Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Cadillac XT5 Premium Luxury Crystal White
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have a 2017 XT5 premium luxury and when I hit the unlock button on the door handle no outside lights illuminate just the inside. When I hit the unlock button on the fob all of the outside lights including the handles illuminated as well as the inside. Is this correct? I had a 2020 loaner, and when I hit the button and the door handles all of the outside lights illuminated. Is this an upgrade for 2020 or is mine broken for 17

·
Registered
2020 XT5, AWD Platinum, Garnet Metallic, 20" Ultra-Bright
2,107 Posts
My 2017 Platinum handle lights operate the same as you describe. I am glad to hear the 2020's illuminate the lights more frequently.

Perhaps the engineer programming the 2017 handle lights felt the lights are not needed when pressing the button on the door handle because you have already found the handle. Illuminating all of the handles helps passengers find their way.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My 2017 Platinum handle lights operate the same as you describe. I am glad to hear the 2020's illuminate the lights more frequently.

Perhaps the engineer programming the 2017 handle lights felt the lights are not needed when pressing the button on the door handle because you have already found the handle. Illuminating all of the handles helps passengers find their way.
So basically when you push the handle button to unlock your doors you get no exterior light (handles tail light etc) but if you use the fob you get them all am I correct?
the 2020 as soon as you touch the handle button everything lights up I thought mine were broke.

·
Registered
2020 XT5, AWD Platinum, Garnet Metallic, 20" Ultra-Bright
2,107 Posts
You are correct, that is the way mine operates as well. The buttons on the doors do not illuminate any lights, locking or unlocking, interior or exterior. The FOB, on the other hand, illuminates all lights. Again, I am glad the 2020's react to the door handle buttons by illuminating all. Seems the 2017's are short changing us by not illuminating the lights we paid for.

·
Registered
2019 XT5 PL AWD
54 Posts
We were very happy to have picked up a 2019 PL recently. When I saw this thread I had to check ours...the door handle button lights all the lights you guys mentioned.
I was very happy to see that, what an attractive feature!

·
Registered
2017 XT5
1,022 Posts
This makes me curious about another feature that only worked via the fob buttons on older models. If you set your mirrors to auto-fold, do they fold in when locking via the keyless button on the door handle on the MY2020?

·
Registered
2019 PLT. XT-5 Crystal White Tricoat & Maple Sugar/Black
30 Posts
Hi I have a 2017 XT5 premium luxury and when I hit the unlock button on the door handle no outside lights illuminate just the inside. When I hit the unlock button on the fob all of the outside lights including the handles illuminated as well as the inside. Is this correct? I had a 2020 loaner, and when I hit the button and the door handles all of the outside lights illuminated. Is this an upgrade for 2020 or is mine broken for 17
I have an early 2019 PLT that was built and delivered to the dealership in July of 2018. With the fob in my pocket, when I press the front passenger door all outside lighting comes on: Handles, Running lights on front and rear, and the center rear bright backup light. All interior lighting stays dark and so black you can't see in. When I press the fob unlock button all LED lighting, inside and outside comes on.

So, I left the fob in the house and went back into my attached garage to try something. About a 25' straight line distance from door handle to fob so there is no interaction between the two. When I pressed the handle button while locked with the handle button or the fob, all the inside and outside lighting remains dark, BUT, the icons around the computer screen and the emergency blinker lights' red icon come on, the computer screen faintly comes on and remains black and empty, and the lower buttons on the A/C controls just below the computer screen light up, all at the same time. None of the interior lighting comes on, so the whole interior remains dark. About 20 seconds pass, those icons, the soft backlighting of the black and blank screen, and A/C lights turn off.

If the vehicle was parked on the street or in a mall parking lot, a stranger would have enough glowing lighting to see that the XT5 has a computer/navagation system.... Any ideas why the engineers would have planned it that way?

·
Registered
2017 XT5
1,022 Posts
That happens because those components are programmed to react like that when a CAN bus wake-up signal is received. Most of the electronic devices in your car are connected to a network called the CAN bus. It works just like a wired computer Ethernet network where all the devices can communicate with each other. Most of them are p powered all the time, but "go to sleep" when the car is shut off. Certain things will cause a wake-up signal to be broadcast, such as unlocking the car, or even attempting to unlock it without the key. Waking up components on the dash is fairly common in most cars.

As for worrying that the thief might see that you have a touch-screen NAV radio in the car, since all XT5's come that way, they don't need any cabin lighting to know that. And since that system is only usable in another XT5, it's not like the "good old days" where thieves would smash a window and rip the radio from the dash.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recently purchased a 2019 XT5 PL AWD and the door handles lights don't illuminate when I unlock the vehicle with the key fob or the door buttons. Am I doing it wrong or is it broken?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I recently purchased a 2019 XT5 PL AWD and the door handles lights don't illuminate when I unlock the vehicle with the key fob or the door buttons. Am I doing it wrong or is it broken?
Hi
I know mine lights when I hit unlock on the fob but not the button but mine is a 17

·
Registered
2019 PLT. XT-5 Crystal White Tricoat & Maple Sugar/Black
30 Posts
I just checked the lighted door handles on the Plt. 2019 bought last June. With the doors locked by the Fob since this afternoon, with the FOB in my pocket, I pushed the front passenger door latch's button and all door handles light up.

With some PLT. trim lighting the door handles and some not lighting the door handles, I'm wondering something. Since mine sat in a dark garage as I unlocked the doors with the latch button, I wonder if the other owners' lighted latches would work if their vehicle is in the dark?

Just a thought.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just checked the lighted door handles on the Plt. 2019 bought last June. With the doors locked by the Fob since this afternoon, with the FOB in my pocket, I pushed the front passenger door latch's button and all door handles light up.

With some PLT. trim lighting the door handles and some not lighting the door handles, I'm wondering something. Since mine sat in a dark garage as I unlocked the doors with the latch button, I wonder if the other owners' lighted latches would work if their vehicle is in the dark?

Just a thought.
Good point- it’s a white light so I couldn’t even say if it works in daylight. Maybe it works with twilight sensor?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.