Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2007 STS-V
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would I need to do, and how much would it cost, to drop a 6.2L LS9 into my 2007 STS-V.

The engine and tranny together are like $30k.

What else?

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac STS-V Black On Black
1,428 Posts
I've been thinking this for a long time! If I ever have the extra money laying around I'd do this :p

What kinda trans are you looking at? I'd want an 8 speed auto.

You'd definitely need to upgrade the drive shaft, rear axle and other related parts.

·
Registered
2013 OBM CTS-V Coupe
2,664 Posts
I don't think the CAN bus will accept the new wiring and connections. Check with Tim. Just wait for the 2016 CTS-V....... I am.

·
Registered
2006 STS-V, 2004 Pontiac GTO, 2008 Pontiac G8 GT, 1999 Chevrolet Suburban LT 4x4
1,417 Posts
Well, throwing aside what it would physically be to fit into an STS-V (as I wouldn't know), just find a wrecked LSA CTS-V WITH the 6L90E, get the engine, trans, and wiring harness, and half the battle is over. Send the trans out to a builder like FLT or RPM and never worry about it again. The 6L90 is a little longer than the 80E though, so perhaps some modification to the support would need to be made, and obviously a shorter driveshaft would be needed.

·
Registered
2018 Camaro 2SS/NPP/F55/AQJ, Sold: 2015 Camaro, 2006 STS (EXP) 1997 Seville STS (EXP)
447 Posts

·
Registered
2008 STS-V
338 Posts
Not knowing actual scale, I'd imagine any of the "LS" based engines would fit without issue. From pictures alone, the LC3 looks giant compared to the conventional design of the LS engines. It would be interesting to see a photo of them side by side.

·
Registered
CTS-V (Black 2014), CTS-V (Red obsession 2014)
776 Posts
I love the STS-V body, but this is too far (I would guess it is a $100,000 project). I have started cool projects like this before, and while most worked, it took way too much money to get there!
Besides engine and trans, I would end up changing out the rear axle assembly (completely), as well as upgrading all 4 brakes. How you make the electronics work together, I cant even guess.

The V3 will have the same power (far better balance and handling, as well as a warranty; for less money.
It might be cheaper to graft STS-V body panels on to a CTS-V3 frame lol.
IMO, unless you have a great fabricator, a great mechanic, an electronic wizard, and $100K, I would not attempt :(

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I love the STS-V body, but this is too far (I would guess it is a $100,000 project). I have started cool projects like this before, and while most worked, it took way too much money to get there!
Besides engine and trans, I would end up changing out the rear axle assembly (completely), as well as upgrading all 4 brakes. How you make the electronics work together, I cant even guess.

The V3 will have the same power (far better balance and handling, as well as a warranty; for less money.
It might be cheaper to graft STS-V body panels on to a CTS-V3 frame lol.
IMO, unless you have a great fabricator, a great mechanic, an electronic wizard, and $100K, I would not attempt :(
You own 2 2014 CTS-V's, it can't be too expensive for you can it? :p

·
Registered
776 Posts
You own 2 2014 CTS-V's, it can't be too expensive for you can it? :p
Unfortunately, possession is no indication of wealth :)
My priorities are just screwed up. Right now, I can't afford groceries for the kids, but I am driving what I like :)
No, honestly, one is a "company car" and the other is my wife's car. Both daily drivers; can't afford garage queens in my house :)

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Unfortunately, possession is no indication of wealth :)
My priorities are just screwed up. Right now, I can't afford groceries for the kids, but I am driving what I like :)
No, honestly, one is a "company car" and the other is my wife's car. Both daily drivers; can't afford garage queens in my house :)
Haha I know, I was just messing with you, I'm on the same boat as well lol :)

·
Registered
2007 sts-v, 2011 Escalade EXT
382 Posts
Here's the deal boys, lsa from a v or zl1 on eBay with the bigger tranny for roughly 15k. Your 90% done already. Motor mounts and a driveshaft and your in business. Same computer is used and all sensors or standard gm equipment. Get the tune online or set one up yourself if you know how (I still don't) Around me, the absolute hardest thing to find is a freaking tuner!

·
Registered
776 Posts
Here's the deal boys, lsa from a v or zl1 on eBay with the bigger tranny for roughly 15k. Your 90% done already. Motor mounts and a driveshaft and your in business. Same computer is used and all sensors or standard gm equipment. Get the tune online or set one up yourself if you know how (I still don't) Around me, the absolute hardest thing to find is a freaking tuner!
Listen, I readily admit, I don't know crap because I haven't researched it. However, my past experiences with similar projects tell me it is not near this easy, and worlds away from cheap. Motor mounts and driveshaft do not cover it. That drivetrain does NOT fit in the car! The tuner is a huge deal too. Trust me, it's not that simple :) count on $100K for a completed, reliable, good running car.

·
Registered
2007 sts-v, 2011 Escalade EXT
382 Posts
under 20 easy..... Got a lot better things to spend that kind of cash on right now or I'd be on it already

·
Registered
776 Posts
I would advise against the swap at any price. It is a cool idea that is not worth the money. I don't know what you are thinking you are getting for "under 20", but these types of projects turn into money pits very quickly. Please don't ask how I know.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I would advise against the swap at any price. It is a cool idea that is not worth the money. I don't know what you are thinking you are getting for "under 20", but these types of projects turn into money pits very quickly. Please don't ask how I know.
I think under $20k is being too optimistic but I was thinking more under $40k.

·
Registered
776 Posts
yes, I could believe 40 as well as I could believe 100. You could get a pretty close guess if you researched it (I'm not going to). For instance does the 6L90 fit? How will a new and different rear axle assembly bolt up? Custom fab gets expensive quick. I once put a 6 speed manual in a 94 Impala SS. Cool, but dumb $$$

1 - 20 of 34 Posts