Discussion Starter #1
91 sedan de ville
Has any one tried led bulbs for the tail lights if so what do you suggest

I'm looking for more intensity

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,470 Posts
I believe that you'll have to design resistor networks to present the proper load for the flasher system. LEDs alone just don't cut it.

Depending on your OEM bulb numbers, there are others in the series that use brighter primary and secondary filaments. In the newer wedge base bulbs the 3057 is stock, 3157 and 3457 are brighter.

Get into the Osram/Sylvania automotive bulb site and look at the options.

·
Registered
1992 Fleetwood S&S Hearse, 1993 Buick Roadmaster
567 Posts
I believe that you'll have to design resistor networks to present the proper load for the flasher system. LEDs alone just don't cut it.
The man speaks the truth! I've seen the LED bulbs glow dim, flash, blink, all kinds of weird stuff. You gotta use the resistors for best results (or possibly ANY results.) However, if you run a brighter "standard" bulb and you get the desired effect, please post your results so we can mooch off of your hard work. :)

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,273 Posts
91 sedan de ville
Has any one tried led bulbs for the tail lights if so what do you suggest

I'm looking for more intensity
======================
the problem with LED's is they don't work well in reflector type housings -

none of the "regular" 3057 type LED's are bright enough -

our resident electrical engineer made his own with 150 LED's -
and they still weren't bright enough -

·
Registered
2011 DTS Premium w/1SD | 1999 Deville Base (RIP @179K Miles)
404 Posts
How much more heat does the 3457 produce compared to the other two? Is it enough to cause damage to the lamp assembly?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,470 Posts
No. I have had them in my STS since 2007. No problems.

The difference in filament wattage is fairly small. Get into the GE automotive lighting site. They list the wattages and lumens of all auto bulbs.

·
Registered
'99 Seville STS; '96/7 ETC
2,393 Posts
I've used LED's over the years with mixed results.

If you have lamp units with reflectors you need LED "bulbs" with radial LED's: I have those in my Cherokee & they are intensely red (without being so bright they're like stop lights) & light the whole lens. On the other hand, years ago I used single LED tail lights in an XJ40, which produced a pinprick of light in the middle of the (relatively) large lens which you could see a long way back - because that design only directs light straight back.

Not converted my STC because (at least on Euro spec cars) the inner & outer tail lights use completely different bulbs, so was concerned about ensuring equal color/intensity of LED replacements.

Don't share Sub's faith in manufacturers' application charts/lists as have found too many errors & inconsistencies - BUT one can only speak as one finds.

There are aftermarket flasher units that cope with LED's in that application (far better than the old trick of putting a regular bulb in series (but somewhere out of sight!)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts