Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently, someone pointed out that I seem to be one of the minority around here that actually put something in their profile. SO..........
In an effort to get people to get to know each other better, what about everybody telling what they like to do BESIDES WORK!
If you want to share what you do for a job that's cool but I'm more interested in what you like to do to relax or have fun. It tends to say more about you than what you do for money. Lord knows, at least that's the case with me. Working at the family business (basically a sewing factory) was not my idea but I'm helping out the family.

As I metioned in my profile, I enjoy Scuba diving wood and metal working, and USED to enjoy riding motorcycles before I was banned from them by my wife back in '94. That's when I had a rather unfortunate accident on a dirt bike in which I managed to break my neck in 6 places. I'd like to say she's being unreasonable about not letting me ride but I guess I can see her side of the issue. ;)
So what about the rest of you?

·
Banned
1996 Fleetwood Brougham
7,237 Posts
Hi my names Jeff, and I'm a debate-aholic.

Is there anything outside work? Because I'm not doing it now!

WAIT!!! I collect Hot Wheels. I'm not as fanatical about it as I once was, but I still buy them, display them and check their values on Ebay. I have a few thousand or more. I call it an accumulation, since you can't possibly (unless you are really a geek) display thousands of Hot Wheels.

I also like Play Station and PC games. But, work really is my game right now.

Oh yea, motorsports!!!!! I've been to the Long Beach Grand Prix when it as F1 and for most of its CART races. I've been to races at Indy (bump day), Suzuka (F1), Monza (F1), Road Atlanta (Sports Cars), Sears Point (IMSA), Laguna Seca (Various), Daytona (NASCAR & 24 hours), Sebring (12 Hours), California Speedway (CART/NASCAR), Charlotte (NASCAR), Talledega (NASCAR) and Lions Drag Strip!

I still want to go races at Monte Carlo, Le Mans, Bathurst and Bristol.

·
Registered
'05 Expedition
7,651 Posts
My real name is Pete, and I have four dogs and two cats. No kids.

My wife bought a Z3 a couple months ago, and I've been having a lot of fun playing with that. I'm a car crazy but I don't have the time or the space to pursue the hobby. Maybe someday.

I took up golf when I turned 30 (it's the LAW) and by the time I was 33 I broke 80 twice and averaged about 82 that summer. I've slacked off in the past few years, and now I'm consistently hovering around 90.

Just turned 39 on the 2nd of August. I'm making a list of things that I don't have to do anymore because I'm old. Climbing tall ladders and changing my own oil were the first things to come to mind.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
well, iam Justin, iam 18. Getting old sucks, iam working 40 hours a week now because iam trying to get a new car(my deville has cost me more in repairs then what i paid for it) and iam trying to save for school. I work at Boston Market(oh boy) and they are sending me to training school, witch is the first step to being an hourly shift manager. I also collect hotwheels and other cars, i have alot of cadillacs now. I also like racing RC cars(the real ones, not radio shack) but with a real car i dont have the money for the RC cars. I also build model cars. am thinking about a carrer in computer graphics since i was good at it in high school(the teacher had me teach the class about the 3D program) and it was fun. Well, thats me. I think this is my longest post, lol.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Yo,
My name is Jeremy, I work at Baja Fresh (I know it's not great, but I make more than any kid around!) and I LOVE to work on old cars. Newer cars just annnoy me with all their computer shit and sensors everywhere and the weird position of their engines etc. I like to talk on AIM (of course, i'm 16) and can't get away from EBAY..., and of course cadillacforums.com. haha. But yeah, workin' on cars owns. And then driving them around is cool afterwards. :bouncy:

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
Well...... You all know my name......... Im 17 and I own a Q45, which I wouldnt want to own anything else!!!! I love working on my car, I think it feels much better when you fix something yourself and say "yeah, I DID this!!!"... Anyone can take it to a shop, but not everyone is courageous enough to work on it themselves...... Not to mention I couldnt afford it anyway....

Mainly, my interests are cars, and golf...... I picked up golf 3.5 years ago, and have played non-stop since..... I have played when its below freezing, or when its above 100..... When I first started, my handicap (average score above par) was around 22, then when down to 18, and by the end of my second season I was a 12...... Now, I am a 9, and play every day.......

I also work at a golf course...... Which is really good because it lets me be around the game I love when Im not playing it!!!

Before I started golf, I was a computer-holic....... That being said, I have fixed many peoples computers, and am basically the local technological consultant..... I try and keep up on whats going on...... Its not just computers, I like to help people with any sort of electronic device they may have....... Owners manual??? What are those???

·
Registered
1984 Fleetwood Brougham coupe
1,576 Posts
My name is Ray, I'm 29. I own my own business (pest control). I collect 1:18 scale diecast cars(got 40+). I own probably the biggest car magazine collection. I'm in the process of dropping a 500V8 into my '84 Fleetwood Brougham Coupe. One of my hobbies is pistol target shooting. Never pass up the chance to play tackle football. Now going into motorcycles as a new hobby. Not married and no kids ( :D ). And I own a Alaskan Malamute (100lbs) and a Siberian Husky (54lbs)

·
Registered
just one
1,386 Posts
My name is Giles. I'm originally from Vermont but now live in the Boston Area. I'm 23, and work in inside salesfor the largest business applications software company in the world. www.sap.com Formerly, I played college basketball at Babson and was a starter on the #1 defense in the country in 2002. I thought about playing professionally but decided not to after I received a job offer. All I do is work, lift weights, play ball, watch ESPN, chill with my girlfriend and friends, relax when I can, etc. I'm not exactly a motorhead but I'm learning...

·
Registered
329 Posts
My real name is James. I'm a Kansas State alumni (K-S-U WILDCATS!!!) and now work as a programmer in Kansas City. I collect DVDs (I'm a huge movie buff), Transformers, Scooby Doo memoribilia, and guitars. I play bass & guitar in a local rock band (nothing too big or ambitious). Most of my free time is spent watching movies, playing video games, running, or hanging out with friends.... oh and driving my Cadillac :bouncy:

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac DeVille
397 Posts
k, so i'm Kyle. I'm the most boring kid you'll meet! I'm 18, I like hockey, and work on the DeVille and the folks' 96 Sierra. I did work at A&P until I was fired but I have a job lined up so i'm in the clear for now!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Haha, this is like reading profiles from some dating sites. :)

My name is Lev. It's the same as my name on the forum, I checked twice.

During the day, I work for a home security company, punching a clock just million other nine to five shmos out there.

But at night, I put on cape and tights and fight crime. When do I ever sleep? :)

Ok, all kidding aside. I drive a ninety four 'wood, black with grey leather. I belong to equallyyolked christian singles group. Like long drives.
I am also a Yanni fan. And yes, I DO like girls, so no smart aleky comments from anybody. Went to his concert in spring two thousand and three.
I am a libertarian, when it comes to political views, unless we're talking burning flag or the "under God" word in US flag allegiance.
My love for Cadillacs goes back to my early teenage years. Some one said here, they're dry on doe because of Cadillac repairs. Stay strong , brother, the promised land will come, once everything is fixed.
I am also addicted to chocolate, and I am a dude. Usually girls are addicted to it :)

That's my boring-ass posting, if anyone gives a damn.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I must admit I'm getting a hell of a kick out of this thread! I just hope everyone else enjoys it as well. It's GREAT getting a little more "personal" with everyone.
I have a lot in common with several people here.
I was a HUGE Transformers fan, I also used to build some REALLY detailed models (had to customize them of course), used to have a huge Hot Wheels collection until I thought I'd make points with a girlfriend by giving them to her little brother and of course we broke up a couple months later. :(
I love building and repairing PCs although I'm hardly an expert, and the list goes on.
I think it's great to see more about the other members here. There's more to us than Cadillac ownership (or hopes of ownership ;))

·
Banned
1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII
7,971 Posts
Well, I'm ... alright I'm 15, don't hold it against me. 16 in 9 days. Anyway, I'm a Junior in HS, today's my first day back from summer :( . I used to work for my uncle, who's an electrician. I used to have a hobby of fireworks, but I kinda got arrested for that one, right after I got the deville. So I've taken up cars as a hobby kinda, and I've gone from knowing nothing to knowing more than the average person. Well more than the average 16 year old girl, anyway :bouncy:

·
Registered
1984 Fleetwood Brougham coupe
1,576 Posts
"My name is Rusty Shackleford and I was not here when the dog died." Believe it or not I know a guy who is in the business who is a splitting image of Dale. Except there is no John Redcorn messing with his wife.

·
Registered
1994 STS - pearl white
140 Posts
Hi. My name is Eric and I have a problem. I am a DIY-aholic, a tool-aholic and a perpetually-trying-to-do-too-many-projects-at-once-aholic.

Think you might have the same problem? Here are some signs:
1) My lawnmower is older than I am. I'm 33. It's 36. Gotta love those old Lawnboys.
2) My driveway, yard and garage are stuffed/littered with half-finished projects and stuff I have plans for.
3) Last winter I bought a snowblower that didn't work for $200 & I still think it was a bargain. To be fair, the only money I spent on it was a bottle of synthetic 5W30 & a repair manual. I had it running like a charm in a few hours.
4) I have all kinds of hobbies I don't find time for any more: building speakers, making my own beer (bought a whole bunch of gear to start & never found the time to do it), reading (sigh), etc.
5) One of my coworkers once said this about me: "I knew you were serious (about DIY) when you said you were going to fix the Northstar headgasket yourself. It's a machine. You take it apart. You put it back together. What's the problem?" Yeah, that's accurate.
6) The 20-something guys in the neighborhood stop by to borrow obscure tools cause they know I've got them. "You need a jimson wrench to loosen the frazzastat on a 62 Roncomobile? Yeah, I've got one. Let me see if I can find it."

And I could go on.

I'm a mechanical engineer by education, but mostly I design, build & program control systems for robotic welding equipment. In my (precious little) spare time I relax by working on cars or whatever else needs fixing today. Yesterday's fix-it project was the VCR. It crapped out trying to eject a tape. Found a bad solder joint in the power supply section of the circuit board.

I also build and fix PCs when the need arises. I welded up a utility trailer for myself last fall. Included a telescoping tongue and a hand-pumped hydraulic tilt bed with wheelie-casters for the hell of it. Now I just need to find the time to paint & wire it so I can use it.

I've always been of the opinion that if you're gonna fix it, fix it right. Shortcuts are only going to come back and bite you in the ass at the worst possible time. If I don't know how to do something, I start by doing some research.

I am married to a wonderfully patient wife. We have four boys: 16, 14, 12 years and 10 months old. The oldest three are my steps sons, the youngest is Mini-me. Liam is an infant clothes horse. His coolest outfit is a pair of Harley overalls with a do-rag. He's going to be an engineer just like Dad - he's already showing the signs. Poor bugger.

I also have a dog, Rufous. Part Husky, part Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever. 55lbs of lap dog (groan). Check here if you want to see what they look like: www.toller.org/PhotoOfTheWeek/index.asp Roo's a cool pup. He has one brown eye & one blue eye. The blue eye is so pale it looks white. He's a beautiful dog, but he's neurotic - he chews patches of fur down to the skin.

Whenever I'm not building/fixing/working on something, I basically fall asleep (unless I'm here).

My next big project is adding on to my house. The plan is to increase the square footage to about double what it is now. I plan on doing most of the work myself, with help from my father-in-law.

I am truly insane.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Cool thread. :thumbsup: My name is Seth, I'm 23, and I live in Colorado. I currently work for HP doing backline technical support- I'm the guy you'd talk to if no one else knows what to do. I've been doing computers since 1988- they are my hobby and my passion. I make it a point to be a jack-of-all-trades, master-of-some type. (=

I'm an avid motorcyclist, I love books, I'm a huge Simpsons and Family Guy fan (hence the monkey <--- ), a lover of a good smoke, chilin w/ friends, drinking, dining, wining, etc.

:cheers:

·
Registered
586 Posts
here goes: My real name is Jonthan, everyone calls me Jay, the guy down the street calls me "slow down *******". I love doing my own car work, but it pisses the mechanic at work off when i fix something on my truck without asking him if i can first.

I'm 22 and graduated from college in may. I have 2 jobs now, neither of which are remotrly close to being a good job for a college graduate, but hey, its what little money i can make now.

I have a twin brother named matt, and a younger brother named chris. I still live at home with my parents and the cat and dog... I'm the eldest child.

I just broke up with my GF yesterday. It was a mutual thing and it was mostly becasue we have nothing in common.. it was better this way, besides, the relationship was only 2 months old.

Right now, I need to get tot he gym ( i havent been in a month and i feel fat), Get a better job (so i can get more money), get my own place, and get laid.

thats all.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
We are like one big happy family :grouphug:

Eric--- My uncle is one of those kinds of people..... He is building his own house...... He built his first house, and is in the process of building his second..... I could only hope to say that "yeah, I built this, and see that house over there, I did that too"..... My grandpa had one of the origional lawnboys, until he got a new one for christmas......

Hopes of ownership...... HA!!!

1 - 20 of 128 Posts