Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a 5 day trip to Vegas for the NASCAR race I discover that I left the engine running on my 2011 SRX AWD. Of course it was out of gas and the battery completely exhausted. Fueled and jumpered, 60 mile drive home all seems OK except engine light is on. Any clues why? Ideas appreciated, sarcasm expected.

·
Registered
2011 Saab 9-4X Premium XWD
350 Posts
There's probably a sensor in fuel pressure regulator system and when it ran out of fuel, a low reading threw a code. You'll probably have to have it reset by the dealer or a technician with a code reader.

jack vines

·
Registered
2010 SRX Luxury
373 Posts
After a 5 day trip to Vegas for the NASCAR race I discover that I left the engine running on my 2011 SRX AWD. Of course it was out of gas and the battery completely exhausted. Fueled and jumpered, 60 mile drive home all seems OK except engine light is on. Any clues why? Ideas appreciated, sarcasm expected.
I also left my engine running when I visited the LA Motor Show last November, but fortunately it was for 6 hours and it was still running when I
returned so apart from embarrassment no harm was done.

·
Registered
2018 XT5
593 Posts
I have opened my door a couple times to get out and I saw the radio still playing and knew right then the engine was still on. The button is in a terrible place. My Volt was under radio and you could easily see the button and green light. Quit hiding the damn thing out of site.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,449 Posts
jgetgood, Take the car to any large parts store and have them scan the built-in diagnostic system for "codes". The extended idle period and subsequent engine stall may (hopefully) have set trouble codes. If the parts store has no good explanation of the code definitions try to Google "cadillac srx 2011 diagnostic trouble codes" or something close.

Can't you personalize the car to scream "HEY !!!!!" if you exit with the engine running ?

·
Registered
2012 SRX Performance FWD
1,599 Posts
I have opened my door a couple times to get out and I saw the radio still playing and knew right then the engine was still on. The button is in a terrible place. My Volt was under radio and you could easily see the button and green light. Quit hiding the damn thing out of site.
The government says the button can't be too near other controls for fear of accidental pushing while driving.

·
Registered
2012 SRX Performance Collection - 2013 ATS Luxury
104 Posts
I left mine running once at Walmart, I have never admitted it to anyone until now....your post empowered me!:yup:

·
Registered
14 ATS AWD 3.6L Performance - Son of a Gun Grey Metallic
3,074 Posts
You guys realize the button ignition is in a similar spot to where many cars have had ignition keys for the last hundred years, right? (+/- 5 cm)

·
Registered
2010 SRX Luxury
373 Posts
I left mine running once at Walmart, I have never admitted it to anyone until now....your post empowered me!:yup:
Same with me, I had never admitted my error either, it's kind nice to know I'm not the only one, I wonder how many more like us are out there? :yup:

·
Registered
2014 SRX Performance, 2013 CTS-V
501 Posts
Some owners of motor homes tow certain cars with the cars engine running. It doesn't seem to hurt them.
Tom

·
Registered
SRX 2010 Performance Gray Flannel w/ 20" Chrome Wheels
21 Posts
I've found that always pushing alarm button on remote twice I'll hear the horn beep, it won't beep if engine is running.

·
Registered
2012 SRX Performance FWD
1,599 Posts
I've found that always pushing alarm button on remote twice I'll hear the horn beep, it won't beep if engine is running.
Yeah but the point is its nice that the car will lock by itself as your walking away without you having to do anything except listen for the one honk to signify the car is locked while the key remains in your pocket.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
14 SRX Luxury
613 Posts
There was a SRX parked on the street in front of my building in downtown OKC today when I came in with the engine running and nobody in it. When I walked out for lunch it was still running.

·
Registered
2011 SRX
96 Posts
My 2011 SRX ran for one hour while my wife and I dined. I pressed the fob to lock the car and remembered the horn did not honk. I re-opened and re-closed my wife's door thinking it did not fully close, but still no honk. We had the radio playing very low and a really loud truck had started nearby so that drowned out any sound from my engine. I quickly dismissed the lack of honk to some quirk so off we went. Upon return, one does feel rather stupid to realize the engine is running. I have devoted some thought about how this occurred then one day it almost happened again. I had quickly pressed the Start/Stop button to exit but I apparently did not press it the button in far enough to stop the engine. I am convinced I pressed that button the day I left it running, but apparently did not press it "far enough". Note to self, push the start/stop button in all the way until it bottoms out!

·
Registered
SRX
29 Posts
A friend of mine left his car running years ago, when they still had keys and such. When somebody came in and told him it was running out in the parking lot, he told them with a straight face that he had to leave it running because he left the lights on.

Ken

1 - 18 of 18 Posts