Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1990 Brougham
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drive a 1990 Brougham D'Elegance which I am looking to lower approx 2"-3". I want to use spindles in the front but am having a hard time finding anything for this application. What body code is my car? Can I simply order parts for a similar chassis car? Also, what would one do lower the rear (springs obviously) and still have the air ride function properly?

·
Registered
1990 Brougham
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have an idea of how to go about this just from talking to a few people in the know. I'm prepared to have shorter higher rate springs in the back so that there's no issues with bump stops. I don't want to mess with the geometry up front so I figure spindles will do the trick. Question is, what parts do I use and where do I get them? You'd think with the internet be so large and full of information that a quick google search would get me the results I want right away, but I seem to be goin in circles.

·
Auto Enthusiast
1992 Eldorado Touring
3,688 Posts
You have a D body.

You can use any of the springs for the 1994-1996 Impala SS on your car to lower it. Others here have done it successfully.

Take care,
Elias

·
Registered
1990 Brougham
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My dad once drove a 95 Impala SS. Nice car on long trips. So, if I can use lowering springs for a 94-96 Impala SS can I also use lowering spindles for the same car? Are they necessary or is just changing four coil springs the way to go? I want to retain atleast some of the cars ride quality. Thanks for identifying my car as a D body. Perhaps that will help in my search for suspension parts.

·
Registered
1981 Sedan DeVille Diesel
119 Posts
I used Eibach Impala SS springs and got nearly 4" of drop with springs alone on my '83 Coupe. I'd start with the springs and if you're not satisfied go for spindles.

·
Registered
1970 Sedan deVille hardtop
595 Posts
I second the suggestion of springs before spindles. Drop spindles can often cause tire clearance issues with the steering arm and/or swaybar because of how the spindle location is moved. No matter how you change the ride height you will change the geometry though. Even using lowering spindles changes where the suspension roll center is. Plus, once you've lowered the front that much you will need higher rate springs or else you are likely to be scraping the ground as the suspension moves.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts