Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
1996 STS
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Found this little chip in the pulley and I want to know if this is a must repair/replace or if its nothing all that bad. It looks like it might rip up the serpentine belt. And I would like to know my cheapest option here, I am a young kid in the process of looking for a job and I need to spend as little money as possible(kind of regretting that I bought an old caddy right now). The car btw is a 1996 seville sts.

Another question, the current serpentine belt broke I think I know the reason why and I am pretty sure its my fault(i swapped the a/c compressor for a bypass pulley cause it didnt work but the bypass pulley wasnt level with the other pulleys), on the bottom there is a really big pulley next to the a/c compressor pulley and it doesnt move. I dont know if this happened when the belt broke or not.

thank you

·
Administrator
2002 F55 STS, 2014 Explorer XLT, F-150s
74,633 Posts
The chip is nothing to worry about. Bypass pulleys and belts must be the EXACT correct size and EXACT alignment. A 1996 Northstar probably needs each pulley and bearing inspected - and the same for the water pump drive pulley and tensioner pulley. That tensioner pulley seizes and you're into big money. The water pump is on the driver's side ......

I hate to say this, but you have the wrong car to drive on a shoestring. High, expensive maintenance item.

Font Line art

·
Registered
1999 Eldorado 1983 Seville
191 Posts
As Submariner409 says, The chip in the pulley should be of no concern, BUT, to be on the safe side, run a finger along the chip: if there is a sharp edge noticeable to the touch, I would smooth it out with a small file or emery cloth. Any sharp edge on the pulley might affect the belt.

As to your second question, if you have a pulley on the engine that is driven by the serpentine belt and it does not turn, you have a big problem. If this non turning pulley is the water pump pulley, you won't get very far if you attempt to drive the car. Check out the picture Sub posted in post #2, if this is the one you are referring to (water pump) you probably will wind up replacing it. By not turning while the engine is running, it will just break more belts and destroy the engine.

QUOTE:
(i swapped the a/c compressor for a bypass pulley cause it didnt work but the bypass pulley wasnt level with the other pulleys),

Just wondering why you swapped out the compressor pulley: If the A/C compressor did not work because it did not turn that might be justification for swapping the pulley (?) Did you remove the compressor (?), but if it was turning without any bearing noise and just not functioning properly, I would have left it alone, no harm done. As Sub noted, Bypass pulleys and belts must be the EXACT correct size and EXACT alignment. Messing with the factory configuration with pulleys, etc can get you into more trouble than it is worth.

QUOTE:
I am a young kid in the process of looking for a job and I need to spend as little money as possible.

Well, you are in the realm of shits and giggles now. You should have researched a little more and spent your money on something other than a money pit. I understand the appeal of looks, ride, comfort and prestige in owning one of these gems but practically should be foremost in your mind. Don't misunderstand me, I'm not putting you down with my comments, just trying to let you know what you are in for. Get a good job so you can afford this car. AND, in the meantime, if you persist in keeping this car, post your problems/concerns on this site before you start throwing money at it, we will try to help you. A lot of us old codgers (over 35) have been there/done it and might be able to show you the right way to go. Good luck!

·
Registered
2001 eldorado,2008 DTS,2005 XLR, ','95 eldo,' ,'11CTS-V,'66 corvair.'03 deville,'00 deville
2,102 Posts
I think the pulley that he says won't turn is the crankshaft pulley.

·
Administrator
74,633 Posts
You may be correct, Harry. A "big pulley on the bottom" would be the harmonic balancer which is attached to the crankshaft snout. It turns only when the engine is running\ - and that's the pulley and long serpentine belt that drives everything but the water pump.

·
Administrator
74,633 Posts
If that pulley DID turn with the engine off then you're in BIG trouble. It is TIGHTLY torqued to the crankshaft snout and can not turn unless the engine is running. Even without a belt, start the engine and take a look. 15 seconds will hurt nothing with no belt.

I'd guess that you need to take a local VoTech school course in automotive engines if you don't understand basic engine construction and operation. I'm not being nasty or critical, but basic engine operation is pre-kindergarten in a car forum. We all assume the questioner has a basic knowledge of engine theory.

·
Registered
1999 Eldorado 1983 Seville
191 Posts
Sub and Harry... My Bad, I got lost in the reading of "big pulley". Dyslexia missed the "on the bottom" and you are undoubtedly correct in pointing out that is the crankshaft pulley, and to Botodd, of course no worry that it is not turning. You would have to be the Hulk or Man of Steel to turn it by hand. It only turns when the engine is running as it drives all the accessories connected to it by the belt. How much do you know about car engines?

·
Administrator
74,633 Posts
See pulley #5? That's the harmonic balancer/crankshaft pulley. As just previously posted you, me, he, and The Hulk could not turn it by hand - maybe with a 3 foot breaker bar, but that pulley is TIGHTLY bolted to the crank, pistons, rods, valvetrain - the engine guts. The engine runs, it turns and runs all the accessories. Same way your feet turn the main sprocket on a bicycle and that moves the chain that turns the rear wheel. (BTW - that crank pulley bolt torque + degrees of additional turn is critical for correct oil pump function. Loosen that bolt = no oil pressure - nada, zilch, none.)

Line art Line Auto part Drawing Parallel

1 - 11 of 11 Posts