Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
86 fleetwood
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I was removing the drive shaft and one of the bolts holding the u joint in the rear end broke off inside. Bran new American made bolts from local drive shaft shop. So I tried drilling it and using an easy out still no luck but while drilling messed up the threads. Wonderful. So now I either have to tap or try and find another yoke for the rear end. But if anyone has one that would be.much better then taping and rethreading. PS the new Oldsmobile 350 motor should be here soon. I also forgot to mention I snapped the head off the bolt holding the tail housing on the new 700r4.

·
Registered
87 Brougham, 1969 Calais, 95 FWB, 07 SRX, 07 ESV
4,246 Posts
:O wow, you need stronger bolts or a torque wrench to check the torque you're putting on them! hehe.

sucks man. tapping isn't as bad as it sounds, though.

·
Registered
1977 Coupe (blue), 1977 Coupe (yellow), 1977 Coupe (green)
1,493 Posts
If you can't remove those hardened bolts, you can apply heat from a propane torch to aid in removal. Oxidation causes rust to lock the threads. sometimes vibrations cause bolts to tighten. Heat helps.
If your new to wrenching, it takes a while to familiarize yourself to the amount of pull you can apply to different size bolts. Sometimes when bolts have been in position for a long time, The bolt will come free if you apply pressure with one hand and give the wrench a pop with your free hand. Like an impact wrench the sudden force can free a frozen bolt, sometimes.

·
Registered
86 fleetwood
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ya luckily when I start the motor swap I will have full availabilty to air tools. The weird thing was that I just put those bolts in no more then a month ago when I broke my rear control arms

1 - 4 of 4 Posts