Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2005 CTS/ 2008 DTS/ 2008 STS V8 N*/ 2011 CTS4 ALL W/D Pearl
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help. One of my turning light bulbs is on and stays on even with the car shut off:confused:

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No thoughts guys?

The bulb burnt out after about 1 1/2 and I replaced it. The light has not come on and stayed on since but I have not driven with the head lights on (which is the only time the cornering lights work anyway) yet I haven't had to drive at night yet.

I do not want to just turn my lights on and make a few turns to see if the new bulb works or stays on all the time after shut off. I'm chicken at this point having no idea why it did so in the first place so until it happens naturally I'm in the dark.

·
Registered
18 XTS Luxury AWD, 06 SRX V6-AWD *** Gone - 08 DTS LuxIII, 87 Brougham d'Elegance
494 Posts
Are you saying that it's the cornering lamp that stays on ... or the turn signal lamp?

I've had an issue with my DTS where the left cornering lamp will not go off after completing a left-hand turn, but I will do a lane-change signal (where it flashes 3 times with the "bump" of the turn signal lever), and then the light will go out.

You can try to "reboot" the electrical system (if you haven't already done so). This will often resolve some of the little electrical issues. You might try it to see if that helps. I haven't had the problem since I've done this (I did it for another electrical issue, but ... happy accident ... cornering lamp is behaving (at least for the moment).

Quoted from SuperJim (as always, thanks to him for these instructions):

There is a way to REBOOT all of the electronic modules in the entire car.
Sometimes (lots of times) that will fix random electrical gremlins.

Remove BOTH battery cables... negative cable FIRST...
Touch both cables together for 5 seconds or so, making sure they have good contact with each other.
This will drain all the capacitors in the system.

While you have the cables off... undo the one bolted to the floor.
Take a little piece of sandpaper and sand the paint away from the attachment point.
It will then have a better ground.

Re-attach the battery cables... negative cable LAST...
You will have to do the window EXPRESS UP learn again and you MAY have to do the memory seat settings again.
Sometimes they will forget the seat settings and sometimes they don't.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are you saying that it's the cornering lamp that stays on ... or the turn signal lamp?

I've had an issue with my DTS where the left cornering lamp will not go off after completing a left-hand turn, but I will do a lane-change signal (where it flashes 3 times with the "bump" of the turn signal lever), and then the light will go out.

You can try to "reboot" the electrical system (if you haven't already done so). This will often resolve some of the little electrical issues. You might try it to see if that helps. I haven't had the problem since I've done this (I did it for another electrical issue, but ... happy accident ... cornering lamp is behaving (at least for the moment).

Quoted from SuperJim (as always, thanks to him for these instructions):

There is a way to REBOOT all of the electronic modules in the entire car.
Sometimes (lots of times) that will fix random electrical gremlins.

Remove BOTH battery cables... negative cable FIRST...
Touch both cables together for 5 seconds or so, making sure they have good contact with each other.
This will drain all the capacitors in the system.

While you have the cables off... undo the one bolted to the floor.
Take a little piece of sandpaper and sand the paint away from the attachment point.
It will then have a better ground.

Re-attach the battery cables... negative cable LAST...
You will have to do the window EXPRESS UP learn again and you MAY have to do the memory seat settings again.
Sometimes they will forget the seat settings and sometimes they don't.

Thank you.

Yes it was only the cornering bulb not the fog light bulb or any other. The funny part was it stayed on for a good hour or more with the car shut off.

I have read Jims how to many times and have never done this but will do it as a last resort if it reapers.

I will be driving this evening when it will be dark and I will see if the cornering light works properly and goes off when I shut the car off and report back tomorrow.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The lights all worked fine last night.

I have no idea why it stayed on after turning the car off before. I also don't know if it shut off on its own after an 1 1/2 or the bulb burnt out. The bulb does not look burnt out but there is no way I'm putting that one back in to see if it was the problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts