Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
CTS-V
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Came back from lunch and noticed that I had a nice ding on the outer edge of the bumper on the driver side. I have a suspicion of how it happened, but have no way of proving it.

Would anyone be able to tell what would be needed to fix this? It would drive me nuts having this blemish going forward.

·
Registered
<-----"Hulk" 2000-2012...He will always be missed :-(
1,172 Posts
Feel your pain bro. Unfortunately, the only way to really fix it is a body shop. That are will have to be repaired, then the bumper resprayed, and blended. Might be able to get away with a repair, then spot painted and blend with the rest of the bumper.

Go see a shop(or 2-3) and see what they say.

·
Registered
'09 CTS-V, 3K miles & '87 Turbo Buick, 29K miles
3,435 Posts
Doesn't look like it will buff out to me as it looks a ways below the contour of the basic bumper line. I would say body shop also, and I would want to see references from that body shop.

·
Registered
CTS-V
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, it will not buff out as the paint is rippled and the dent probably goes 1cm deep. My previous CTS was rear ended and the shop I took it to did a great job. The only deal in higher end cars and is the only Mercedes authorized body shop in the area. Did a good job applying the thunder gray which is probably as difficult as the crystal red.

I'm leaning towards a group of guys flying remote control helicopters in the parking lot when I came out for lunch. One came close to hitting the car when I saw them, but I didn't inspect my car before leaving. Seems that if you park in a place with no cars, people automatically start doing stupid shit in the vicinity.

·
Registered
2009 cts-v
971 Posts
FWIW, had a similar bumper issue with a previously owned Caddy and let the body shop try to blend it.

Eventually insisted the entire bumper be done so there was no hint of a mismatch (which was evident at a certain angle and with certain light conditions with the blend).

·
Registered
'09 CTS-V, 3K miles & '87 Turbo Buick, 29K miles
3,435 Posts
Almost looks to me like a truck bumper or something else about that high could have nudged it. Were you anywhere a truck or something with a high bumper could have done that. There are some lighter scratches to the left of the area that all run in the same direction. I do feel your pain though and hope that the mend goes OK.

·
Registered
'08 STS-V Sedan Black Formerly three CTS-V's, XLR and STS4N*
868 Posts
My BS did a great job of pulling a blend on my crystal red bumper cover. Cannot tell it was even touched. On my previous silver V they did not have nearly the same luck and when certain light hit it the trained eye could see it. Good luck with the repair. Good news it is only plastic. I hate when the repair has to be done on steel.

·
Registered
2011 CTS-V sedan manual
76 Posts
I feel your pain....after 1 week of owning it I found a nice big stone chip right on the front bumper

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Looks like someone threw a door open into it to me, could be a helicopter blade though... something was moving sideways and hit the edge.
Someone that is good at plastic repair might be able to fix that but that is well into the cover itself, no amount of buffing will fix that.

·
Registered
cts-v coupe thunder gray
46 Posts
There is no shortcut here, bumper has to come off, repair the damaged area, prime and base coat the repair area and then clear coat the whole bumper, if I were writing the estimate I would write for 2/3 hours repair on the "dent" and full refinish time on the bumper

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V , 2010 SRX 2.8T
3,085 Posts
Basically you'll need a new bumper thats repainted. Hell I'd actually just cut the section off with a razor, sand it smooth, bondo it and paint it with touch up paint. A little ghetto but worth a shot if you're going to replace the whole darn thing anyway. The worst is getting a part re-painted, re worked and than a week or two later getting another scratch or dent

1 - 14 of 14 Posts