Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
2015 Escalade
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To recap, purchased the car at 55k miles dec 2021. Purchased a Range AFM disable immediately and ran it for a solid year until I was hit with the dreaded AFM failure. All lifters and camshaft replaced.

car is back now, with a 2 year warranty on AFM.Not planning on keeping it for very long, maybe another year. Should I even bother with the AFM disable? Or just leave it as is and let nature take its course

· Registered
99 ETC 13 XTS 69 Chevelle 17 Yukon
1,161 Posts
To recap, purchased the car at 55k miles dec 2021. Purchased a Range AFM disable immediately and ran it for a solid year until I was hit with the dreaded AFM failure. All lifters and camshaft replaced.

car is back now, with a 2 year warranty on AFM.Not planning on keeping it for very long, maybe another year. Should I even bother with the AFM disable? Or just leave it as is and let nature take its course
I myself would leave it off you have two-year warranty plus want to make sure everything is working correct. On repair order did they replace oil manifold they have a new part number out for replacement.

· Premium Member
2008 Escalade Sport, 2018 Escalade Luxury & 2018 Camry Hybrid XLE
2,869 Posts
Leave it. I had my lifters fail at 79k on the passenger side but I didn’t get the check engine code so I was lucky that I only had the tick. I also have a 2 year unlimited. I might keep the truck for 1 year 11 months then get rid of it.

· Registered
2015i Cadillac Escalade Luxury
53 Posts
I can’t believe he is considering it after what he went through with the Range.
Do you believe the Range caused his problem? For me (I use a Range) if nothing else maybe some piece of mind that I done something to get miles out of a known problem. Reading various forums it’s sounds to me regardless what you do the lifter failure will occur on the 6.2 engine with AFM. The question is what’s the best answer for extending the life before having to do the major repair. I’m open for any ideas.

· Registered
2015i Escalade ESV Premium
364 Posts
Do you believe the Range caused his problem? For me (I use a Range) if nothing else maybe some piece of mind that I done something to get miles out of a known problem. Reading various forums it’s sounds to me regardless what you do the lifter failure will occur on the 6.2 engine with AFM. The question is what’s the best answer for extending the life before having to do the major repair. I’m open for any ideas.
Agree- the Range likely had nothing to do with the lifter failure. It's a poor GM design issue that clearly has not been addressed for the new '21-newer Escalades.

· Registered
2015 Escalade
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don’t know if the Range caused the issue.
I’m not near my truck to see the parts, had to leave for work travel.

i wanted sell my truck soonish, as I no longer need it for the purpose it served, but I just did that service + new tires, brakes, battery….$10k in work. Doesn’t make sense to sell, I’ll get screwed on it

· Premium Member
2,869 Posts
The price of the new Escalade is insane and not affordable anymore. The range stops the litters from working so I would leave it out.

· Registered
304 Posts
The price of the new Escalade is insane and not affordable anymore. The range stops the litters from working so I would leave it out.
While prices have jumped, I would say the new Escalade is still affordable and in line with the rest of the market. There is no way GM could sell the Escalade at the prices of old with how expensive things are in the world today. Even the "bargain luxury" Genesis brand has significantly increased their prices and all things considered the Escalade is still a bargain when compared to the Euro offerings. Range Rovers that compete in size with the Escalade start over $100k. The BMW X7 and Mercedes GLS while big, doesn't offer the same interior space as the Escalade and once you throw in the options, far exceeds what Caddy priced their vehicle at.

The closest competition in size and price are the Jeep Wagoneer which is a beautiful crafted vehicle, but needs to prove itself with build quality and reliability based on the Chrysler track record. Then there's the Lincoln Navigator which was a huge step up when first introduced, but for me the design has grown old. They have plans to refresh it for 2024, but GM is already working on the Escalade refresh to stay aligned and not be beat.

· Registered
99 ETC 13 XTS 69 Chevelle 17 Yukon
1,161 Posts
While prices have jumped, I would say the new Escalade is still affordable and in line with the rest of the market. There is no way GM could sell the Escalade at the prices of old with how expensive things are in the world today. Even the "bargain luxury" Genesis brand has significantly increased their prices and all things considered the Escalade is still a bargain when compared to the Euro offerings. Range Rovers that compete in size with the Escalade start over $100k. The BMW X7 and Mercedes GLS while big, doesn't offer the same interior space as the Escalade and once you throw in the options, far exceeds what Caddy priced their vehicle at.

The closest competition in size and price are the Jeep Wagoneer which is a beautiful crafted vehicle, but needs to prove itself with build quality and reliability based on the Chrysler track record. Then there's the Lincoln Navigator which was a huge step up when first introduced, but for me the design has grown old. They have plans to refresh it for 2024, but GM is already working on the Escalade refresh to stay aligned and not be beat.
This is all fine as long as value would reflect in trade-in, resale price three, four years out. OH, and escalades are over 100K.

· 2009 Escalade
1,703 Posts
Wouldn’t a private party sale listing an Escalade with a new dealer installed motor, a warranty guaranteeing it, as well as having a range disabler installed on day 1 be a unicorn someone would be willing to pay dearly for?

Hell, I would jump on that sale. It it has the 10SP trans for mileage and performance and the new IRS in back. Knowing the Achilles heel, the AFM, was shut off when the motor was installed is a huge selling feature to cash in on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

· Registered
2015 Escalade
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wouldn’t a private party sale listing an Escalade with a new dealer installed motor, a warranty guaranteeing it, as well as having a range disabler installed on day 1 be a unicorn someone would be willing to pay dearly for?

Hell, I would jump on that sale. It it has the 10SP trans for mileage and performance and the new IRS in back. Knowing the Achilles heel, the AFM, was shut off when the motor was installed is a huge selling feature to cash in on.

mine doesnt have the 10SP.....but....wanna make an offer? :)

· Premium Member
2,869 Posts

It is about the miles more than anything.

· Registered
2015 Escalade
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ha! I saw you purchased it in 21 but failed to notice it had 55k miles. So it’s a 2015 with the 6SP. Another hard to find truck immune to the woes of the 8SP.

i have the 8SP....and had the known vibration issues. thankfully that was immediately resolved with a flush.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts