Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Cadillac EXT premium
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys, I went to open my left passenger door and it has come off on the front. Anyone know what happened here? Easy fix? Thanks

·
Registered
2015 Escalade and 2018 CTS-V
320 Posts
Common. Probably broke like mine did. Just replaced mine, that's the easiest fix.

·
Super Moderator
2010 Platinum Escalade, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham
6,455 Posts
There are some billet aluminum handles available, bet you wouldn't have to worry about them breaking. IIRC, they're not much more than the dealer quoted price.

·
Registered
2018 XT5 Platinum, 2014 S550
1,653 Posts
While your at it, replace the Drivers door with the same one, no key cylinder. Less likely to have a knuckle head pop the lock.
You will loose the ability to get into the truck if the battery goes dead, but you can neatly tuck away a small + wire by wheel well in an emergency to get 12V to the car to unlock with the remote. That's what I did....

·
Registered
'07 Escslade EXT
60 Posts
I replaced a door handle this past weekend with a new GM handle I got off ebay for only $22. I say weekend because on Saturday night I realized I left a flashlight in the door and had to 'finish' the project on Sunday.
Youtube has some videos that can run you through the procedure so you know what you are getting into. The first time, its an hour + job, next time ~20 min.

NiceRide, I have seen you post several times recently for people to remove the key cylinder. However, "the ability to get into the truck if the battery goes dead' is a really really big deal! Because it is not only the battery in the truck but also the battery in the remote or a potential malfunction of either. Please highlight the negatives of the mod better, before you get someone stuck alone in the middle of BFE with no reasonable way into their vehicle. Having said that, if you are in high school and looking for an excuse to get stuck out by the creek with that special someone...this would be a good plan.

·
Registered
2018 XT5 Platinum, 2014 S550
1,653 Posts
djstereo, I agree, I explained a solution to the potential problem, possibly someone broke into your PC post on your end :suspense: and deleted my solution with a suggestion..... I'll elaborate a bit more....

While your at it, replace the Drivers door with the same one, no key cylinder. Less likely to have a knuckle head pop the lock.
You will loose the ability to get into the truck if the battery goes dead, but you can neatly tuck away a small + wire by wheel well in an emergency to get 12V to the car to unlock with the remote. That's what I did....
Note: If you do get locked out and the battery goes dead, you will need some way to get to the battery. You will need a way to get 12v to the truck in order to use your remote or OnStar if you have that service.

I have a 12Ga. wire hidden away by the wheel well that is connected to the battery. If I get locked out and the battery went dead, I just connect jumper cables to the truck. Positive to the hidden wire, and negative to the frame or any good ground. This will give the truck enough to power the door lock with your remote or call OnStar to have them unlock for you.

Hope that clear's it up a bit...

·
Registered
66DeVille Vert 76Coupe Delegance 07Escalade ESV 96Fleetwood 83Coupe Deville 70Calais
661 Posts
I just did one of my handles. A new chrome one is like 18 bucks on ebay. Eventually it will fail too because the metal nut in it is surrounded by plastic like factory. But its cheap to fix and easy. I used that same youtube video. Its easy

1 - 17 of 17 Posts