Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2006 CTS Luxury
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i just bought some led replacement lights for the reverse lights that i have tinted. The color was just a bit too amber and dark. So i bought these big ole' cylinder LED things that have a bunch of LEDs. Swapped out the bulbs and put one of the bulbs in, opposite the other, to see if theres a positive and negative side to it or not. So then when i had my friend put the car in reverse... and everything else that we tried, the lights didnt come on at all. They fit in the socket they are brand new, and they dont seem to have to be plugged in "One way or the other."

Any ideas? Thanks

Is there an easy way to test and make sure the LEDs are not all burnt out, to eliminate that variable from the equation?

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,820 Posts
So the bulbs won't work when inserted into the socket either way? If that is the case, check the fuse. It's in the fuse box that is under the rear seat, it's easy to take out, and in the box that is behind the driver's seat. Also, make sure that the relay works if the fuse is good. Everything is marked on the inside of the fuse box cover. If you are by yourself, here is an easy way for you to test the bulbs. Place a newspaper or something that will cover the light sensor that is in the middle of the dash board. Close all of the doors, lock the doors. Wait a minute for the security light to go out, then press unlock on the remote while you are standing behind the car. The reverse lights should come on, if they don't then I suggest to put the old factory bulbs just to make sure the system is still working.

KOT

·
Registered
2006 CTS Luxury
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well the system is working fine until the new leds were put in. I looked at the lights right before i installed the leds. I could reinstall my old ones and id have working reverse lights. I tried one bulb one way in the left lens and then the other bulb flipped the other way when inserted in the opposite lens. So at least one should work if the bulbs being plugged in backwards could cause a them to not work.

Any suggestions im sure if i just go put the old bulbs back in they would work fine but im not in physical condition to go work some more today.

·
Registered
2006 CTS Luxury
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So my normal reverse lights work perfectly. The bulbs i want dont work. They fit in the socket perfectly just like the normal bulbs but no matter what they dont turn on. I switch back to my old bulbs and they work fine. Is it cuz theres too many LEDs or something? It like a can longer than the normal bulb with a bunch of led bulbs wrapping all around it.

Id love to get this fixed so i can move onto my next 2 projects. Thanks so much.

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,820 Posts
Since you have the bulbs out now, and before you try to take the rear apart again. How about you test the bulbs with a 9 volt battery. Grab two wires and twist one around each of the wires on the bulb. Then make contact with the terminals on the 9volt battery. If it doesn't work, flip the battery so that the terminals are "backwards". If they still don't work, then I sorry to say you got the shaft. But hopefully they do work.

If they pass the battery test, then I suggest in to comparing the factory bulb and the led bulb. As far as the molding is, is there anything on the led bulb that can hender it from going all the way into the socket? Even though you said above that it appears to go in all the way.

KOT

·
Registered
2006 CTS Luxury
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah idk what to do i flipped it again and have one in my car and the other stuck in the lens which sux cuz i have no idea how im gonna get it out. It looks just like the regular bulb socket so idk what wires i would be bending i just see like metal rectangular sheet like thingies lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts