Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2006 CTS
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. Im new here.

I have an '06 CTS and im trying to install the flexible LED strips between the headlights and the bumper.

One wire from the LED strip goes to the positive terminal on the battery and the other wire goes to the fuse box under the hood.

The LEDs always stay on, they are supposed to shut off when the ignition is turned off (as stated in the tutorial for the Audi A8 DRLs)

What am I missing? I want the LEDs to turn on and off when the engine does. I didnt think i needed to add any relays or anything. I used the same fuse location as pictured in the tutorial.

·
Registered
'02 ETC CE, '04 CTS-V, '04 XLR, '13 XTS Platinum
2,854 Posts
Without seeing a copy of the installation instructions, it's hard to tell what they're asking you to do. If the LED strip has only two wires feeding it, one will be a low (ground) and the other (high side) needs to come off the ignition circuit or headlamp power. If you've grounded one end and tied the other to the battery, (which is what your post sounds like) it's going to stay illuminated until the battery drains. Try looking for a lighting circuit schematic in the FAQ to emulate the headlamp power distribution scheme.

CCC

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,824 Posts
Or do something that is easier.

In the fuse box there are two fuses that can be moved from one position to another. They both are for the 12V power outlets in the car. One controls the one that is in the center console just under the radio. The other is in the rear of the center console.

Both fuses are set to keep the power out lets on all the time. The other place turns the outlets on and off with the ignition.

Just test which one is which, and also test them to see if they are positive or ground. I will assume they are positive since they are fuses.

KOT

·
Registered
2006 CTS
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok KOT, can you tell me which fuses you are talking about? What are they labeled as on the lid of the fuse box? I would like to try that method.

I should just be able to slide them over a slot and then pinch the positive wire from the LEDs in that slot? Sounds easy enough, I will try it.

Do you guys also recommend getting a little "attachment" for the end of the wire that goes to the battery that has a ring on it so it will fit around the terminal securely? Rather than just stuffing the wire in there and screwing the terminal back in.

·
Registered
06 CTS-V
2,497 Posts
I sure hope you put a fuse on the wire coming from the battery, unless you want a potential fire. I would just tap into the fuse box for a positive lead. you can use an empty slot(spare) and add a fuse, or buy an add-a-circuit instead of just shoving a wire into a fuse socket, they sell them at any automotive parts place. Then just ground the led's ground wire to any bolt on the car. don't know why you would go back to the fuse box for a ground.

I'm not ot sure why you are going from the battery and from the fuse box, what are you grounding to? sounds like you want a fire.

you could also tap into yor corner parking light or your headlight if you want them to turn on with the corresponding lights.

·
Registered
2006 CTS
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So tommy, I can put the positive end of the wire into a fuse slot and the negative and to any bolt on the car to ground it?

I thought i would need to have a wire running to the battery to power it somehow....

·
Registered
2004 CTS
37 Posts
Sounds like you need to hook it to a power wire that runs your parking light. That would probably be the easiest and cleanest way. That way, when the lights are off, so are your leds. Unless you want them on without having the parking lights on? Basically, you need a little understanding of how electricity works in a car. You also need a volt meter to find the appropriate wire. It takes 2 wires to make a light bulb work, one for power (+) and one for ground (-) There are hundreds of wires that can work for what you are trying to do, you just need to test the wires and see which one is switched to positive (or 12 volts) when the key is on, and the power goes away when the key is turned off. The ground should be connected to any bolt that is attatched to the body. It is kind of hard to explain how to do it, basically you need someone that can show you in person, it is really simple.

-Josh

·
Registered
2006 CTS
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Still not working.

I have been testing this over and over again. I have tried putting one of the wires from the LEDs into a fuse slot and the other wire to a bolt on the car. Nothing. I have tried multiple fuse slots.

I have also tried to move the cigarette lighter fuses over one slot and all that does is cut the power to the cigarette lighter completely. It seems like the cigarette lighters have power 100% of the time or they dont at all when i move the fuse over a slot.

I dont know which fuses are hot when the ignition is on. I am going to search with a volt meter right now.

·
Registered
2006 CTS
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
SUCCESS!

Finally. For some reason I had to run the negative end coming from the LEDs (i didnt think there actually was a + or -) to the fuse spot. Then run the positive wire from the lights to a bolt on the body to ground it. It wouldnt work the other way around.

Make sure to get a good ground on the bolt. I had to put a lot of the wire between the bolt and washer.

It was a combo of switching the + and - wires and getting a good ground is what did it for me. The lights look awesome. Glad I finally got it.

Thanks for all the help!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts