Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1998 eldorado NON touring
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would it be better to rebuild the pump or replace the pump. I wouldn't know where to get a rebuild kit (if they exist) but the new pumps that I have found aren't to bad from suncoreindustries but they are rebuilt units. I have no problem rebuilding it. I can soda blast the unit after taking it apart and re-paint it. I am wondering if anyone has ever rebuilt there own. I would think if kits exist that they would be much cheaper than a rebuilt unit.

I don't know that I need a new pump but I keep going through different issues with the rear suspension and more and more the pump is becoming suspect or at least another part to replace.

Anybody have any thoughts or advice?

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,430 Posts
Never heard of anyone rebuilding one, nor would I know where to get the parts. I think locating parts would be the biggest hurdle.

·
Registered
not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350
7,705 Posts
Never heard of anyone rebuilding one, nor would I know where to get the parts. I think locating parts would be the biggest hurdle.
Not sure about the Cadillac Pumps Compressors and dryers

but i know that alot of the Air ride shops and company's rebuild Compressor pump and dryers for Lincolns all the time
so im going to assume it won't be much different then what they do for that

·
Registered
1998 eldorado NON touring
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea, I figure it would be easier to replace. But for some reason "re-build it" keeps whispering in my mind. I will take to calling some shops tomorrow and see if I can gain any headway.

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac STS 1SF 113k | '97 SLS (blown hg @154k - sold)
355 Posts
Test it with a multimeter. Depending on what's wrong with it, you can rebuild it. If it's the solenoid, you can open it up and resolder the wires. I know Arnott provides a dryer rebuild kit with their compressors, but not sure if they sell it separately. I just rebuilt my dryer by putting in new desiccant. I used silica gel cat litter from walmart. If you do plan on rebuilding the dryer, its a pain in the ass to get open. I ended up putting the "lid" part in a bench vise and twisting it as hard as I could get get it to turn.

·
Registered
97, 97, RIP 98, 99 STS with Jakes studs
718 Posts
I also have working compressors here. They all work the same, depending on year you jsut change the plug end and some times the brackets on the ends need to be swapped to fit your car. I have "rebuilt" a few. As in: swapped good solenoids from bad pumps to good pumps with bad solenoids. The plastic tip on the solenoid usually breaks, they get filled up with corrosion and dust.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts