Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
'08 DTS Lux III Blk Cherry, '89 Brougham d'Elegance Dip Blue
4,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've wondered about this for a while now, why hasn't someone came out with aftermarket LED brake lights for the Eldorado? It's standard on the new Caddys and most other high market cars, and you can find them for quite a few cars aftermarket. I love the look of the rear of these cars and think that LEDs would make it look that much better. Of course, not the clear ricer looking garbage, factory appearance, just LED.

Anyone else think it would look good, or am I alone on this one?

·
Registered
1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")
6,405 Posts
Is all about market size and potential profit.
If I would have a small plastic molding equipment and some silver plating capacity I would think like this: hmm there are 80 Honda Civic to every Cadillac Eldorado. The typical Honda Civic owner is a high school kid who is thinking all day to nothing but loud mufflers, huge rims (for that car) with painted tires, tinted windows, bad taste body kits, exaggerated spoiler, cheap loud stereos and off course ugly cheap clear LED taillights. Whereas the typical Cadillac Eldorado owner is in his late 30-is probably having a family and thinking on non of the above. Hmm decision, decision … heck yeah I will go with the 80 potential customers.

I am working to fabricate the turn/parking light bulbs for the front out of 96 amber LEDs. So far I ran out of LEDs so I order another set of 100. I have half of one light bulb finished and it looks promising. I do have to install a massive ~2 Ohms/~8W resistor to trick the flasher into believing is still having a regular light bulb, but yeah...is just a lot of work. The final result is the same luminosity level as with the regular filament light bulb, 5 time less current consumption for the parking light and same current consumption for the turn signal (due to the resistor). Other than the instant ON/OFF there would be no difference. But that’s my aim, factory look w/the sharp ON/OFF transition.
If I would had an Eldorado rather than the STS probably I would be starting with the tail light first. Some taillights similar with the ones on Escalade would do justice to this car.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,012 Posts
......heck, I have a bad enough time changing the red power indicator LED's to green units in my stereo gear - much less soldering 100 into light panels. That's true dedication.

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
If someone would get around to making them, I'd have to agree that the thin dark red tail-light strips on the Eldo would look FANTASTIC with a tall strip of LEDs. It's amost as if that tail-lamp was made for it.

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know that it's a simple case of supply and demand and see why it hasn't been done, but at the same time I was thinking that there are enough people around who still really love these cars that there might be enough of a market. N*Caddy I would love to see your car when you get done with all the LED conversions. It would have to look awesome. I love the tail lights on the Eldos and think that having a set of LEDs back there would make it a little more aggressive looking while updating the look a few years.

·
Registered
'03 STS 122K, '01 STS 161K - 3/3/11
671 Posts
So... take N*caddys lead and get a boneyard set and start modding them.

I agree they would look great on an eldo.

·
Registered
1990 350 Brougham (The cruiser), 1988 Mark VII LSC (The DD)
5,545 Posts
They make them for the DeVilles, but not for the Eldos.

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would have to leave the modding up to someone else. I don't have the know-how, much less the time, to do it myself.

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
Sub, you can call it dedication, but that’s just no wife and kids for you, I wouldn’t have the time and money for this stuff other way. The full story is I just acquired a Dremel, a sheet of blank PCB and some Ferric Chloride (plus drill bits – expensive ones, and some other related tools) just for this project. One light bulb is going to cost me ~$100 (not considering my time). That would be divorce for sure…
And yeah Playdrv4me nail-it, every time I see a Eldorado (including a gorgeous one yesterday) I am thinking what was in their minds not to LED the tail lights.
If I would have an Eldorado one of the things to investigate would be how to attach the projector part of a Deville taillight to the lens of an Eldorado taillight (although using Escalate parts will be probably better).
On STS the taillights are not built for LED, so what I am trying to achieve in my case is an LED light bulb that emulates perfectly a filament light bulb minus that ON/OFF momentum. This is why I have the hexagonal column of LEDs that emits equal intensity all around and use the mirror just like the normal light bulb. It also provides me a space in the middle for the resistors and diodes (I chose to have all the LEDs on but at reduced current for parking lights and full current for turn signal or breaks hence the two diodes).
Pictures, DEFINITELT!

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

That just screams for LEDs...

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
The left and right amber parking/turn lights that’s where I am currently working on.

·
Registered
01 eldo
7 Posts
man i love dat ass!!!!!!!!! i hope i dont get kickd out 4 sayin dat but i cant think of another way 2 say it.... i agree wit ya some LEDs wud look killer on dat gorgeous butt...

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The left and right amber parking/turn lights that’s where I am currently working on.

Very sharp STS you have. Can't wait to how it turns out. Are you running HIDs? I'd really like to do that to mine, but not sure what it might cost though. The HIDs look SO much better than stock.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,012 Posts
Try a pair or set of PIAA Intense White 4100K bulbs. You might be surprised.

9006 lows, 9005 highs for the '98 - '04 series.

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Sub. I've thought about putting Sylvania Silverstars in it but can't bring myself to spend the extra money on regular bulbs right now when there's really nothing wrong with the originals. It made me mad one day. I pulled up in front of my store and saw in the refection of the window that I had a fog light out. So I went and bought an $8 fog light bulb. When I was messing around with it trying to see how hard it would be to get out, guess what started working again... haven't had problems out of it since.

·
The Last Good Gremlin
06 XLR-V and 96 Eldorado ESC-V -- One day ;)
2,654 Posts
That just screams for LEDs...
O.K. For those that really want them, I've done most of the legwork for you. The guys at CustomClassic have a set sitting on the shelf. I called them and negotiated a deal to put two columns of LEDs (118 leds) into my existing housing. The owner said he'd give it a shot so I sent him a pair I got from the junkyard. After a few months he let me know he had a working prototype that operates just like the newer Devilles, i.e., one column is parking lights, opposite column for turn signals, and both for brakes. Our deal was $189 plus shipping but I had to supply the tail light housings. That was over a year ago so he probably wants a little more.

This is not a simple mod. As soon as I got the housings from the junkyard and tried to open them, I knew I needed a professional to do this. That's why I contacted CustomClassic. The housings are sealed from the factory and he had to cut the lenses from the housing, create the connectors from scratch, plasticweld the LEDs in place, seal the unused light bulb holes, then reattach the lenses.

He's probably pissed at me because I originally wanted him to create clear tail with LEDs for me and after I sent him the housings he said it couldn't be done. I then commissioned him to do some like this.

But ran outta cash and lost interest cause I still want clear tails. He still has my 96 Eldo set sitting on the shelf waiting for me to fail to create the clear tails.

If you guys are really interested - call him, tell him you'll send the $$$ with the housings and I'm sure you'll be impressed.

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The question is, though, what might he want for them? And do they connect like the factory lamps or do you have to change the wiring?

·
The Last Good Gremlin
06 XLR-V and 96 Eldorado ESC-V -- One day ;)
2,654 Posts
The question is, though, what might he want for them? And do they connect like the factory lamps or do you have to change the wiring?
He's real reasonable, I would guess under $250. And yes they connect to the factory connectors.

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
Very sharp STS you have. Can't wait to how it turns out. Are you running HIDs? I'd really like to do that to mine, but not sure what it might cost though. The HIDs look SO much better than stock.
Thanks, you might want trying what Sub told you, the HIDs are ever so slightly not legal. But yeah, she does have HID; a conversion kit will cost you anything from $50 to $450. But for the love of God don’t buy cheap stuff (i.e. <$200).

As for the Deville taillights I remember seeing some pictures posted here somewhere...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts