Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of us have dumped the 80 lb dual-mass flywheel assembly for lighter alternatives. Katech and TPIS offer stock Chevrolet ZO6 assemblies with proprietary spacers. These products can be further upgraded to aluminum flywheels, if desired. Lingenfelter goes with an aluminum flywheel mated to the heavy stock clutch.
This is a modification with no downsides. It is very stealthy, in fact it isn't detectable from outside the car.
For those of you on the fence, read the February issue of Popular Hot Rodding. David Vizard, one of the all-time motor gurus, writes extensively on the benefits of lightening reprorcating mass.

·
Registered
'05 CTS-V (sold)
1,473 Posts
Rey said:
Some of us have dumped the 80 lb dual-mass flywheel assembly for lighter alternatives. Katech and TPIS offer stock Chevrolet ZO6 assemblies with proprietary spacers. These products can be further upgraded to aluminum flywheels, if desired. Lingenfelter goes with an aluminum flywheel mated to the heavy stock clutch.
This is a modification with no downsides. It is very stealthy, in fact it isn't detectable from outside the car.
For those of you on the fence, read the February issue of Popular Hot Rodding. David Vizard, one of the all-time motor gurus, writes extensively on the benefits of lightening reprorcating mass.
We should do a Seattle/Portland meet sometime this spring. I'd love to see how much faster an aluminum flywheel revs up than the stock one. 'Blipping' the throttle in my car to rev-match seems to take quite a bit of time.

·
Registered
2009 Z06 / 2013 F150 EcoBeast / 2008 Twin-Turbo Bimmer
4,860 Posts
A lighter flywheel will make it slightly more difficult to get the car going from a stop. Another plus or minus, depending on the viewpoint of trackworthy or fuel economy, the revs will drop faster when one lets off the throttle. The electronically lightened way in the calibration provides the more quick rev drops.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Suggest that anyone who is interested read the article. I think you will find most of your questions answered. In particular, Vizard does an A/B test to determine if a lightened flywheel really helps quarter mile racing, and concludes that it does. He also analyizes merits of light driveshafts and wheels.
As for a Seattle/Portland meet, count me in.
As for downsides to this modification in our Caddys, there are none I can find. It still starts easily in first. In fact, I often start in second on level ground. The clutch pedal is lighter. It shifts easier. Mostly, it feels like a 30 rwhp increase. The car feels 500 lb lighter. With the TPIS kit that I have, you have the Cheverolet oem ZO6 flywheel assembly - an assembly that was in production for several years before the first CTS-V.

·
Registered
04CTSVsc
854 Posts
I really like my Exedy clutch/flywheel, from what I can tell. Car feels more responsive when revving and going thru the gears. Hard for me to tell since I had a Maggie, tune, clutch/fly, slave cylinder, pinion support, new rear and UUC shifter all done at once (probably a few things I'm leaving out). One thing I know is that the car is exactly the way I want it now, that is, until it's time for the '06 rear and half-shafts.... :thepan: I am really curious about an aluminum single piece driveshaft though--has there been any progress made with that place in Cali? Lasstss?

ew

·
Registered
none
864 Posts
I really can't imagine any more power race wise in a 1-2 shift. I'm already skipping along and getting sideways from the mods I have now. Imagine a 1-2shift at redline with a lighter flywheel. The car will probably spin most of 2nd gear with no traction. I'll have start in 2nd gear...
What are you guys doing for traction issues with Maggies?

Now running on the highway, that's a different story. The car already pulls effortlessly, even in 5th.
By the way Rick, what kind of tune is in that PCM you sent me. I don't smell fuel like I did when mine was hooked up.You should be recieving mine any day. It was shipped out Thursday.

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V
288 Posts
Re: Lightened flywheels effects . . .

Well, if the stock dual mass really weighs eighty pounds there probably is significant RWHP gains to be had by going lighter as it actually reduces the amount of HP "lost" in the drivetrain. It is also real stealthy, but probably fairly noticible on a test drive (wonder if this could cause diff warranty issues, although it sounds like we could have those even without the mods).

Anyway - I put one on a heavily modified eagle talon I used to own (abuse me if you must, but it was great fun in the snow) and the car felt like it gained significant grunt especially noticible at the low end (before the big turbo spooled up). As to the added launch difficulty thing - in the talon I do not think it really made it significantly more difficult but did cause some occassional clutch "chatter" (mostly at cold temperatures).

Thinking seriously about this for the V, but as my only current mod is a UUC, maybe exhaust (or intake) should be next; or maybe I should just wait until my first diff goes bad before doing anything else just in case . . . (not to jack the thread, but some advice on what to do next or not would be appreciated).

·
Registered
'04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V, '13ZL1, '12 V, '16 Z06 SC757
6,440 Posts

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Actually a heavy flywheel is not necessarilly a bad thing. 'An object in motion tends to stay in motion'. You will loose more rpm between shifts with a light wheel. Yes it will rev faster. When the flywheel is lightened it provides much faster acceleration of the engine. The stock flywheel weight takes more HP to get moving. So, why did GM make it so heavy? The job of the flywheel is to smooth out firing pulses, stop vibration harmonics, and torsional twist. The most economical way for the factory to do this was to make the flywheel the weight it is stock. We have a lot of torque so its not a real issue. An aluminum wheel may cause some stalling problems and require higher revs to get moving. Might effect smoothness on take of with a heavy car. More if the impact of a hard shift is transmitted to the crank with a light wheel. We have to go middle of the road on lightness. IMO

·
Registered
04CTSVsc
854 Posts
Yeah, someone just learning to drive a manual trans. may have a bit of trouble starting off in my car, and as Will said, it's a challenge to keep from spinning thru second and part of third gears--I think most of that is just the torque from the Maggie. Better to spin the wheels than the half shafts or the diff case though:bonkers:. Personally, I'll wait to get a more solid diff (still have 05 version) before I worry too much about traction--I guess our goal is to make the U joints the weak part of the drivetrain, eventually, right?

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
Personally, I agree with the middle of the road philosophy. I personally would like a lighter flywheel for the obvious driveline loss change. However, I don't want to lose the civility the V drives with right now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts