Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My left front fender in front of the tire is loose, like a bolt is missing, but I can't tell where a bolt should be. You can grab the bottom of it and move it out 2-3 inches and push it up 2-3 inches. It feels like it should be up, but I can't tell what should be there to hold it up. It feels like it is floppy on the road.

Pass side is solid as a rock. Unfortunately with 10 inches of snow on the ground, I can't really go climbing around under the car. It would help if I had a clue where to look.

Anyone have any ideas?

94 Fleetwood Brougham

·
Registered
49 Posts
when you say the fender in front of the tire are you pulling on the chrome trim at the bottom of the fender? The fender stops short of the bottom and the chrome piece goes lower and is held on at the bottom by a spring. The spring could be missing or you might just be stretching the spring out.

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The trim is ok, but the whole bottom that the trim attaches to is able to move. The spring helps a little, but trim isn't intended to hold this much mass back. I am afraid it will do damage to it long term.

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found it finally. the lower spoiler on the side there is the structural support, and mine is cracked right at the point it bolts to the frame.

I added some springs to help it till I get something new to fix it right. I came up too close on one curb one day and it hit, but I didn't think it was that bad.

Doh!

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is a picture from this site, it is actually a 93, likely a Cadillac picture that was scanned. But by who I don't know.

I haven't towed much at all with mine, but hope too one day, just something cool to have a classy Cadillac towing like the trucks, and more than some even can!! I hope to get a 28-30 footer one day for the wife and I. But for now, I am looking at getting a K2500 454 Suburban to house the kids and wife and tow if needed. I hope to get a 36 foot trailer for the small army I have. But don't know if a K2500 is up to it. We'll have to see.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I thought maybe that was your rig. We have a 35' Open road. We love it. We've been to Louisiana,Mississippi,Florida, Alabama, and of course all over Texas. Its a great way to spend time with the family.
Later

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How much does a 35 footer weigh?

·
Registered
201 Posts
About 8800 pounds.......We have a 2000 Excursion with the Power stroke disel, and chip. The truck pulls great. We get about 13mpg, with the trailer.

·
Registered
1987 Brougham 1978 Seville
254 Posts
Here is a pic of my 1985 FWB towing my boat. Yes it had the 4100 in it and it wasnt the fastest off the line but at highway speeds it was great. You should of seen the looks i got the boat ramp

Attachments

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I saw a 80-84 FWB/Deville 4door pulling out of a RV park one day with a 25-30 footer on back, sagging a little, but pulled out respectedly for having such a large trailer it did well. I suspect 368 power, but it wasn't an HT4100 car, so that ruled out 85, and no 3rd brake light, so no 86-up.

Right at the RV park there on 12 in Volo.....

CaddymanTom said:
Here is a pic of my 1985 FWB towing my boat. Yes it had the 4100 in it and it wasnt the fastest off the line but at highway speeds it was great. You should of seen the looks i got the boat ramp
Looks good! I still love to see a car pulling a trailer, especially when it can....

·
Registered
254 Posts
Was thinking of getting a hitch put on my 1987 FWB but I am scared i would mess up the real wire wheels putting all that weight on them. What do you think?

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Were the wire wheels part of the towing package or allowed with it?

Either way, get a set of caps and steelies for towing, and leave the wires on for classy looks!

Post pictures! I love the factory wires!

CaddymanTom said:
Was thinking of getting a hitch put on my 1987 FWB but I am scared i would mess up the real wire wheels putting all that weight on them. What do you think?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Tom
I just took the hitch off my 87 Brougham. I kept hitting the street when I backed out of the drive. Theses cars sit soo low.

·
Registered
254 Posts
johndfw said:
Tom
I just took the hitch off my 87 Brougham. I kept hitting the street when I backed out of the drive. Theses cars sit soo low.
Man didnt think of that. The roads here have lots of dips and so forth No hitch on the Brougham :helpless:

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Looks nice! Sharp wheels! I love the color too, blue is rare on those cars (at least from what I have seen)

Maybe Sandy can give us a color breakdown for the FW/Broughams/FWB's.

Tom

CaddymanTom said:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2168774

Here you go let me know what you think

·
Registered
254 Posts
Thanks for the nice words. The dark blue has always been my favorite on the Broughams. I also like the black. Both are hard to keep clean here in the dusty desert. But then again I love washing the cars :histeric:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts