Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it has been almost a year and I just noticed my left side license plate light is now flickering. I have noticed in previous threads that I'm not alone on this matter. I was just wondering if anyone has found a fix for this issue? Has somebody found an aftermarket bulb that will not flicker after a matter of time?

·
Registered
08 Platinum Escalade, 08 CTS, 01 TransAm WS6, 07 SolsticeGXP
478 Posts
Mine flickers, too!!!!
Just noticed it tonight!
I have LEDs. Do incandescents flicker, too?

·
Registered
'08 CTS
189 Posts
Other than replacing them, I haven't found a solution. I've given up on Autolumination.com bulbs as they start to flicker after a few weeks. Someone on the forum recommended another vendor with better bulbs. I purchased a couple of sets and they did last a lot longer (about a year). I can't remember the name of the of the Web site, but I'll look in my records.

·
Registered
08 White Diamond CTS DI RWD FE2 all options
2,541 Posts
Other than replacing them, I haven't found a solution. I've given up on Autolumination.com bulbs as they start to flicker after a few weeks. Someone on the forum recommended another vendor with better bulbs. I purchased a couple of sets and they did last a lot longer (about a year). I can't remember the name of the of the Web site, but I'll look in my records.
I agree. The LED's from autolumination are of poor quality, absolutely not worth the money. I have gone through 2 sets already. I have enough. Most likely I will switch back to incandescent. Unless somebody has a source of quality LED's

·
Registered
2009 CTS
18 Posts
I had one of my LED license plate bulbs go bad on me (started flickering rapidly). I took it apart and found that the LED was still good. It was the current-limiting resistor that was burnt and flaking out.

·
Registered
08 Platinum Escalade, 08 CTS, 01 TransAm WS6, 07 SolsticeGXP
478 Posts
Interesting...!

Hate to ask a dumb question, but where would i find this resistor?? I'll test mine!

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
I just went back to incandescent bulbs. I do not like them but I am not going to spend $25 on autolumination crapy products every few months. I have enough!

Mattsborn,
You might be right as my last LED defect was loose wire. But I am buying LED bulbs, not LED’s, resistors, enclosure etc. and assembling it myself. As I said befoe they products are very questionable quality and I advise everybody not to buy from them. Do a research. There are many discussion forums on the net and people are complaining about products from autolumination. Not only us on this forum. It means something.

LED suppose to last 100,000 hours. The ones from autolumination do not even last 1,000 hours! Stay away from them.

Michael 54,
The resistor is inside the enclosure. You would need to disassemble it to see it. Not sure how easy it would be though…

If anybody has a source of quality LED’s please post it here. I would gladly buy a pair of 194’s for my license plate.

·
Registered
Previous: '08 CTS4, '09 CTS, '11 CTS4, all Premium models. No longer own a Cadillac.
2,109 Posts
MoFex and All:
For info.. I have been in touch with a leading supplier of aftermarket automotive lamps & bulbs (no, it is not Autolumination), and they've advised that they are soon going to release a new line of latest technology state-of-the-art LED's in two fitments (i.e. W5W and C5W). They have offered to send me a pair of the new LED bulbs for evaluation on my '09 CTS. I should receive the bulbs within a week or so. The new LED's (referred to as "dLED's" by the supplier) don't generate significant heat and have reportedly performed flawlessly in Porsche and Ferrari applications. Sounds impressive. I'll provide an update in this thread after I've received the pair of dLED bulbs and install them in my CTS. By the way.. the supplier intends to make available the new dLED's sometime in September. More detailed info will be available then. My apologies for not mentioning the supplier at this time, but I thought it best not to jump the gun.

:cheers:

RAB.

·
Registered
2019 CTS
2,898 Posts
I have found that the LEDs I used that are made up of individual leds are the ones causing the flickering. I have several that appear to be small yellow dots on a green background. I have seen them from two of these dots up to 8 dots. In those areas where I am using them,I have no problem. I don't know what the difference is, but there seems to be one.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
RAB

count me in! I will definitely buy a pair of the LED.

I think dLED is a marketing plot - "digital" LED ;) But if it works who cares...

LED do not generate significant amount of heat. The heat is generated by the resistor. If you can design a different way of limiting the current (like using IGBT to chop the current) there will bo not much heat disipated.

Anything but products from auloumination!

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
I have found that the LEDs I used that are made up of individual leds are the ones causing the flickering. I have several that appear to be small yellow dots on a green background. I have seen them from two of these dots up to 8 dots. In those areas where I am using them,I have no problem. I don't know what the difference is, but there seems to be one.
I had both, the single LED and the multiple LED's (SMT - surface munt techology). Both failed after a few months. Autolumination supplied products!

·
Registered
Previous: '08 CTS4, '09 CTS, '11 CTS4, all Premium models. No longer own a Cadillac.
2,109 Posts
RAB
count me in! I will definitely buy a pair of the LED.
I think dLED is a marketing plot - "digital" LED ;) But if it works who cares...
LED do not generate significant amount of heat. The heat is generated by the resistor. If you can design a different way of limiting the current (like using IGBT to chop the current) there will bo not much heat disipated.
Anything but products from auloumination!
MoFex, all right!
By the way.. the "d" in this case stands for "Durst", not digital. The upcoming dLED I've made reference to possesses latest technology provided by Durst. I am not aware of the exact method utilised to limit current on this new LED, but I do know that a new IC (integrated circuit) is one of the factors in its overall design. The manufacturer/supplier could very well be using a miniaturized IGBT as a way to control current. In the text that I've reviewed the supplier mentions that, as part of the dLED design, in-line resistors or capacitors are not utilised / not required, so there you are. As you said, an IGBT would negate the heat issue that would otherwise occur with LED bulbs using a more primitive method of current limiting. Another factor/benefit in the design of the new dLED is that the bulb will not falsely trigger the "bulb-out" warning light / message system (in those vehicles so-equipped) as can occur with lower-tech LED's (i.e. which means most or all other LED bulbs). It all sounds pretty good. I'm anxious now to receive the pair of W5W dLED's for evaluation on my '09 CTS. Will let you and others know how things go in a week or two, after I've received & installed the new bulbs.
Regards,
RAB.

·
Registered
2019 CTS
2,898 Posts
If the new bulb design works; maybe you could approach the manufacturer about a group purchase. We make up a very discerning test group with a critical eye toward quality vs price.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
C6Vette :
No problem. Will be sure to keep everyone here in the loop.
When I receive & apply the new bulbs I'll take a few "before & after" nighttime photos, and post them in this thread. I know.. we've all seen similar such pics in the past in this forum, but I figure a new LED bulb design warrants fresh photos. :)

C "T" ess :
Good thought. BTW.. when I wrote the manufacturer/supplier last week, I mentioned that I am part of a large forum community of Cadillac owners, and that most of us have had problems with failing LED's with respect to license plate illumination. I added that there are potentially dozens of forum members who'd be interested in purchasing better designed/higher quality/long lasting LED bulbs for their 2008+ CTS's (along with other Cadillac models). In their response back they offered to send me a pair of W5W dLED's for evaluation on a current model "GM vehicle" (i.e. my '09 CTS), adding that the new dLED's should be available for on-line purchase sometime next month. Based on prices I've seen for other bulbs they offer for various applications, I'm guessing they'll offer the W5W dLED's for $30-$35 a pair. Whether they'd provide a special price for Cadillac Owners forum members based on a group buy is a question I've yet to ask, but is one I will certainly pose after receiving/installing the evaluation bulbs (and with everything appearing to be 100% with the new bulbs). But realistically.. how long do I evaluate the dLED's on my CTS before all of us here get a real sense that the new bulb is a winner? Do we wait 6 months?.. or do we exercise the leap of faith thing and order them as soon as they're available? Don't know. For sure, it will be up to the individual. Anyway, I'll have the evaluation bulbs soon, and we'll go from there.
Later...

RAB.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
$30 - $35 is a bit steep. But if they are quality LED's I am still in.
PM me with the manufacturer web site and I will "monitor" the progres.

Thanks for the good work!

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Just installed new LED's for the licence plate. My thirt set! This time from a different source that seems reputable. Let's hope they will last. $30/set of two + $8.95 shipping they were not cheap.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Further to my last post in this thread...
I finally received the new LED's (referred to as dLED's by the manufacturer/supplier) for evaluation on my '09 CTS. I can tell you now that the dLED's came from Höen (www.hoen-usa.com). I installed them on my vehicle this evening.

Here is some descriptive text received recently from Höen in connection with their new dLED bulbs, quote...
"Höen's advanced dLED bulb is a design that features open LED design for more cooling, and the assembly is constructed on a PCB (printed circuit board) which is designed to dissipate heat (that the 0.5W LED's produce) in opposite directions. We have employed multiple IC's (integrated circuits) to keep voltage variations in check, to allow constant powering".

I (along with MoFex) are among the first to test Höen's new dLED's on a GM vehicle. Cadillac/GM vehicles are evidently notorious for eating run-of-the-mill LED bulbs, so it will be interesting to see how the new dLED's perform.
Per their website, Höen will be charging $30.00 (plus shipping) for a pair of W5W dLED bulbs. (Note that "W5W" is the model/style of bulb that is applied to the license plate lamp housings on the 2008+ CTS).

I've linked-in a few photos below, to show everyone what Höen's new dLED looks like in W5W format. Note that there is one (1) LED on each side of the PCB for a total of 2 LED's on each dLED bulb assembly.

Original W5W incandescent bulb on the left; Höen's new W5W dLED bulb assembly on the right:

Close-up of one side of Höen's W5W dLED bulb assembly (the LED component is on the far right side of the assembly; it is colored yellow around its center):

License plate illumination with original W5W incandescent bulbs:

License plate illumination with Höen's W5W dLED bulbs:

Will post again later on (in a few weeks) with a near-term evaluation of these new dLED's. So far I like them. Their robust appearance and unconventional design suggests they may well last a long time. Time will tell.
If anyone has queries about this, they can of course post questions in this thread or just send me a PM.

RAB.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
RAB

good info. I installed them 3 weeks ago and so far s good. It does seem they are better quality and much more thought were put into their design. Now the only questions is longevity...I guess time will tell ;)

Again thank you for the information....

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
MoFex - Thanks. :thumbsup:
Hopefully Höen's new LED bulb design will work out well for you and I, along with all other forum members who decide to venture down this path.
Regards,
RAB.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts