Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any experience you can share with a wax/polymer/etc....that will take out small scratches? Ran into some flying retread on i285 in ATL.....

Luckily no dents and even the scratches are light..

The two products I have tried shine like hell but don't take out the scratch.....

Just curious what people like on a high quality, high gloss paint/clear coat....
Black is beautiful but you have to be so careful I want some advice.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
2006 CTS V & 1993 Eldorado
173 Posts
You'll probably want to get something with the word "compound" in it. You have to remove some clearcoat to get rid of the scratches and that requires something a little abrasive/gritty. Also, might try using high speed polisher/buffer depending on location of the scratches.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I don't know that you have to remove some clearcoat, although the polishing process will remove a little bit. Try a protal cable orbital system. Where are you located? There might be somebody close by willing to lend a hand.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Suwanee GA which is about 25 miles north of ATL.....

I saw new finish has a scratch remover....most on the board thought that was junk......this scratch looks like it's only on the clear coat, not the paint.....

you have to be at a certain light angle.....I saw something on the DIY channel about wet sanding with 4000 grit and then a polish....i have some rubbing compound which I have always used....just was not sure about the clear coat...

·
Registered
438 Posts
Don't use rubbing compound and don't sand it unless you have to. A small scratch shouldn't require it. You could try a hand held scratch remover. I use Griot's stuff, but 3M, Zaino, P21s, and everybody else makes scratch removers. It is a polish and will remove some of your finish, but it will soften the edges of the scratch so you can't see it. If it is really shallow, it will remove it entirely. Most people that try the 3M version swear by it.

If that doesn't work, try and find someone local that has a porter cable and will help out. Using an orbital polisher shouldn't hurt your paint even if you don't know what you are doing, as long as you use the right polishing products.

·
Registered
05CTS V
195 Posts
Two weeks ago i used 3M perfect-it rubbing compound. I have a Raven Black V. It is excellent. A high end paint shop in the area recommended it. Do not use anything but elbow grease. A clean fiber cloth is excellent for rubbing. Do not rub while dry or you will build swirl marks on the border of the rubbing area. To polish the paste off I was told to use large swabs of cotton; hospital cotton rolls( you need a hand full). levineautoparts.com has the 3M products. 3M also carries polishing compounds. I had tried all the other products to no avail. Stay away from Orbitals. You will add to your problems.

·
Registered
CTS
1,485 Posts
Im not real good at this, but you may have some luck. Take a small paint brush and build up some clear coat in the scratch so that it is higher than the surrounding clearcoat, then wet sand the higher clear coat level to the rest of the original clearcoat and the scratch is gone.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks All.....I think I'll try some of the easy stuff first (3m) and graduate to the clear coat if need be.....

Anyone have any experience with

I dig their other products......

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you try autopia.org they have a great forum to discuss detailing. I personally use the Menzerna IP and FP polishes to take out scratches with my Porter Cable 7424. It works great and the polisher and polish do all of the work.:thumbsup:

Good Luck!

·
crushing Vs with my Wurm
2013 GT500 - 700+ HP
12,266 Posts
For normal scratches I use a dollop of P21S Multi Surface cleaner and 3M Imperial Hand Glaze as the 'vehicle' for it. By itself the P21 stuff is pretty aggressive but tempering with the 3M glaze makes it work very, very well on most any scratch. If you got 'keyed' or something to that effect, then you need to see a body guy, but normal everyday scratches above and beyond 'swirl' marks, then try the above formula.

Florian

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
Art138 said:
Two weeks ago i used 3M perfect-it rubbing compound. I have a Raven Black V. It is excellent. A high end paint shop in the area recommended it. Do not use anything but elbow grease. A clean fiber cloth is excellent for rubbing. Do not rub while dry or you will build swirl marks on the border of the rubbing area. To polish the paste off I was told to use large swabs of cotton; hospital cotton rolls( you need a hand full). levineautoparts.com has the 3M products. 3M also carries polishing compounds. I had tried all the other products to no avail. Stay away from Orbitals. You will add to your problems.
I knew very little before I got edumacated through Griot's Garage booklets and detailing tips. With their products and the Porter Cable random orbital I bought at Lowe's, I've never had a problem and I'm alway using it on my Town Car. The V has seen the orbital a few times as well for light polishing and waxing. The car, sans wheels, is flawless.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
without seeing it it's tought to diagnose......but I always start with the least abrasive solutions and work my way up from there.

1) Cleaner wax (which is wax with some light polishing compound mixed in)

2) if that doesn't work try one of the "scratch removers mentioned above

3) my dad bought some of that "color-matched" wax; I always thought it was crap but it did help hide some deeper scratches in his dark charcoal mazda(not perfectly, though).

4) if the above fails, you could try some of the white (light) polishing compound. I would stay away from the orange rubbing compound unless you are prepared to go to a pro if you screw it up.

(the above assume that you are really dealing with a scratch, and not some rubber stuck on your paint from the flying tire treads. If unsure, you may want to try some bug and tar remover or other (paint-safe) cleaning fluid first.

Doug

1 - 13 of 13 Posts