Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright here is my problem, I can't see the Light.. on the dash that is. I have a 78 coupe deville and i finally dropped a rebuilt 500ci and a used tranny, so now I'm in business. Now my problem #1 is that the dash lights will not come on and I have no Idea what to do. the fuse works. what should i check next? #2 my radio. it keeps blowing my fuses. i tied both the constant power and the ignition power to the 12v from the battery and my interior lights stay on? by the way, the radio i have is an aftermarket that was put in by the previous owner who cut up the dash and took out the 8- track player :mad: any suggestions. sorry if the question is confusing.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
rnunez76 said:
alright here is my problem, I can't see the Light.. on the dash that is. I have a 78 coupe deville and i finally dropped a rebuilt 500ci and a used tranny, so now I'm in business. Now my problem #1 is that the dash lights will not come on and I have no Idea what to do. the fuse works. what should i check next? #2 my radio. it keeps blowing my fuses. i tied both the constant power and the ignition power to the 12v from the battery and my interior lights stay on? by the way, the radio i have is an aftermarket that was put in by the previous owner who cut up the dash and took out the 8- track player :mad: any suggestions. sorry if the question is confusing.
Well i am going to try an answer this one but you are right this is confusing.

Dash lights - take apart the dash and replace the bulbs, check power to the bulbs

Radio - Is the right fuse in the radio?? that is all i have on that one.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
JJhomer83 said:
Well i am going to try an answer this one but you are right this is confusing.

Dash lights - take apart the dash and replace the bulbs, check power to the bulbs

Radio - Is the right fuse in the radio?? that is all i have on that one.

radio uses a 7.5 amp fuse, and that is on already. now the fuse only burns when the ignition is turn on. :confused:

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
As I would expect it to. If i remember correctly, the radio fuse in most cars is hot with ignition on, while the battery fuse is off the body or something like that. Take the radio out and just look at how the wires were spliced. For some reason, I see alot of people "installing" raidos by twisting the wires together, and putting electrical tape over it. If this is the case, the electrical tape probably fell off by now and is shorting out. With what you said about the interior lights staying on reinforces the body fuse guess, and also leads me to believe that the previous owner made a splice somewhere he shouldn't have. I would recommend a wiring diagram and see if you can piece together what he did.

With the dash lights, it could be that radio install haunting you still, or something common on a lot of older cars is the dimmer gets corroded. I assume the parking lights work, and they get power from the same place (headlights are different). If you do get a wiring diagram, see if you can figure out which pin in the headlight switch is the dimmer. If you can get an ohmmeter, turn the dimmer all the way up (where it would be full bright) and the resistance value should be very low. If it is not and you don't mind the dash lights being on full bright all of the time splice the dash feed off of the dimmer into the parking light wire.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DaveSmed said:
As I would expect it to. If i remember correctly, the radio fuse in most cars is hot with ignition on, while the battery fuse is off the body or something like that. Take the radio out and just look at how the wires were spliced. For some reason, I see alot of people "installing" raidos by twisting the wires together, and putting electrical tape over it. If this is the case, the electrical tape probably fell off by now and is shorting out. With what you said about the interior lights staying on reinforces the body fuse guess, and also leads me to believe that the previous owner made a splice somewhere he shouldn't have. I would recommend a wiring diagram and see if you can piece together what he did.

With the dash lights, it could be that radio install haunting you still, or something common on a lot of older cars is the dimmer gets corroded. I assume the parking lights work, and they get power from the same place (headlights are different). If you do get a wiring diagram, see if you can figure out which pin in the headlight switch is the dimmer. If you can get an ohmmeter, turn the dimmer all the way up (where it would be full bright) and the resistance value should be very low. If it is not and you don't mind the dash lights being on full bright all of the time splice the dash feed off of the dimmer into the parking light wire.
Thanx for the advice! :worship: I have a chilton so I will look at it in the morning and make try to fix it this weekend! :banana:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
3 Participants
rnunez76