PZM
b1552
b1971

Current:
PCM
p0741
TCS
c1234

I was told when I bought it that I needed a new right front wheel bearing, and that was all the previous owner knew. I'm assuming history means the issue has been resolved, but I am trying to figure out what the codes all mean, and what I am looking at for issues I need to fix right now. Any help or input would help as I'm not very good mechanically, and I'm a noob here. Also, any input on how to open a stuck shut rear door in this car? Thanks for any and everything guys!!!

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,032 Posts
"went to pull codes" ??? Hope you didn't pay anyone - it's all built into your car already.

Look at the sticky threads at the top of these pages and get to the one titled "How to pull codes". Take your list and use the link that mentions OBD-II codes. Scroll through the various module ID lists to find what's stored in your car's memory.

Very, very, very many discussions on codes, what they mean, when to reset, and tricks posted in here, Northstar Performance, and Technical/Electrical down below.

The PCM P0741 C may have something to do with an engine intake system vacuum leak.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,551 Posts
P0741 is TCC stuck off. It should come up in a search as well as it has been discussed many, many times.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,032 Posts
P0147 vs P0741 = dyslexia. Phooey.

·
Registered
1998 Cadillac Deville
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So when it says history, what does that mean for me? Should i just assume those issues have been taken care of, or are not important any longer? I pulled the codes, and I did look up the info. I'm just overwhelmed, and sort of confused about things. Right now I have the abs and tcs lights staying on my dash. I was told it needs a wheel bearing for the front left, and it is making noise from it, so i assume thats right, but most of the codes are just in succession of eachother, and are each different wheel speed sensor, as well as what ranger said, the TCC stuck off. I just am trying to find where to start, as well as how to fix that damn door...If anyone could shed some way to get into the latch mechanism of the rear door without the door being physically open, that would be great haha. I am 90% sure the wheel bearing is going, but idk what all these codes means, and if i have a logt more work than a wheel bearing needed. Any imput would help! Thanks in advanced!

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,551 Posts
History means that the component has not failed in the last 3 ignition cycles. It gets cleared after 40 or 50 cycles if it does not fail again, so your failures where in the last 50 cycles. I'd clear 'em all and see what returns.

The door is gonna be a problem if the handles do not open it.

·
Registered
1998 Cadillac Deville
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know you will probally think this is a dumb question, and it is probally availa ble somewhere on this site, but i looked at the thread at the top, and cannot figure out for the life of me how to reset my codes. If someone knows how to and could let me know, that would be awesome! Thanks!

·
Registered
1998 Cadillac Deville
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, so updating the situation. I finally figured out how to reset them on my own, and as o now after driving it twice and starting it a few more times, no codes other than the IBC History one appear. I don't know how to clear that one for some reason. But my question is, and i figure this is for Ranger...Is my TCS going to be on now, or is it still stuck off? Also, if the codes I had current above were to return, what would be a feasible reasoning as to what is causing the issue? I know that I was told there was a wheel bearing issue in the front drivers side, but I have yet to hear anything too bad, at most a faint whine that gets faster as i drive faster. Any info would be helpful as I know just about nothing about cars. Thanks!

·
Registered
2004 deville
37 Posts
I could be wrong, but I don't think you'd get a code with a wheel bearing..just a lot of progressively louder noise.

Clearing the codes will not make the TCC clutch go back on..although it may go open up on its own..but then will probably get stuck off again at some point in the near future. Mine did that on & off for about a year until it was permanently stuck off. Never really caused any problems, I didn't even notice a change in my mileage..just more annoying than anything that I had to clear the 'service transmssion" message every time I started the car up.

And I wouldn't worry about the codes too much unless they do come back. if any work has been done on the car and especially if the battery was disconnected, it can make all kids of codes appear. Every now and then with my '96, it would just randomly throw out a code and then it would immediately show up as "history". I just wrote it off as an older car quirk.

·
Registered
2004 deville
37 Posts
From what I understand it's a pretty pricey repair..and not really worth it. Seriously, I drove my car for about 20,000 miles with the TCC acting up..and it's still going...and never, ever had any issues with the transmission

·
Registered
1998 Cadillac Deville
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The abs light was also on before i cleared the codes, does that mean I will also be without abs?

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,551 Posts
OK, lets get on the same frequency here. When you said "i figure this is for Ranger...Is my TCS going to be on now, or is it still stuck off?", Are you talking about TCS (Traction Control System) or TCC (torque Converter Clutch)? As the Wench said ;), it may or may not be on. She IS correct about the repair. Quite pricey, but if you do a search for that code, you'll find that you CAN live with it also as she said. When and if it fails, the code will be reset.

When the ABS light is on, you have no ABS or T/C. A bad wheel bearing MAY cause a DTC, but only if it takes out the sensor. Then you'd get a wheel speed sensor code, but she is right in that you won't get one for a bearing alone. It is not electrical and therefore not monitored.

·
Registered
2004 deville
37 Posts
Oops..I may have overstepped my boundaries. He did specifically address that to you, Ranger, didn't he?

You should listen to Ranger he knows more than I do..but just barely :p
OK, lets get on the same frequency here. When you said "i figure this is for Ranger...Is my TCS going to be on now, or is it still stuck off?"

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,551 Posts
No problem. That wasn't my point. I probably could have left the "i figure this is for Ranger" part out. Just wanted to make sure that we where all talking about the same thing. Everyones comments are welcome.

·
Registered
1998 Cadillac Deville
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My bad. See, I am a noob after all. The code was TCC, not TCS. I can say that the lights on the dash before i cleared them were the ABS and Traction Control lights. Above were all the codes displayed. Mostly wheel speed sensors, and then the TCC stuck off. What I'm trying to figure out is if I really do have a wheel bearing issue or if im making it up in my head because of what I was told. I honestly have no clue about this part of the car. I've never even encountered a sealed hub, so this is all new to me. Also, the whole "this is for Ranger thing" was in reference to all the help you give me and everyone else, no offense or anything to anyone, this is a forum, so anyone can help out! But yeah, im basically still lost, and unsure what to do. Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,551 Posts
I do not believe that you have a bearing problem. You have codes for 3 out of 4 sensors. You can't be THAT unlucky. The one that gets my attention is the EBCM internal malfunction. Now that is a common denominator.

·
Registered
2004 deville
37 Posts
Don't worry...nobody was offended :)

I just stepped in because you reminded me of me when I was new...I think you'd know a wheel bearing issue. When my bearing went..it started as just a tiny little squeak...just like what you described..I ignored it for a long time..a few months I think, until it was a horrible grinding noise. Brakes can squeak, too, though.

·
Registered
1998 Cadillac Deville
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So today while driving, the ABS and Traction control lights came back on. I got home, ran the codes,a nd the TCS history codes returned, and so did the P0741 code. What to do next?

·
Registered
95 sedan deville
113 Posts
I got some traction control disabled thing....I have given up on it...not worth it to me right now...though I would like my cruise back for my vegas and San Diego runs.....

now with the ABS you have a sensor dying out or dead...and currently you have no ABS....so I suddgest working on that first

I dont have this code coming up so I can lead you to a specific area right now...but ranger and wench both seem to have you on a good path.

the TCC is deep in the trans and either you pull the trans and take it in, take it out yourself or drop the engine and trans about a foot to repair it...for a lousy $20 part...a $2000 repair....bleh. I will be doing mine one of these days but not like next weekend or anything...AC is more important to me

1 - 20 of 29 Posts