Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents,

I replaced my rear OEM bearings (both sides) last year January 2016, as they were making noise and popping traction codes at 120K miles. Just this April at about 140K miles, the bearing on the rear drivers side essentially failed, with the back of it separating, and the rotating assembly becoming off-balance. This resulted in the wheel essentially vibrating as it would track in and out rapidly on drive. Sort of resembled loose lug nuts, until we pulled everything apart, and noticed the bearing was toast. Luckily, I have a 3 year warranty on the part. Thank you Advanced Auto! haha http://www.moog-suspension-parts.com/moog-512243

I recognize this is probably my own fault for cheaping out with aftermarket... LOL. The bearing probably isn't designed for the weight of this vehicle or some junk like that.

Question: Has anyone experienced something similar with Moog bearings? Bearings should last more than 1 year 3 months and/or 20K miles!

Thanks for any feedback.

-Brian

·
Registered
653 Posts
I'm curious if you know where this Moog was manufactured?

(Here's a little inside scoop on wheel bearings....I used to spec these for trucks 40 yrs ago...a wheel bearing is pretty big for the job...because the SPINDLE has to be a certain diameter to take the loads without failing...and the bearing has to fit over the spindle. The quality of bearings today has to be pretty shabby, because in the old days, a wheel bearing failure was very rare assuming they were assembled with proper endplay.)

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Moog parts are usually very reliable. But yes, it is a good idea to avoid parts made in China. Having gone through the same routine, I went through about 6 bearings before my car found four that it was happy with. Good quality bearings can fail prematurely for a number of reasons: wrong or incorrect application, issues with suspension parts (e.g. shocks), worn steering components.

·
Registered
492 Posts
The reason SRX wheel bearings are so bad is because their Ball bearings with no way to grease . Tried other brands - American Bearings all made in China . Just a bad design .

·
Registered
3 Posts
yep yours lasted longer than mine...I cheaped out and did the drivelines at 76.99 each after the very awesome TRT30 promo code they ended up around fifty bucky each, oddly enough, and this should have been my first clue, when I got two replacement drivelines delivered from advanced, I opened the two different sized boxes to find two different looking hub/bearings but upon referencing part numbers on advancesuto site they fit the vehicle so they got installed. about a month later and maybe, maybe 250 miles I rode to work with the wife (her car) and could plainly hear the passenger side humming away. Junk? Fluke? who knows, they do have a one year warranty so I'm currently working that route...how was your experience with advance auto honoring warranties?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Guys, this has actually had an interesting turn of events. Last week I experienced yet another Moog hub assembly failure, this time in the front, which is part # 513198. Fed up, and because as a career I am a sales executive, and research executives for a living, I decided to find out who is the Sr. Executive in charge for Moog chassis parts in North America. A found the contact info for a gentleman by the name of Byron Osterland who is the VP of Global Chassis for Federal Mogul, the owner of the Moog brand. I reached out to him by email and explained my position. Here is the email.

Hi Mr. Osterland,

Thanks for taking the time out of your busy day to read my email. I'm reaching out to you directly, as it seems I've exhausted all normal manufacturer support channels with no resolution. Since early 2016 I have been using Moog hubs 512243 and 512198 on my 2007 Cadillac SRX, and I'm sorry to say I have had 4 hub failures inside of 1.5 years.

Advanced Auto, my retailer, has been excellent about replacing the units each and every time. The issue is that I've had multiple failures, and each failure requires that I disassemble, reassemble, amounting to close to 4 total hours of labor each time. I've had one hub literally separating in half, and 3 others that appear to have failed electronically at the speed sensor. Hubs like this should not be failing multiple times a year, and I'm hoping you will want to understand why.

If you are amenable to it, is there a way to work with your team on this issue? I figure since I've had so many failures, perhaps there will be something to be learned from this that will benefit your customer base at large. If not, would Moog consider allowing me to just remove all of the bearings for a full credit at the retailer?

Thanks for any assistance with this matter.

Sincerely,

Brian Guild

I immediately heard back from him, here is his reply... it's great BTW

Brian
I am sorry for your troubles. MOOG is the Aftermarket leader in Quality and we take all complaints seriously.

I have already asked my team to contact you in order to get this issue resolved to your satisfaction. I am also interested in obtaining the failed samples. I want my engineering team to review them and diagnose why they failed. This will help us address and fix the issue permanently.

You will hear from our MOOG product manager within 24 hours.

Best Regards,

Bryon Osterland

Since then the company has been all over this issue. Someone from the executive office reached out, and scheduled on onsite tech to come and inspect the failed part. He came out today and determined both of my front hubs are what they classify as "pre-revision" hubs before they fixed the design and changed the sensor design on these hubs. They have already provided one replacement hub for the front failed unit so they could take the faulty one back to their lab and inspect it. They are sending a second replacement hub.

TD;DR: Sometimes reaching out to executive team members after having a horrible experience gets results. AND, make sure if you buy Moog hub assemblies from your auto retailer, they have the Blue wire and have an ASTERISK on the box where the part number is to denote a revised part. I will also take a picture of the revised part vs. the old part to show you guys. Now, this doesn't mean I am out of the woods yet, but it does mean the manufacturer is trying their best to provide a good experience. Which frankly says a lot about Moog and Federal Mogul, and should give you confidence that they stand behind their products. I have to say I have been VERY impressed with the interaction.

Stay tuned on where this ends up, I'll keep updating the thread.

·
Registered
492 Posts
For what its worth - Timken wheel bearings are a piece of shit too. Went with Timken on the last rear I replaced (thought they were made in USA and the rears are twice as hard to replace as the front ). I think it was made in Korea . The speed sensor went to shit in less than a year . Now it pisses me off every God Dam time I go to drive it I have to hit the clear fault button twice to drive it so I don't hear the chime !

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wonder if there is an aftermarket bearing that is any good? Ill try these revised Moogs and report back, but I remain concerned. Maybe OEM is the only option.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My 06 SRX N* AWD eats hubs for lunch... no matter what brand I buy. Moog, Timken other... So I just accept it and buy the least expensive hubs, 2 for $60 on Amazon or Prime Choice. I replace them every 15-20K, I have a extra set in the garage... one strange note during the last oil change they had no play (15K on hubs).... May be Chinese finally fixed the issues.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
6 Participants
browe