Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1977 Coupe (blue), 1977 Coupe (yellow), 1977 Coupe (green)
1,493 Posts
I think the reasoning behind the trunk lid pull down was to prevent the seal from becoming distorted and hammered out by owners who slam the lid down when they close close the trunk.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ELR
9,699 Posts
I think it is a "class" thing. It is so much more dignified to simply click the trunk closed than to slam it like all the commoners ;)

·
Registered
02 Escalade | 02 Corvette "Goldilocks" | 03 Blazer 4x4 | 92 Caprice Wagon LS1/T56
19,691 Posts
^ I agree with Jay. I liked the power trunk pulldown on our '92 Park Avenue. It was much easier and less obnoxious. lol

·
Registered
87 Brougham, 1969 Calais, 95 FWB, 07 SRX, 07 ESV
4,246 Posts
it also ensures that your lid stays closed. With the standard lid closing method, on some older cars, you have to slam it just right for it to close properly.

·
Registered
Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300
5,418 Posts
Its helpful when you have both arms full of groceries, you can just nudge the trunklid down with your elbow and it magically closes.

Also, with my previous car, a Camaro hatchback, the rear glass and liftgate was so huge that you had to slam the hatch closed. It moved so much air when you closed it that anything less than a full slam wouldn't latch it. If you had a window open, the air had somewhere to rush out, so it closed real easy. The 3rd gen Camaro/Firebird had a power pull down motor to eliminate that problem, got taken out on the 4th gen cars for some reason.

I'd imagine you might have a similar problem with the huge trunklid on the Caddy.

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
It's mainly to be different but also stops the trunk from having to be slammed shut.

·
Registered
1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
4,414 Posts
This is one of the most useful features I have found in my Caddy along with remote trunk release :)

·
Registered
89 Brougham, 98 Deville, 04 DTS, 05 Deville
233 Posts
yep it really sets it apart from other cars. my 98 has the pull down as well but is no where near as nice as the pull down in my 89. the 89 clicks and pulls down nice and smooth, the 98 catches with a weird noise and then the whole trunk lid kinda wobbles its not loose it just does that, like its just not as solid as the 89 go figure. trunk pull down, 4 lighters, 4 ash trays [I'd never smoke in my car or smoke a cigarette period] but its still cool cuz most cars just have one, vanity mirrors, rear passenger lights, thermostat climate control, power mirrors and windows! more features than many new cars. I laugh when people think they're new car is nice but has rolly windows, no power mirrors or locks. HAHA

·
Registered
93 fleet brougham
109 Posts
Put it like this. Mines went out and the expression "you dont miss something until its gone" has NEVER been more true than right now. I truly miss that feature.:crying2:

·
Registered
'92 Brougham 5.7ltr
44 Posts
I must admit I bought our Caddy just because it was a good price and fit the entire family. I bought it just for transportation not as a piece of luxury or a status symbol. But not having to slam the trunk when the kids are snoozing in the back seat is heaven. Pure heaven.

·
Registered
1984 deville, 1997 deville, 2001 deville
17 Posts
i have extra weather stripping in the trunk and it keeps my trunk sealed when my stereo is turned up. no rattles. i have to slam the trunk on my other car without this feature. looks bad slamming the trunk hard on a nice car

·
Registered
1995 Triple Black FWB
92 Posts
I wish my Cadillac had a power trunk lid. Press a button to open/close, all the way...

I'll stop dreaming now and start counting my blessing.

·
Registered
1989 Brougham d'Elegance, 1985 Fleetwood Brougham *Coupe*
4,256 Posts
My only complaint about the power trunk is that you can't use the glove box switch unless the ignition is on. With early '90's Lincoln Town Cars, the trunk release switch is supplied constant 12 volts. There have been a few times when I didn't have the keys and it would have been so convenient if I could unlock the truck without them.

·
Registered
1989 Brougham d'Elegance, 1985 Fleetwood Brougham *Coupe*
4,256 Posts
^It's on my to-do list. I'll wait until it gets a little more annoying before I start playing with electricity again.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts