Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
The Mighty Kael, 2004 Black CTS, Every Option
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i figured we needed our own thread on this one.

alright so some of you want new lights for interior and exterior.
here is the problem.
problem is, GM in their infinite wisdom hooked a tonne of the system together.
like bhoth has found out, simply pulling and replacing wont work all the time. GM systems use a resistance feed back to see if things are working, like if your bulb is burnt out , it willdetect the failure of the circuit that would normally be there and make your turn signal flash like hell (this is known as "hyperflash") this can be overcome though with the proper use of resistors. what we have to do is get the LED cluster to have the same resistance as a normal bulb, normally this is a pain the ass, soldering and such. a very nice and very reliable company called: -=drum roll=-
http://www.superbrightleds.com
has many bulbs that should fit, but then we have to figure out the rest of the problems.
the turn signal maybe be fixed by modifying the flasher module, but i dont even know where that is in the cts yet.

(bhoth, this site also has the truck clusters i was talking about)

-K

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
honestly shaft, I dont know. it might just ork or it might not, i really dont know yet.

-K

·
Registered
CTS
1,485 Posts
That's the kind of thing that trial & error will answer. Somebody has to be the guiney pig, then take pictures and post it on line to show us all how it worked and what the effects are!!!:alchi:

·
Registered
2017 CTS-V
1,670 Posts
The only bulbs that have any kind of detection to them are the turn signals. The triangle lights will function normally if you replace it with an LED.

·
Registered
2018 XT5 Black on Black
1,852 Posts
Yes, the two lights that gave the bulb out light were the brake light bulb and the turn signal bulb. The 194 bulbs to the front triangle lights and the side marker will not show on the dash. I'll check into the LED's for the brakes and turn signal with the resistors. I'll show as soon as I can acquire and install them. The interior bulbs look to be straight forward and should be just pop ins. I 'll keep you posted, or if someone gets it done sooner, please post the pic's.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks a lot mbai, i hadnt thought to look at it yet.

·
Registered
2005 CTS 3.6L, 2006 350Z, Ducati 996s
2,449 Posts
Kael said:
i figured we needed our own thread on this one.

alright so some of you want new lights for interior and exterior.
here is the problem.
problem is, GM in their infinite wisdom hooked a tonne of the system together.
like bhoth has found out, simply pulling and replacing wont work all the time. GM systems use a resistance feed back to see if things are working, like if your bulb is burnt out , it willdetect the failure of the circuit that would normally be there and make your turn signal flash like hell (this is known as "hyperflash") this can be overcome though with the proper use of resistors. what we have to do is get the LED cluster to have the same resistance as a normal bulb, normally this is a pain the ass, soldering and such. a very nice and very reliable company called: -=drum roll=-
http://www.superbrightleds.com
has many bulbs that should fit, but then we have to figure out the rest of the problems.
the turn signal maybe be fixed by modifying the flasher module, but i dont even know where that is in the cts yet.

(bhoth, this site also has the truck clusters i was talking about)

-K
Yeah, I posted this site on here awhile ago. They are GREAT to deal with. I haven't had a chance to look at the CTS schematics yet, but there shouldn't be aproblem installing led's besides the brake lights and turn signals. A simple resistor (which that website can provide) should stop the hyper-flash.
Make sure the leds you get, have side diodes as well, LED's have extremely directional light.

Another LED kit you guys may be interested in are the spiderlites they showed at SEMA a year or 2 back. PRetty innovative!

·
Registered
3 Posts
found out the hard way that changing the brake lights over to normal LED's from the store shuts down you traction control. The f-in dealer wants a boatload of money cause i took it in there for warranty after my traction control died after puting led bulbs in. I say no way, I put the same number bulb in that i took out. In my view the fault of the problem lies with gm using the light circuit to monitor your brake activation instead of using another pole on the switch form your brake pedal. that was the cheaper way. They also want me to pay for the new temp sensors they put on the brakes as apparently the traction control shuts down when the brakes overheat. I plan on fighting it as much as I can, I have a feeling the dealer is going to try to hold my car hostage til I pay though.

·
Registered
2003 1SC Diamond White CTS
3,281 Posts
collapsed, here are the pics from my install. It shows the corners of the headlamps.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/735835-post40.html

*EDIT* I suppose I should also mention that I replaced all of the interior lights, the headlamp corner bulbs, license plate lights, and the back up lights and I have no problems with hyperflash. I thought about doing the brake lights, but the top lights are the brake lights and they sit inside of a reflector/refractor housing and I don't think you would see much difference. The turn signal is the middle one and that one (theoretically) would need a resistor. superbrightleds.com as well as autolumination.com have those resistors.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
chicago cts, okay, i wil help with the borla if you do that to my car :)

I checked on jack stands at big lots, 12 bucks a piece :)
and I need a work light

·
Registered
145 Posts
i just replaced all interior bulbs also, no problems there. i installed blue leds in the license plate lights, no problems. i installed the 25 led bulbs in the back up lights, not good refraction outwardly, im waiting on the 32 bulb leds to arrive, they have 6-8 leds facing sideways to help, makes it hard to back up with 20% tint. going to install the corner headlight bulbs this weekend.

·
Registered
2003 1SC Diamond White CTS
3,281 Posts
You buy the bulbs and we can get it done in about an hour and a half.

kc, I used the 25 LED matrix bulbs and they're bright as hell in my car. I have no problem seeing. The matrix bulbs have some that face backwards. I think you might have some fit issues with those 32 LED bulbs. I measured the holes in my back uplight housing before I ordered and I didn't think the 32's would fit. I hope they do for your sake...

·
Registered
2018 XT5 Black on Black
1,852 Posts
Dup, I like the blue Led's as well. I had them in for a couple of weeks, but I'm going back to the white. I am thinking about putting the blue LED's in the side markers with WW's new lenses. My ride looks just as your's Dup except it's an 04. Clean ride by the way. I'm still looking for a set of rims to get excited about.

·
Registered
2018 XT5 Black on Black
1,852 Posts
I agree Chicago, I tried the 25 bulb LED's and didn't see enough of a difference. The design of our rear light's is to maximize halogen bulbs, if it was smooth unrefracting lense, then the Led's would look great. It does work for the reverse lights and I really like the look for the tag illumination(ultra luxury look). Interior LED's should be standard fare. Upscales the look of the interior at night.

·
Registered
03 CTS
359 Posts
Thanks man, I'm the same for the rims. I've had this car for about 3 years now and still can't find any I like. I do like the interior Led's and am going to do that tomorrow. Any brand name I should be looking for?

·
Registered
2018 XT5 Black on Black
1,852 Posts
I've tried to find some localy, but the brands are the cheap variety. Superlumination web site has what you need for sure. Try your local listings to see if their is something locally. I've tried to get the LED's for the DTS to change out with ours, but my dealer doesn't stock them YET! I've been told to avoid the cheap made in China or Korea as they are not well made and may not last.(don't have first hand knowledge one way or another).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts