Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1995 FTS
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A guy over at ummm....."another" forum is doing a 2003 Mustang Cobra engine swap into his 2nd gen Lincoln Mark VIII. I can't wait to see what that thing does once he gets it done.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Just a guess, but I'm going to say..A LOT!!!
Actually, the boy will probably know right off the top of his head but I'd bet somewhere around 100hp or so.

·
Registered
'93 Cadillac 60 Special; '03 Lincoln TownCar Limited ED
5,929 Posts
I can't wait to see what that thing does once he gets it done

I can tell you. It devalues the value of his car by about 75%, not having the original engine in the car. If he trades it in and does NOT announce that fact, he is liable for suit, from the dealer. If the dealer does not pick up on it, and sells it w/out knowing such info, he (this guy) is liable for a double law suit, one from the dealer & one from the next buyer. IF he does announce it, his trade in value will be reduced by 70-75% .... THAT's what the thing does......:thehand:

·
Registered
1995 FTS
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sandy said:
I can tell you. It devalues the value of his car by about 75%, not having the original engine in the car. If he trades it in and does NOT announce that fact, he is liable for suit, from the dealer. If the dealer does not pick up on it, and sells it w/out knowing such info, he (this guy) is liable for a double law suit, one from the dealer & one from the next buyer. IF he does announce it, his trade in value will be reduced by 70-75% .... THAT's what the thing does......:thehand:
Huh? How many times have people done motor swaps to their cars and it makes the car go up in value. His car will be a one of a kind and people will pay lots of money for it. Hell Katshot didn't do many things to his car and he was getting some offers for his car that are more then he bought it for. And technically they aren't different engines since the Mark VIII has the Cobra motor. It just doesn't have the forged internals and blower but thats besides the point

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
The 2003 Cobra motor makes 390hp in the Cobra, would the power change at all in the Mark VIII?

Sandy, No offence, but I dont think this man is planning to do a motor swap, and then trade that car in. If he was to sell it, I'm sure he would do it privately.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Sandy said:
I can certainly attest to the fact that Sandy is right about at least one point. The car WILL be worth less overall due to the customization but considering the age of the car and probable current market value, I doubt that would be a killer. Blackout is also right to a degree. SOMETIMES, custom cars ARE more valuable but the problem is that increased value is usually to a much smaller "niche" group of people.
I AM rather puzzled by Sandy's comments about legal liabilities though. I'd like to know more about that.

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Would be interesting.

I dont think I could live with that though. I like my cars to be as stock as they can be. If i want bigger rims I get the biggest I can that are factory fit. If I want TVs installed I will buy a car that the factory can fit them too.

I dont think an individual can make a car any better without the factory being involved :yup:

(this is wiith VERY few exceptions, one of which being Stoneys sail panel emblems, that looks great)

·
Registered
'93 Cadillac 60 Special; '03 Lincoln TownCar Limited ED
5,929 Posts
Yes, you are correct...IF he sells it to a young guy after extreme performance. In such a case you are correct. However, some young guy after high(ER) performance does not make the market. Just as a young girl looking for a tennis bracelet that is unique - does not make the jewerly and or pecious stones market. The used car market frowns deeply upon engine swaps, and non-matching #s.

Kat, a seller of a car (thusly being the person who is trading it in) by law, has to devulge to the dealer that it's not the OEM engine. The dealer in turn must make this info known to any retail buyer of this car. IF he wholesales it out to a wholesaler, he does not have to, but it's the right thing to do.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
I understand what you mean but I think that in today's market you'd be kidding yourself if you expected every car that's had a replacement engine, new or used to be documented. I can even see it being a law on the books in some places but I seriously doubt that it's very often inforced. Sounds more like one of those BS laws they like to be able to hit dealers with when they are trying to pile charges on them after a bust. Somehow I doubt that if I buy a car from a dealer or private seller and can prove that the engine was replaced at some point and that the guy I bought it from didn't tell me, that I'd have any luck bringing charges against him for it.

·
Registered
'87 Jeep, '10 Thruxton, '00 Duc 748, '01 748R (853cc)
3,703 Posts
Hmmm...'03 Cobra engine into a Mark VIII = Bad Ass.

That thing should be quite fast once completed.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Sandy, I highly doubt that car will be traded in after that amount of money is invested to modify it. Cars like that usually sell well on specialty forums or eBay.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
The BIG question has got to be; is he using the Cobra's manual trans or the MKVIII's auto trans? That will make a huge difference in the performance since that engine HATES automatics. It bogs like a bitch at low rpms.

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Katshot said:
The BIG question has got to be; is he using the Cobra's manual trans or the MKVIII's auto trans? That will make a huge difference in the performance since that engine HATES automatics. It bogs like a bitch at low rpms.
If I was doing it id use the manual

An engine liek that needs a manual i reckon

·
Registered
'98 Buick Regal LS - '91 Caddy Seville - '87 Caddy Seville!
4,425 Posts
I have an '87 Seville with a 4.5 liter swap that I eventually plan to sell, and I would not sell a car that old to any dealer...Hell, the last time I was looking for a car (before I purchased my '91), a dealer offered me $500.00 trade-in for a near-mint condidtion Cadillac (the '87) while I was looking at an '95 Eldorado...

Now if I'm going to sell the car, it will be sold as-is and I plan to get much more than $500.00 for her. Hell, you'd be surprised what kind of market is looking for a Cadillac with a slightly customized engine that has looks to kill. I'll post a picture of the engine later on...Maybe tomorrow.

As for the Mark VIII, I too want to see some pictures of a Lincoln with a blower on it: that thing will look sa-weet!

·
Registered
34,087 Posts

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Katshot said:
There was actually a FACTORY supercharged MKVII. Did you know that?

I've seen that too, theres only a handful of them around though.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts