Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Black Diamond CTS4 Premium Coupe (sold-09 CTS4 DI Black Raven/Ebony)
4,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw this the other night and wondered to myself...
Did he have a professional lower his car?
How many months does he get out of one set of tires?
How does the car handle after doing this?
Does this even pass state inspection?

It does go to prove you can get those really wide rims to for on the car and not have the rim or tire interfere with the fender.

·
Registered
08 CTS DI
2,301 Posts
The only way that makes sense is if the purpose of the car is to take corners extremely fast/competitively, otherwise you have a car lowered by someone who doesn't understand basic suspension dynamics and even worse, how axle geometry can severely affect power transfer to the wheels when it is extreme. CV axles need to have several bearings inboard and out to help offset the angle stresses. The early axles had a tulip style inboard joint with three rollers that you could feel pulse through the car if it was lowered further than what the joint could handle. The tires don't last long simply because the smaller area of contact with the road results in more stress on that area of the tire. I've seen a bozo take a corner in a ridiculously low Honda like a slot car, it was at a four-way stop intersection which has 90 degree turns. It was impressive except for the fact that he was speeding and obviously ran the stop sign.

·
Super Moderator
2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6, 2016 Mustang GT Performance Pack, M6
6,709 Posts
It's on purpose. Just for the looks and the reactions (like these). I see a few at many Cars and Coffee events. The only miles many see are to and from said events. LoL.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
20,104 Posts
The only way that makes sense is if the purpose of the car is to take corners extremely fast/competitively, otherwise you have a car lowered by someone who doesn't understand basic suspension dynamics and even worse, how axle geometry can severely affect power transfer to the wheels when it is extreme. CV axles need to have several bearings inboard and out to help offset the angle stresses. The early axles had a tulip style inboard joint with three rollers that you could feel pulse through the car if it was lowered further than what the joint could handle. The tires don't last long simply because the smaller area of contact with the road results in more stress on that area of the tire. I've seen a bozo take a corner in a ridiculously low Honda like a slot car, it was at a four-way stop intersection which has 90 degree turns. It was impressive except for the fact that he was speeding and obviously ran the stop sign.
=======================================
The only way that makes sense.............................................
STOP - there is absolutely no way this makes any sense at all -

a SLIGHT camber adjustment can improve HARD/FAST cornering -
and a SLIGHT caster adjustment can make for faster steering -
but this is just ridiculous - NO - BEYOND ridiculous -

AND - if you look closely at the wheels -
you'll see a LOT of shiny wheel protruding past the sidewall -
that means this clown probably has 195mm wide tires mounted on a 10" wide wheel -
for that "stretched" look we ALL want and need -

as far as cornering/handling goes -
he would probably roll those tiny tires off the wheel if he tried a 30mph corner -

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
5,329 Posts
=======================================
The only way that makes sense.............................................
STOP - there is absolutely no way this makes any sense at all -

a SLIGHT camber adjustment can improve HARD/FAST cornering -
and a SLIGHT caster adjustment can make for faster steering -
but this is just ridiculous - NO - BEYOND ridiculous -

AND - if you look closely at the wheels -
you'll see a LOT of shiny wheel protruding past the sidewall -
that means this clown probably has 195mm wide tires mounted on a 10" wide wheel -
for that "stretched" look we ALL want and need -
as far as cornering/handling goes - he would probably roll those tiny tires off the wheel if he tried a 30mph corner -
there goes ol' Bass again, confusing us with facts.

·
Registered
02 Escalade | 02 Corvette "Goldilocks" | 03 Blazer 4x4 | 92 Caprice Wagon LS1/T56
19,738 Posts
He's not going to roll them off at 30mph. lol

It's definitely not my aesthetic either, but it's been going on for decades.

·
Registered
2015 XTS Premium
1,182 Posts
Yup it's all for looks, because apparently there are some people in existence who think that looks good. I personally have never met any of these people. But I see plenty of these cars out there.

Did he have a professional lower his car? Probably

How many months does he get out of one set of tires? Well seeing as they are likely the absolute cheapest tires he can get, they are completely shot after about three months. He probably gets closer to a year though before one explodes.

How does the car handle after doing this? Absolutely terrible. But since he declines every challenge because "it's not worth his time", he never figures this out.

Does this even pass state inspection? No. Well, perhaps in some states.

·
Registered
'10 CTS4 3.6L Wagon prem; '06 STS 3.6L base; '98 Seville STS
2,392 Posts
Stance, yeah it's a thing

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 ATS4 2.0T and a bunch of other stuff....
653 Posts
I saw this the other night and wondered to myself...
Did he have a professional lower his car?
How many months does he get out of one set of tires?
How does the car handle after doing this?
Does this even pass state inspection?

It does go to prove you can get those really wide rims to for on the car and not have the rim or tire interfere with the fender.
:vomit:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts