Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Escalade ESV
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been searching the net and found this site. I apologize if this question has been asked/answered. I can't find anything yet...

My 2010 Escalade's liftgate has opened up several times mysteriously. I will walk outside and find it open. I entered my daughter's school and someone came in to tell me my car was wide open. I was at a restaurant and they called over the speaker for the owner of an Escalade b/c the hatch was open. I thought someone tried to break in. The doors were all locked and it was sitting in the parking lot with the hatch up. I am not a huge fan of the new fob (I've had GM cars for a while - traded in an 07 Denali for this one). The new fob is too sensitive for purses and pockets IMO. I've been really careful since figured I was tossing the keys in my purse and opening the hatch without realizing it.

Sat night, my husband and I went to Best Buy. Came out of the store to find the hatch wide open and the cargo area LOADED with our stuff. Thankfully no one took anything. My husband drove and had the keys. All doors were locked.

VERY SCARY!

We closed the hatch and locked the doors. The fob will allow you to open the liftgate without unlocking the doors so I guess it still could have been an issue of hitting the lift button on the fob, but it's doubtful. If that's the case, it really shouldn't be that sensitive, should it? Anyone else? Can you open your liftgate without unlocking doors? Anyone have their liftgate open on its own?

·
Registered
Porsche Cayenne Diesel, Porsche 997 Carrera S, VW Passat SE
595 Posts
Wow!
Have you taken it into to service?
Seem unacceptable to me.

·
Registered
Porsche Cayenne Diesel, Porsche 997 Carrera S, VW Passat SE
595 Posts
Wow!
Have you taken it into to service?
Seem unacceptable to me.

·
Registered
Esclade EXT
143 Posts
Are you bumping the button with the FOB? you mention unlikely but I am sure that is the first question the dealer is going to ask.

·
Registered
993 Posts
I would say the button is getting pressed. And yes, the lift gate opens and leaves the doors locked. You can try keeping your keys somewhere where the button cannot get pressed, and see if it does it again. If it does, bring it into the dealership.

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
Sounds like the button on the fob is getting pressed. If the dealer can't find anything wrong you have two options... trade with me for the old style remotes ( :D ), or you can disable the electronic liftgate remote access ENTIRELY by pressing the "o" on the liftgate button all the way in on the overhead console where the lights are. This disables remote control of the liftgate. In fact, I'd start with this and see if you find it open again.

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
This is a known issue that can happen with the fob in your pocket, it did not happen with the older style round fob, it's just the newer style fob, very light button pressure is required, I have several customers that the hatch was opening and closing while banging off thier garage door inside their garage, and several have came out to find their hatch open. An easy fix it to turn the hatch switch to the off position on the overhead console, the down side is you have to move the switch on the overhead console to open the hatch, a bit of a pain, but it will not open by accident if you do this. :)

·
Registered
2010 Escalade ESV
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
UPDATE - I called my dealer. The person I spoke with had never heard of such a thing, but agreed to talk to the service department. He called me back and said they had dealt with it before. They replaced the liftgate module.

Regarding pressing the fob - the first time I thought it might have been possible, but it contined to happen when parked with no keys in pockets or purses, etc. Just a haunted liftgate!

Diane

·
Registered
2011 Escalade ESV
13 Posts
Mine opened itself while I was at work. I just thought I pushed the fob button by mistake. My stuff was out there for all to see. Some cheese doodles, some gloves, a nice bottle of scotch, my trailer hitch, etc. It was really weird to find it open and nothing stolen. Car was locked, too. Maybe I'll just push the no open button for now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts