&coliid=I1CYW5HIQKBM0O

Thanks for reading.

----------

FYI, more googling yielded what seems to be a kit that will greatly reduce install time and over all hassle when it comes to maintaining the steering wheel controls.

http://www.amazon.com/PAC-RP5-GM31-Replacement-Interface-Navigation/dp/B009P8A044/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

·
Registered
2005 CTS/ 2008 DTS/ 2008 STS V8 N*/ 2011 CTS4 ALL W/D Pearl
688 Posts
If you have not owned a Cadillac before you probably do not know how finicky our electrical systems are to any intervention.

Some here will argue if done right NO PROBLEM but I tend to differ.
The 2000-2005 Deville and the 2006-2011 DTS do not like to be tampered with believe me. Check prior threads in the FWD Deville forum and you will see after market add ones seem to be a problem. Especially with parasitic drains.

If you have the base system you can see about upgrading to the Bose system Cadillac provides and I would contact Cadillac to see how involved that would be.

You can look up top at the DTS pictures and see one with a trunk full of speakers and read later where he had trouble.

I do not want to rain on you're parade but just a little thought before you spend so much money.

·
Registered
2011 cadillac dts
556 Posts
They have a kit that would keep very thing that the oem radio does except the control from the steering wheel. I have on my car a pioneer NV 90bt gps. The interface that i have use on both 06 and 11 dts had use Peripheral GMAHLANB you could find it on ebay they range from 15 to 80 dollars it work great. It is a plug-in interface.

·
Registered
1990 Cadillac Seville 2003 Cadillac DTS 2010 DTS Platinum
538 Posts
There's a kit to add the wheel controls back. But when you change your head unit you will also need a Bose adapter ( assuming u have bose speakers)

·
Registered
2011 DTS Platinum
4,633 Posts
If you will call Crutchfield, they can probably tell you everything you need to maintain all the functionality...

·
Registered
2013 XTS Premium
214 Posts
The pac steering control one is better. The onstar interface is ok , the only yhing that sucks is the turn signal and warning beeps suck, they wont go through the left front speaker anymore. It has a pigtail with an electronic magnet soeaker that sits behind your dash and sounds cheesy.

·
Registered
2007 DTS
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the feedback, all. Tom's caddy, my vehicle does have a bose system already integrated. Not very good news with the potential problems you say I may run into but I think I will roll the dice and go with my original plan to try the head unit first. If that goes well I will take it to a professional shop to handle the speaker and sub install. Should'nt cost me much money with the most expensive equipment (subs, head unit, sub amp) being pulled from my previous vehicle. Guess I shall see. I will be sure to update here once I replace the head unit. Thanks again guys.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,513 Posts
Please keep us cut in. This has great potential for electrical and electronic disaster.............. remember: The original HU is programmed with the car's VIN and is part of the theft and serial data bus systems.

·
Registered
2007 DTS
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Please keep us cut in. This has great potential for electrical and electronic disaster.............. remember: The original HU is programmed with the car's VIN and is part of the theft and serial data bus systems.
I surely will. This kit should reduce the potential headaches that can come if not done properly.

http://www.amazon.com/PAC-RP5-GM31-Replacement-Interface-Navigation/dp/B009P8A044/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I ordered that kit along with the dash kit

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0017TRUKG/

Should be here by the middle of the week. Once I get on it I will update with photos and maybe a video.

·
Registered
18 XTS Luxury AWD, 06 SRX V6-AWD *** Gone - 08 DTS LuxIII, 87 Brougham d'Elegance
494 Posts
I bought my car in June 2013 and the stock stereo had been exchanged by a local Cadillac dealer for the previous owner; installing a Pioneer AVIC-Z120BT. I have nearly full functionality; including steering wheel controls. The button on my steering wheel that has the face/voice symbol on it doesn't work...I'm not sure exactly what it is supposed to do...but mine does nothing. The only "interface" issues that I've had involve the OnStar Turn-by-Turn directions. For some reason, only about 1/2 of the directions came through on the speakers...the rest were static. My Pioneer has SatNav, so I dropped the Directions and Connections part of OnStar and only have the Safe and Sound (or whatever the basic package is called).

That said, the major problem that my car has had involves the Pioneer stereo head unit, itself...it's the worst I've ever seen. I've never had a stereo unit with more issues. The Bluetooth module is burned out and it will cost me over $300 to send the unit in to Pioneer to have them fix it. The SatNav is always about 50 yards off (you pass the street as the map shows you approaching the street). The reverse camera only works about 60% of the time...the rest of the time, it's either a black screen or a degraded picture. The module that turns off the power to the stereo when you open the driver door burned out; leaving the stereo on 24/7 with no way to turn off the power (except by pulling the fuse). That cost me about $100 to have fixed. Now, the "splash page" that comes up when you turn on the car is staying on about twice the amount of time it used to...so the stereo has to wait to "boot up" before you can use it. Most times, you can still use the reverse camera, but sometimes the splash page causes flickering or serious degrading of the picture. I've been so tempted to get an orignal stereo and put it back in, but when my Pioneer works, I like it. I just cannot count on it working every time. It's a crap-shoot.

What I like about the stereo I have is that it takes a beautiful car and gives it some of the features that are only found in the newer cars. I don't like the newer cars, even the newer Cadillacs. Having the techy features of the newer Cadillacs on my DTS is the best of both worlds. What's more, in researching the issues on my Pioneer, I learned that it was a $1500 unit (thankfully, the previous owner had the work done by one of our Cadillac dealers and I didn't have to pay for it). I expect better out of a $1500 unit.

All that to say... just be sure that the aftermarket stereo you're installing is a reliable one.

·
Registered
2007 DTS
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quick update:

I went ahead and replaced the factory radio but have run into the following problems:

1. On Star doesn't work properly, if I hit the onstar button on the rear view mirror it tries to come on but I hear nothing through the speakers. It powers off the aftermarket radio and it takes a while to get it back on. This isn't a big deal to me because I will never use onstar but it's one less feature that would be nice to say works.

2. Steering wheel controls don't work. I used this PAC RP5-GM31 ( http://www.pac-audio.com/productDetails.aspx?ProductId=1123&CategoryID=26 ) kit that supposedly maintains all these features if installed correctly but no dice for me. Another feature I lost that is of little consequence for me since I'm so used to using the touch screen features on the aftermarket unit.

3. If the 2 previous issues were the only issues with the install I would be able to live with it but I also lost the key-less start-up feature which I absolutely want to keep with these cold winter days and hot summers that are sure to come.

4. Last issue with the install is the face of the head unit cannot be detached if I want to take it out of the car to deter break ins. I also cannot insert CDs or use the DVD feature. If you skip to 8:30 of this video you can see how the head unit opens to insert disc, it also opens the same way to detach the face.

On my install when it goes to open up the bottom of the head unit hits the bottom lip of the dash kit that is holding it. It isn't a big deal for me because I did run an USB cable from the back of the unit into the the ashtray holding the cigarette lighter. I listen to all of my music off of my ipod and no longer use disc but I would like to be able to detach the face. I will have to see if I can slide the head unit up a half inch or so to be able to utilize all of the features the head unit has to offer.

Anyways, I will be removing the radio and checking the connections after contacting the company who manufacturers the wiring kit, pac-audio, and see if there is anything they can tell me to look out for when I recheck everything. If I can iron out those issues listed above, at least the keyl-less start-up, I will be very happy. Aesthetically I have no complaints, looks like a factory unit.

Here are a few snap shots of the installation process. Click the pics for a larger size.

·
Registered
2007 DTS LUX II 75k - Once owned 1998 Deville & 2002 Deville
241 Posts
The module is not compatible with your radio. I had Best Buy install a JVC with XM and rear view camera.
The first problem I had was the radio would not turn on sometimes and the tech made a change in the wiring.
Then I had intermitting audio and chimes. Best Buy checked with the manufacturer to see if there was a firmware
update for the module. They told him he needed a different module and would send it out to him. Now everything
works fine.

·
Registered
2007 DTS
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey Eddie,

According to the website that is the correct unit for my vehicle. I will give them a call to make sure but I checked a million times before I made the order. I will give them a call and see if there is a firmware update for my unit but I need the USB cable that plugs in to be able to apply it.

The module is not compatible with your radio. I had Best Buy install a JVC with XM and rear view camera.
The first problem I had was the radio would not turn on sometimes and the tech made a change in the wiring.
Then I had intermitting audio and chimes. Best Buy checked with the manufacturer to see if there was a firmware
update for the module. They told him he needed a different module and would send it out to him. Now everything
works fine.
----------

Wow! I just went to try the key-less start up again just for the hell of it and it worked. I have no idea if it has anything to do with it but my car was completely covered in snow last night when I tried and it didn't respond, the brake lights did blink but it didn't power on. Very, very odd but I am happy. If I can get the Onstar & SWC to work, cool but if not no big deal. My main objective now is to be able to detach the face of the head unit. :worship:

·
Registered
2007 DTS LUX II 75k - Once owned 1998 Deville & 2002 Deville
241 Posts
If you live close to a large Best Buy, may I suggest you talk to one of their techs.

·
Registered
2007 DTS
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got the steering wheel controls to work, had the aux plugged into the wrong input. PAC tech support also told me how to get the on-star to stop turning off the head unit, will fix that when I get around to taking out the head unit again to shave the bottom lip in order to be able to take the face off the head unit.

·
Registered
2006 DTS
5 Posts
I apologize for bringing up an old thread, I wanted to PM the OP, but can't figure that out. I'm getting ready to install a Jensen VX7020 in my '06 DTS, and my main question is, is the PAC kit, and the plastic mounting kit the only things needed? Not sure if I need to buy a Steering Wheel Interface as well (I believe the PAC kit should have it, but don't know.) Were there any lingering issues with remote start, Onstar, etc? How awful does the chime sound? I hear its lousy. Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
746 Posts
The Jensen VX7020 is a good choice. The Pac-RP5-GM31 will retain all the warning chimes and OnStar. Some years the chime comes through the driver’s speaker and others will come out the speaker that comes with the Pac kit. STW is built in the pac. The only wiring to hook are the radio harness to the Pac-RP5-GM31 the rest is plug to plug to the car harness. You can update the maps 4 times a year plus you get a backup camera. PM me and a will send you how to adjust the diversity antenna system. I have done over 60 of them.

Tom..

·
Registered
2006 DTS
146 Posts
First, never buy Jenson or Pioneer. For the dough you blow on Pioneer, add a few hundred more and buy the Cadillac of Radios. Get an ALPINE with Nav off Ebay new. ;)

·
Registered
2006 DTS
5 Posts
Thank you, I installed a 7020 in my woman's Xterra about a year ago and it was the best upgrade ever. This Forum won't allow me to send PMs, must be I haven't been active enough or something?? What is the diversity antenna system? Something to do with the XM antenna, or adapting the Jensen to fit the OEM antenna wire? I don't plan to install a backup camera on this car, (although I did on the Xterra and she loves it,) but I would like to retain XM radio, and have the added functionality of the Bluetooth and Navigation.

·
Registered
2007 DTS Luxury II
113 Posts
When the Kenwood was installed in my car they had to get a kit for the steering wheel controls, a kit for the OnStar and a kit for the Sirius/XM. Everything works great.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts