Cadillac Owners Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

· Registered
2006 CTS-V
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I don't know if you've tried VLEDS they make their own version of the 3000 lumen H10. I've had good luck with them. ( not advertisement , just a suggestion. http://www.vleds.com/bulb-type/fog-lights/h10-9145.html
Their 5000k is really accurate.
Happen to have any pics of the light output/colour? They look a lot like the ones I'm returning, but they're also twice the price. eBay's a gamble sometimes. I usually have great luck, but this time it just didn't work out. Too bad they couldn't get the colour right, 'cause the bulbs seemed great otherwise.

· Registered
2008 DTS PERFORMANCE GONE (R.I.P.)
1,162 Posts
WesH8398 said:
Happen to have any pics of the light output/colour? They look a lot like the ones I'm returning, but they're also twice the price. eBay's a gamble sometimes. I usually have great luck, but this time it just didn't work out. Too bad they couldn't get the colour right, 'cause the bulbs seemed great otherwise.
I couldn't get my photos to upload. Got a new computer and the files aren't a match.
I do know that their 5k LEDs are a very close match to the OEM HIDs.
Give them a call they usually can help with applications.

· Administrator
'05 CTS-V
9,370 Posts
One of my halogen 9005 high beams has burned out, so it's time to pull the front end of the car apart :rolleyes: to replace the high beams. I was looking at going to 100W halogen bulbs, but having looked at the wiring in the headlight (I have my broken PS headlight on hand from an accident last year) I'm not sure that would be wise.

So I'm now I'm thinking of trying out the LED bulbs. I just wish (1) they weren't so expensive compared to halogen bulbs, and (2) it wasn't so damn hard to swap out bulbs on these cars. (That latter point is the more important one - takes away from my motivation to experiment with the bulbs.) Anyway, one thing I was wondering about was the cooling aspect - I think there's room for the different heat sink designs (and since the 9005 bulb is the twist-to-lock-in style, I don't think getting the bulb properly seated would be an issue, as it was with WesH8398). However, if the heat sink is inside the headlight housing I wouldn't think it's going to do much good - no airflow, small volume of air to take away the heat. The various Ebay listings don't say anything about that, but I noticed all the LED bulbs on vleds.com have this image:

Makes sense. Of course, that then begs the question - what do I risk if I leave the cap off the back of the headlight housing to allow the heat sink to do its job? Or maybe drill some holes in it to allow some air to flow?

Attachments

· Registered
2005 CTS-V Maggied
271 Posts
One of my halogen 9005 high beams has burned out, so it's time to pull the front end of the car apart :)rolleyes:) to replace the high beams. I was looking at going to 100W halogen bulbs, but having looked at the wiring in the headlight (I have my broken PS headlight on hand from an accident last year) I'm not sure that would be wise.

So I'm now I'm thinking of trying out the LED bulbs. I just wish (1) they weren't so expensive compared to halogen bulbs, and (2) it wasn't so damn hard to swap out bulbs on these cars. (That latter point is the more important one - takes away from my motivation to experiment with the bulbs.) Anyway, one thing I was wondering about was the cooling aspect - I think there's room for the different heat sink designs (and since the 9005 bulb is the twist-to-lock-in style, I don't think getting the bulb properly seated would be an issue, as it was with WesH8398). However, if the heat sink is inside the headlight housing I wouldn't think it's going to do much good - no airflow, small volume of air to take away the heat. The various Ebay listings don't say anything about that, but I noticed all the LED bulbs on vleds.com have this image:

Makes sense. Of course, that then begs the question - what do I risk if I leave the cap off the back of the headlight housing to allow the heat sink to do its job? Or maybe drill some holes in it to allow some air to flow?
The cap is mainly for dust and moisture/water intrusion. If you remove the cap and drive in those conditions then you can expect to get water and dust inside your housing potentially over time.

Heat kills LED's so the best way is to make sure they get adequate airflow to the heatsinks. Some bulbs have active fans on them!

I have a set of LED High beams from Precision LED that I haven't installed yet due to me not wanting to remove my fascia just yet. Otherwise I would have done it a long time ago. I wish it was easier to change bulbs on this car. It's the one thing that should be easy but isn't. I'm going to be constructing an underbelly fascia closeout panel out of aluminum this summer to replace all the flimsy plastic, I'll be putting the lights in around that same time.

· Administrator
'05 CTS-V
9,370 Posts
A couple months ago I picked up some LED high beams from Amazon. They're JDM ASTAR 8th gen LEDs, and claim 7000 lumens. I finally got around to installing them today. For now I've left the high beam dust caps off the back of the headlights to allow the wiring and controller to fit. I really don't see any sign that much water gets to the back of the headlight, so I think it's low risk from that perspective. However, I am worried about dust getting in there over time, so I'll probably figure out some way to seal things up - drill a hole through the cap to allow the wiring to pass through, then wrap something around to seal the hole?

This is actually the 2nd set of bulbs that I bought. I initially purchased the 7th gen JDM ASTAR bulbs, which have a lower lumen rating, but were also about 20% cheaper. On the 7th gen bulbs, the cord comes off the side of the base of the bulb, which didn't work with our headlight housings. So, back those went, and I bit the bullet and ordered the more expensive 8th gen (after noting in the pictures of those that the cord comes out the center of the base).

I haven't actually driven the car in the dark to test the lights out yet, but I did turn them on briefly while the car was in the garage, just to ensure they were functioning. I tested the passenger side first, while a conventional bulb was still in the driver side headlight, and the difference was impressive. But that was just testing against a surface that was 5ft away, so might not mean much. We shall see...

The JDM ASTAR bulbs use a separate controller (with a ~6" cord between the bulb and the controller), and a medium size heat sink on the bottom of the bulb. The heat sink also has the 3 tabs that lock into the headlight housing. In order to get the bulb aligned properly there's a tiny set screw you can loosen, which then allows you to rotate the heat sink and locking tabs to where they need to be, then tighten the set screw back down. If you look at the shape of the high beam reflector, it makes the most sense to have the LEDs firing to the sides, so that's how I oriented mine. They're not quite symmetrical, so we'll see how that affects the beam pattern when I get a chance to test them at night.

I installed the bulbs while I had the bumper off to remove my grilles for powder coating. When it's time to reinstall the grilles, I'll see about adjusting the bulb positioning and reinstalling the dust caps.

· Administrator
'05 CTS-V
9,370 Posts
Earlier today I had the bumper off to re-install the grilles, and took the opportunity to finish the LED high beam install. As I said above, when I installed the bulbs last week I had left the rear access covers off. I drove through some torrential rain this week without any sign of moisture getting in there, but I was still concerned about the long-term effects of having the headlight housings open (despite what I said in my last post :p). I didn't want to put the LED controllers inside the headlight housings, though, as I figured they'd be too hot. So, I drilled / Dremel'd some holes in the covers, fed the wiring connectors through, then split some washer fluid hose and used that along the edges of the holes to protect the wiring and close the gaps a bit. It's not air tight like the covers are originally, but it's better than having a 3" gaping hole in the back of each housing.

The last pic shows one of the controllers zip-tied in place on the passenger side. Driver side doesn't have a similar convenient wiring harness to make use of, so I zip-tied it through an existing hole in the sheet metal below the headlight.

The LED bulbs are definitely a significant improvement over the conventional bulbs. Hindsight being 20/20, I should've found a good spot where I could park the car and get some idea of the range of illumination of the conventional bulbs vs the LEDs, but I didn't do that. So, no objective data, but it's obvious that they're throwing out a lot more light. Hopefully they'll last a good, long time, as I'm not inclined to spend $100+ on headlight bulbs on a routine basis!

· Registered
2005 CTS-V Maggied
271 Posts
AAIIIC,
Looks good. I would suggest putting a grommet (cut it and seal with silicone) in the headlight hole you made just for peace of mind. It's probably too late now though.

I'm about to do the same LED High beam headlight mod to my car with a set I picked up from Precision LED. They've been sitting in my to-install parts bin for the last year or so :(

I figured I'd replace the entire loose plastic under tray belly pan "system" with a nice single piece of shaped aluminum while I have everything apart also. We'll see how far I get there.

· Registered
06 CTS-V, 2010 CTS-V Sedan
213 Posts
For the DRL's/Blinkers, I had to install a resister so the blinker works correctly. During the day they are on all the time, so you have to be creative wear you install the resister cause that sucker gets really freaking hot... Just got cheap normal LED bulbs of ebay cause I haven't found anything about good LED bulbs that will work properly with the CTS-V fog plug. forgot the bulb number, but it works off of I think three wires.

· Administrator
'05 CTS-V
9,370 Posts
For the fogs, I had to install a resister so the blinker works correctly. During the day they are on all the time, so you have to be creative wear you install the resister cause that sucker gets really freaking hot... Just got cheap normal LED bulbs of ebay cause I haven't found anything about good LED bulbs that will work properly with the CTS-V fog plug. forgot the bulb number, but it works off of I think three wires.
:confused: The fogs are not blinkers or DRLs.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.