Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
05 STS AWD 1SG
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. The leveling system on the car only works intermittent. I hear the sound (that sound that comes from the right rear of the trunk) only sometimes, and it's sorta like a low-rider in the back. But sometimes it'll work and raise the car just fine. Wonder what's causing that?

Thanks....

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
88,148 Posts
Maybe it's not turning on because it doesn't need to. Does it work when you put a load in the trunk?

·
Registered
1996 Eldorado
2,814 Posts
You are more likely to have a problem if you hear it running often.

I think the pump has a 20 second timer and will shut down & reset itself after 20.

In 4 years I don't think I ever heard the pump run more than 5 seconds & I seldom hear it at all.

·
Registered
97, 97, RIP 98, 99 STS with Jakes studs
718 Posts
it always comes on when you turn the ignition on. Turns on for a second or 2 to do a check and stops. Its when it comes on twice all the time when you start the car, or again minutes later, that you need to worry about.

·
Registered
not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350
7,705 Posts
the fuel pump will run for a second or 2 when you turn it on its primimg the pump to start
but usualy you won't hear the fuel pump unless you just turn the key to the on or ac position
if you turn the car on chanes are its going to be to load or loud to here the fuel pump because youll have the noise from the compresor and the engine compartment when just starting

if your compressor only comes on ones when you start the car and then again when someone gets in the back it will level itself when anyone loads that car with more weight from the rear

if uyou hear it comming on more often like at stop lights or even when driving
then you have a problem it could be the pump not working properly or you have a leak in one of the lines or one of the rear shocks perhaps

·
Registered
1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")
6,405 Posts
I have my Exhaust Solenoid shorted to ground witch means new compressor head.
I found this brand new ELC compressor for fairly cheap and obviously I bought it.
Now the catch is the compressor is for a Cadillac (unknown model). I checked the pictures and I found no difference from the drawings in the FSM.
Today I received the part and the only differences I notice are:
1. All 3 rubber bushings are in the wrong angle (same position but 90* turned)
2. It has a port with a Schrader valve on top of the compressor head
3. I can not figure out for the life of me where is the air output port. There is a nipple but is plugged (from casting).
4. It does not have the short harness and according to the FSM the bolt holding the harness cable tie in this compressor is the actual GND pin and the bolt where the GND is shown in the FSM is free on this compressor (not a big deal I can just move the GND connection).

Here is THE actual compressor I bought:

So 1. I can fix by reusing the original brackets (if the FSM drawing is accurate), 2. I can just ignore, or I can swap the top cover of the compressor head, 4. I will just reuse the original short harness but what about 3? Where the heck is the output port?

Does anybody have a good picture of the compressor?
I am looking for '92-'97 Seville, '92-'02 Eldorado or '94-'99 Deville, I am dying to see it and there's 2 more days until Saturday when I have time to go underneath the car. If you have a picture from a newer model please post it too, anything goes.

·
Registered
1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")
6,405 Posts
Thanks johnny kannapo, based on the pictures I can definitely tell I need to swap the brackets for the 3 mountings points (yup, the FSM is correct). This is not a big deal anyway, I can also tell there is no service port on top of the compressor head (I may keep it if my original top plate is rusted). The GND connection point (as per first picture) is like the FSM (shockingly the FSM is accurate).
I noticed (based on the first picture) that my connector for the exhaust solenoid is taller, it should be visible in the first picture if it were like mine... Other than that everything is identical (motor the same, muffler the same, compressor head - from the angles I see above - is the same).
Unfortunately I am looking for a picture diagonally opposite from the first or last one, that's what I need to see.
I just bench tested the compressor (motor) and works great, on this occasion I noticed that the OUT port is the nipple on the muffler end but where is the inlet port? I can not figure out where is the air sucked in, it definitely builds pressure but where from?

·
Registered
05 STS AWD 1SG
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Maybe it's not turning on because it doesn't need to. Does it work when you put a load in the trunk?
Sometimes. But mostly no. And it sits very low in the back, and feels like it's metal to metal (no shocks) when you go over bumps. Like those Lincoln MK VIII's do when the leveling system goes.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
88,148 Posts
If the compressor is intermittent, then it's either a failing compressor or a bad connection.

·
Registered
05 STS AWD 1SG
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
it always comes on when you turn the ignition on. Turns on for a second or 2 to do a check and stops. Its when it comes on twice all the time when you start the car, or again minutes later, that you need to worry about.
Sometimes it doesn't come on at all, and it looks like it's dragging the rear end on the ground. Other times when and if it does come on, it will come on and stop after it pumps the car up to the appropriate level (sometimes takes 30 seconds), then shut off. Then sometimes I'll notice it back on again at a stoplight or something... But overnight, it surely deflates. EVERY morning when I go out to get in it, the rear fender's on top of the back tires. The question is; whether or not the leveling system will come on or not. Sometimes yes... sometimes no.

·
Registered
not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350
7,705 Posts
sounds more like you have a issue with the Compressor or the wiring id say fuse or relay but usually when those go bad its not a sometimes and sometimes not type of thing

pull some codes and see if anything comes up

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
88,148 Posts
Might also look closely at the actuator switch under the rear end. IT may not be commanding the pump on. Since it leaks down overnight, you may has a leak in one of the lines or shock boots.

·
Registered
05 STS AWD 1SG
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Mine doesn't. It has a mind of it's on. Depends on the day. If it doesn't feel like it, I ride around like I'm trying to pop a wheelie all day.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts