Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2006 DTS Black Raven
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title states I will be leaving the country. SOOO here goes. What to do what to do.:hmm:

As you guys can see I have an 06 DTS. The best Caddy I've had so far. I just got picked up for a contract for overseas. Very excited since now I can go join my fiance. Shes in Qatar and I'm headed to Kuwait. Same company, different location, but only an hour plane ride away.

Anyways, Here's where I need help making a decision. I came up with a couple of choices for myself to choose from.

Here goes:

We are planning on being overseas well over 5 years maybe more if we like. Who knows. Here's where the problem lies.:banghead: What to do with my black on black beast (she gets a lot of attention). I've been beating myself in the head trying to decide so I came here to get some input from my fellow Caddy owners.

I was thinking of giving it to my little brother who is graduating high school next year as a gift upon graduation, but then I was thinking would that be too much of an upgrade for him because he doesn't have a car now nor does he have a license. Not to hold it against him but Caddy requires a little bit of skill as we lead footers know. Plus he might get hit with the high insurance for having less than a year driving experience and driving a fairly new luxury vehicle. See where I'm going with this. So that was what I first thought about in regards to my car.

Next there's my grandma who is getting ready to retire later this year. She drives a 96 Camry that she bought new and has a lot of miles on it now but is in pretty good condition to be over 10 years old. That's besides the point though. So I thought hmm....maybe give it to my grandma. She'll keep it garaged and everything and take care of it. Well here lies another problem. She is a Lincoln fan and has been talking about getting herself an Aviator as a present for herself. Sooo....hmmm. Don't get me wrong. She loves my car but if she wants an suv from the competition then maybe she prolly would use my car and still get one anyways. Who knows.

I would give it to my parents but my mom has an 06 Maxima, while my dad has an 06 Armada, 07 Tundra, and an I don't know what year Honda motorcycle plus a boat to match the truck. Driveway is packed. That won't work.

Then I started thinking should I be selfish and just hang on to it. That would be too painful to let it sit plus the fact that I won't be out there on the road turning heads with her anymore. The agony.:crying:

Definitely not shipping her overseas.:tisk: Not even worth it to do that plus my girl says Qatar has the latest and greatest.

Good thing is when we do decide to come home I will keep it Caddy all day. Hopefully the CTS convertible comes out if not I will just get the XLR. I love that car. So nice. Anyways you guys see the stress I'm going through right now. Well I don't know when I'm leaving since I'm still waiting on my offer letter, etc.

Hopefully someone has some good suggestions.:helpless:

·
Registered
91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)
4,396 Posts
One of my sons is headed back to the middle east for about 15 months on contract. His younger brother and sister-in-law will be driving his black Impala SS. He plans on buying a Yukon Denali or Escalade when he comes back.

·
Registered
2008 DTS Lux III (assembled January 31, 2008)
272 Posts
You could place it in storage. My '96 Impala SS has been in storage for four years now.

You could also sell it.

I wouldn't give it to your brother. While he will be very grateful, he wont look after it to your standards, and you will be disappointed in him. It will lead to friction in your brotherly relations.

Better to take one of the above-noted options.

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
I have a neighbor in San Antonio who specializes in selling used BMWs, Mercedes, Porschs etc. (Plus regular cars). His name is Sonny Hogan. His website is concoursemotors.com.

Good honest man. I have known him for 5 or 6 years. I worked for him also. He might consider selling it on consignment for you.

Ed
cell ph: 210-247-8855.

I can put you in touch with Sonny if you are interested. He has had a few Caddies on his lot.

·
Registered
2006 DTS Black Raven
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You could place it in storage. My '96 Impala SS has been in storage for four years now.
I want one of those so bad. Looks like I will be able to get one after a little time over there, but yea I was thinking bout the car for my brother and thought the same thing. I may just keep it garaged so when we come back stateside I have something to drive. More comfortable and convenient then driving a rental.

Well I got my offer letter today and faxed it back so looks like it's crunch time all the way around. I finally get to leave VA. I can't even explain the excitement over that. Can't take this place no more. Nothing like Louisiana. Oh well.

·
Registered
2006 DTS Black Raven
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
So the time has come my Caddy family. I'm leaving on the 11th. I think my car will really miss me but my grandma will give it the tlc it needs. Left VA yesterday. Made it in 8hrs on I95 considering the bad rain I encountered but she handled quite well and kept me safe. Currently chilling in Atl til Monday afternoon hopefully. If any of you guys happen to be on I20 keep your eyes peeled for that murder black caddy (thats what this one girl called her) cruisin by at a high rate of speed. Usually moving no slower than 85mph. Cruise control :cool2: . Keep you guys posted on this journey. Still gotta find time to hit Oklahoma before Friday. So SuperJim, you won't be the only one abusing the Texas roadways.

·
Registered
2011 DTS Platinum
4,633 Posts
If you are going to be coming thru the FT. Worth / Dallas area...PM me and I will send you my phone number.

Maybe we can get together and have a Coke or something.

Texas Jim

·
Registered
2006 DTS Black Raven
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you are going to be coming thru the FT. Worth / Dallas area...PM me and I will send you my phone number.

Maybe we can get together and have a Coke or something.

Texas Jim
right now im not sure if i will even be able to head that way now..got some dental stuff to tomorrow and im hoping it wont take any longer than a few hours...gotta register my car back in LA and take care of a few other things...my mom will be disappointed if i cant get up there to see the fam...got my fingers crossed tho
SouthernCountry, good luck. Bob
thanks..ima need some portable ac out there too...lol

·
Registered
2006 DTS Black Raven
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How's everyone living. I have to say Kuwait is nicer than I thought it would be. America really paints an ugly picture of the rest of the world. Don't believe what you see on tv. This place is amazing even tho its hot as hell and so much dust other than that it is a great place. Except alcohol is illegal but theres ways around that:cool2:. The best thing is. I can get me a Caddy out here. :banana::p:bancha::cloud9:. Even better is now I can see my baby who is working in Qatar. The best of both worlds. :excited::quagmire::RightTurn:

·
Registered
2006 DTS Black Raven
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hows everybody doing. Hopefully everyones DTS is treating them well going into the new year.

I didn't want to open a new thread for something that may be simple.

As you guys know I'm outta country. I left my car with my grandmother. She takes care of our things when needed.
Anyways she told me my car was struggling to start on certain occasions. So I had her take it to the dealer to get checked. They said nothing was wrong. That was a few weeks ago. She had them change the oil and she said it seemed to be fine after that. I had her get the battery tested. Battery was fine. She emailed me a couple days ago and told me my car won't start at all and nothing lights up.

I can't think of anything in my car that could be draining my battery but I do remember back in February my car was dead. I had the battery checked then and it was fine. The dealer she went to was a Chevy dealer as I'm from a nice size town. The closest Caddy dealer is 45mins away. I'm going to have her take my car to Autozone to get a new battery just to be safe and then head out there when she can.

I don't have any idea as to what is wrong with my car and I don't want her to keep having to drive around trying to see what the problem is.Any ideas?

·
Registered
2011 DTS Platinum
4,633 Posts
I don't know what might be draining the battery.
Have her check and MAKE SURE that no cell phone chargers or anything else like that, are left plugged in.

I know that if mine sets for more than a week...it just barely starts.
Been like that since it was brand new.
Had the battery replaced one time...made no difference.

Good luck, and be careful over there.

Texas Jim

·
Registered
2016 XTS4, 2010 DTS (gone), '07 STS4 (gone), '03 DHS (gone)
678 Posts
Just like the many electronic goodies in your house have a phantom power draw when they're plugged in but not formally "switched on", so modern Cadillacs have phantom draining of the battery.

For instance, if you have Nav, and you walk up to the car in your quiet garage and open the door, you can hear the disk drive powering up. There's all sorts of items that are basically on standby, waiting to sense the fob or ready for the press of that remote trunk unlock.

I've read elsewhere in this forum that you should try to start your Caddy at least once a week, and preferably drive it even if it's just around the block, to eliminate the type of situation that Jim describes in the above post.

·
Registered
2008 DTS LUX III - Gold Mist traded for 2004 Tbird
1,511 Posts
Most people who do this repetitively use a trickle charger on the battery whether it be a car, boat, RV, etc. When I had my BMW, it came with a trickle charger.

With a trickle charger, NOT a "Battery Charger", you merely plug it into the wall and plug it into the cigaret lighter.

Here's a pic of the charger and the description.

Genuine BMW Battery Charger The Advanced Battery Charging System is a 1.25 Amp battery charger designed to fully charge and maintain a battery at a proper storage voltage without the damaging effects caused by trickle chargers. The new BTP micro-chip technology applies the correct peak charge, then automatically maintains the battery at the perfect float voltage which virtually eliminates battery destroying sulfation! Temperature compensation ensures optimal charge voltage even in extreme weather conditions. Powder coated aluminum chassis. Spark Proof! Reverse polarity protection ensures safety. Built in 72 hour timer will protect a marginal battery from over charging. The power cord is 6' in length, the cord to the lighter is 7' in length.

Attachments

·
Registered
2006 DTS Black Raven
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yea she sticks to the weekly startup and she takes it for a spin to keep her youth alive. Its better if I was there and I prolly won't be home for vacation til May.

I don't have anything plugged in to any of the outlets and I know she doesn't have a need to use it.
Here's another issue I have. My key doesn't open the driver door. I don't know why and I should have had that looked at before I left but I dragged my feet. So if the battery drains completely she may not be able to into my car. Good thing is my Uncles will be there in a few weeks so they can take a look.

·
Registered
Cadillac 2006 DTS Lux II
176 Posts
Don't our cars do computer self diagnostics when the vehicle is idle periodically? Microprocessors don't use much juice, but over time....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts